News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't usually like Fiorito much, but that's a decent piece.

“We spend a lot of money on safe neighbourhoods; that spending needs to be assessed; the guns and gangs task force needs to be assessed.” He thinks we should begin by asking questions of the police, the social workers, the community leaders; above all, he thinks we should talk to the shooters.
I don't disagree with anything he has said, but it's only a start. I don't think Fiorito wants to make blanket statements any more than his crime prof or the police chief - but if you're "talking to the shooters" - who are you talking to? How old are they and where do they live, and does their background or upbringing influence who they become?

And then he nailed the question. “Something has happened in the street culture of crime over the past 20 or 30 years, something that enables people to shoot each other.”
What do we think has happened to street culture of crime?

cd108, this isnt this the RF thread or the Scarborough subway thread. I'm talking about about a media bias when it comes to crime reporting in Scarborough and using this shooting as a prime example.

You'd be right about a media bias if the media consistently reported crime in Scarborough while downplaying or ignoring crime in other parts of the city, but that doesn't seem to be happening. Or are you implying that there's a tendency to paint Scarborough as unsafe/crime-ridden because things like this shooting happen? 'All crime, all the time'? Do you not remember people saying in the wake of the Eaton Centre and College St shootings (and further back, the 2005 Boxing Day shooting) that they would avoid going 'downtown' (remember, downtown is a pretty big area) as a result?

'Two people are in hospital after a shooting overnight in Scarborough, but actually some parts of Scarborough are quite nice' - is that the sort of fair reporting we should be striving for?

I only brought it up as another example of 'deflecting'.

You can't 'help' things if you can't even discuss them factually. malvern2 is opposed to saying "Scarborough", but if police efforts and government resources are needed to help solve/prevent these sorts of crimes, should they be focusing instead on Mimico?

Haha, Mimico, not Etobicoke... you just proved malvern2's point.

I'm no expert, but it seems like street crime has become the domain of people who are easily offended by each other's mere presence and who have easy access to firearms.

Of more generally - firearms (and the willingness to use them) had become the replacement for shriveled cojones and overcompensates for the "have nots".

AoD

Ethics, honour and code have gone out the window. They were actually important elements in gangs for a long time. There were unwritten rules. We have seen the same devolution in politics, the only difference being that this devolution helps politicians get elected. In the gang world, it hurts the gang. Politicians are somewhat smart, low-level gang members are dumb.

Honestly, watch The Wire.

Haha, Mimico, not Etobicoke... you just proved malvern2's point.
The neighbourhood is apparently called West Hill according to the Star - http://www3.thestar.com/static/googlemaps/starmaps.html?xml=090120_shapetool_neigbourhoods.xml and Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Hill,_Toronto

But then no one would know what area is being talked about. Mimico is an old town itself, and well defined. Not sure how you describe Lawrence and Morningside as anything other that Scarborough. Some seem to be calling it East End Toronto ... but how Lawrence is East End I don't know ... surely East End is west of Victoria Park.

Scarborough isn’t even a city anymore so why even bother saying it? By continuously saying Scarborough in every news article you are painting a huge swath of the city as somehow having involvement in a horrible incident in one small portion of the city. If this happened anywhere else in Toronto the media would never have referred to it as North York or East York and never ever Downtown Toronto….when was the last time a shooting in Jane-Finch was referred to as North York?!

Scarborough isn’t even a city anymore so why even bother saying it? By continuously saying Scarborough in every news article you are painting a huge swath of the city as somehow having involvement in a horrible incident in one small portion of the city. If this happened anywhere else in Toronto the media would never have referred to it as North York or East York and never ever Downtown Toronto….when was the last time a shooting in Jane-Finch was referred to as North York?!
That's the most bizarre thing I've ever heard.

Scarborough is still a recognized district of Toronto. Everyone knows where it is. And it's the smallest geographical area around that everyone knows where it is. Do you think that perhaps University of Toronto should rename it's Scarborough campus as Toronto? They could all their campuses Toronto ... :)

The media often refers to North York or Downtown Toronto ..

Really, there's people dead, and your big concern is that the media identified the shooting as happening in Scarborough, instead of saying Toronto? I've never heard such a complete and total lack of perspective before!

At least they didn't say east end Toronto, which would only confuse people.

The neighbourhood is apparently called West Hill according to the Star - http://www3.thestar.com/static/googlemaps/starmaps.html?xml=090120_shapetool_neigbourhoods.xml and Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Hill,_Toronto

But then no one would know what area is being talked about. Mimico is an old town itself, and well defined. Not sure how you describe Lawrence and Morningside as anything other that Scarborough. Some seem to be calling it East End Toronto ... but how Lawrence is East End I don't know ... surely East End is west of Victoria Park.

West Hill is relatively well-known, but not quite as well known as Rexdale, Malvern or Downsview, the difference is that people's mental boundaries differ. What one person's West Hill might be another's Highland Creek or Guildwood. Downsview "stretches" all the way to Jane/Sheppard or into Dublin Heights.

I wasn't asking the question to get answers for myself, it was to spur discussion from the article posted.

No thanks on The Wire - it's no more appealing to me than Oz was.

Then I wonder how this discussion is appealing to you?

1. Pix

2. Before I moved to Scarborough, I generally knew where Guildwood was. However, I didn't know where West Hill was. It would have had about as much meaning for me as Cliffcrest, before I moved nearby. Although in truth, back then, to me Scarborough was that area fused with Markham with all the Chinese restaurants.

In any case, I think it's perfectly reasonable to say "Shootings in the Lawrence and Morningside area in Scarborough (or east end)".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back