News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

East Village vs The Quarters or Blatchford.

Nuff said.
An MDC likely wouldn't have made the difference in The Quarters unless it was created 20 years ago and the COE had acquired and consolidated most of the private holdings there by that time. If it was created say, in 2017 at the same time as the Edmonton Community Development Company, I doubt we would've seen much of a difference compared to the current state of the area.

An MDC likely wouldn't have made the difference in The Quarters unless it was created 20 years ago and the COE had acquired and consolidated most of the private holdings there by that time. If it was created say, in 2017 at the same time as the Edmonton Community Development Company, I doubt we would've seen much of a difference compared to the current state of the area.
My point.

Edmonton chose a certain path forward, as did Calgary and both were nearly in parallel .

I think the state of East Village vs. Quarters has more to do with the nature of the nearby downtowns than the nature of any development body.

Edmonton still has much more available land for residential development elsewhere in the downtown core. Three of the most commented projects happening here right now are in or elsewhere in proximity to the downtown core. Much of Calgary's core is already taken up by office towers.

CMLC has done a great job with East Village in a city where there continues to be significant demand for people being downtown due to employment and other reasons. CMLC has actually employed competent real estate people as well as independent board members.

The City of Edmonton continues to focus on other things like competing with the private sector in the greenfield in Goodridge Corners, Aster and Laurel. Additionally, the COE maintains they know better on all things of greenfield, Exhibition Lands and Blatchford.

Back