News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

From what I've read the York campus is in the middle of nowhere and about an hour away from downtown.

Definitely don't get a car if you'll be living downtown. York is just up the subway, and true BRT will be in place between Downsview station and YorkU by the time you are enrolled.

I'll be taking classes at some of the community colleges too, so I'll be travelling around quite a bit.

Which community colleges?

I really wouldn't count on the BRT getting built to York any time soon. They've been in talks about it forever. When I went to York over 10 years ago, they've been discussing about it and it never materialized. Even if they did start work on it now, it will be over budget and double or more the predicted completion time. However Downsview does have added advantage of an express bus to York U. But like I said...if you work late at school, it's not such a great way to travel. There's the option of sleeping at the bear pit though.

I really wouldn't count on the BRT getting built to York any time soon. They've been in talks about it forever.
It's under construction right now ... it was supposed to open in September, but it's only partially open, but should be open before Christmas. As soaringshrimp is not coming until next year, I don't see that this is an issue.

As for the comments about the area around York being sketchy ... and concern about sexual assults ... let me get this straight ... someone from Vancouver is expressing concern about crime and safety in Toronto???

Get an e-bike for between $1,000 and $2,500. No insurance or license. However, you need to have a helmet and be over 16. You can, at this time, use bike paths and lanes with an e-bike.

bike-2-r.jpg

bike-1-r.jpg

^^ What's that first bike there? Is it just an ordinary bike with a battery pack or something for extra power?
My bike is getting quite old, and depending on the quality and weight, I might actually be interested in the first picture.

I think the first one might be an electric bike? It's good and bad I think. I've heard if the battery dies, it's harder to push it than a regular bike. So let's hope you never run out of battery.

I think the first one might be an electric bike? It's good and bad I think. I've heard if the battery dies, it's harder to push it than a regular bike. So let's hope you never run out of battery.

You think that's bad? Imagine trying to pedal that big purple scooter.

Depends.

I would suggest trying without a car first and if you hate it, then get a car. If it were me, I absolutely would have a car, but then again I'm no longer a student. However, when I was a student, I was much more willing to deal with not having a car, to save money.

I don't understand the suggestions to get an ebike or bike or scooter or whatever if downtown is going to be a frequent destination, because it would take forever to get from York U to downtown by ebike, bike, or scooter. Not very effective in the winter either. It's either car or public transit.

It's under construction right now ... it was supposed to open in September, but it's only partially open, but should be open before Christmas. As soaringshrimp is not coming until next year, I don't see that this is an issue.

As for the comments about the area around York being sketchy ... and concern about sexual assults ... let me get this straight ... someone from Vancouver is expressing concern about crime and safety in Toronto???
UBC is in a VERY nice area.

I don't understand the suggestions to get an ebike or bike or scooter or whatever if downtown is going to be a frequent destination, because it would take forever to get from York U to downtown by ebike, bike, or scooter. Not very effective in the winter either. It's either car or public transit.

When the road is not icy, a bike or e-bike would be the best way to do local trips, and if it's not rush hour, you take it with you on the train, or bike rack on the bus.

When the road is not icy, a bike or e-bike would be the best way to do local trips, and if it's not rush hour, you take it with you on the train, or bike rack on the bus.
Local trips yes, but that doesn't really answer the question of car vs. public transit, because one of the two will still be necessary.

You should've opted for Ryerson or University of Toronto. The latter is more prestigious, while Ryerson is comparable to York. Both of the unis are in very convenient areas with night life. I'd argue that McMaster University (2-4 km away from downtown Hamilton) is far more convenient as well.

York needs to be densified. The Spadina line extension and the Finch/Sheppard LRT should make that possible.

Back