News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

That doesn't mean, though, that there isn't lots TTC's HR department could be doing to promote local employment. Why aren't they in schools promoting themselves as a good place to work for graduates? Why don't they work with employment services organizations to place qualified but unemployed people? Why do I get the impression that most people who work for the TTC got there because they knew someone else who worked at the TTC?

Knowing someone working at the TTC (front line workers) doesn't help your chances much. They can provide reference but thats only one stepping stone. Believe me, I have been trying to get my sister a job at hillcrest for along time and no luck. My friends have asked me to get them in and no luck. Maybe in the past like 10-20 years ago, but now a days you just put in your app and cross your fingers.

Essential service pretty much takes away the unions power to force management to an agreement by threatening a strike (the biggest weapon we have).

Last year's wasn't a wildcat strike. The contract offer was voted down by the general membership, which caused an automatic strike.
True ... (though there's nothing automatic about a strike ... unions can go years without agreeing to a new contract and never striking).

The big issue with the strike was that the union broke their promise to not start it without prior notice, and walked out at midnight one Friday stranding thousands of people downtown without a way of getting home. I think that move made it very clear what the union's word is worth. There was no reason to lie like that ... except simple disrespect for the people of Toronto.

Back