News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Not pro-business?!
This is the most pro-business council we have ever seen! They removed minimum parking, they liberalized the zoning bylaw, and they are afraid to fight developers on the unending, city-killing sprawl. This City Council is too pro-business!
I would agree there is a fairly cozy relationship between council and developers now, maybe a bit more so now, but that has long been the situation.

I realize being pro developer and pro business can be confused, but they are not exactly the same thing.

It kind of reminds of a previous BC government political party that received an inordinate amount of contributions from the real estate industry. It was lucrative and worked for a while, but the narrow focus excluded a lot of other people and so that party was eventually voted out.

Isn't one of the primary aims of the zoning bylaw precisely to reign in sprawl?
It will not do that in my opinion. Zoning isn't really a tool for that. It will make for more development choices in mature areas, and we are slowly shifting more of our total units built every year to infill, but to actually curb sprawl would be to actually curb sprawl itself -- not approving new ASPs, etc. That has consequences. Changing the zoning doesn't really move the needle that much.

Last edited:
As someone who served 7 years on SDAB, I highly encourage everyone to consider volunteering their time and sharing their expertise and perspective on City boards. They are incredibly rewarding, you learn A LOT and I met a vast quantity of wonderful people throughout my time.

Building a Stronger Town: An Evening with Charles Marohn​

Building financially resilient communities. Keynote delivered by Charles Marohn, Founder and President of Strong Towns.

Sooo…

You have to wonder if Calgary Mayor Gondek and those like her who now consider lighting a Menorah to be “pro-Israel” consider Christmas Tree lighting to be more “pro-Italian” or “pro-Norwegian”? :(

Sooo…

You have to wonder if Calgary Mayor Gondek and those like her who now consider lighting a Menorah to be “pro-Israel” consider Christmas Tree lighting to be more “pro-Italian” or “pro-Norwegian”? :(
From my understanding, Gondek showed up last year to the same ceremony and it seemed to just be the same this year until a switch by the organizers happened yesterday or the day before.

Considering the fact that they're having Israeli war bonds as part of the ceremony/event? I don't blame her at all for withdrawing one bit. Lighting the menorah is fine and dandy, but adding those caveats change the nature of the event. I'm in complete agreement with her decision to withdraw.

If the Calgary subreddit (who loathes Gondek) are actually level-headed about this, then I think we can be so as well.

Sooo…

No link + oversimplification = online discourse

This is a very messy situation with no right answer for Gondek.

Sooo…

I believe Christmas trees came mainly from Germany (although Norway may make sense too). Interestingly, I believe we still had them here during WW1 and WW11.

We should also be careful not to conflate religions, nations and politics. Should we condemn Christians for slavery, Islam for terrorism ...? I feel it can get too muddled, we should just celebrate a religious event without getting into politics.

^

it’s pretty hard to disagree with that sentiment.

IMG_8835.jpeg

we need to be lighting more lights for each other, not extinguishing them or ignoring them, regardless of who is holding the candle.

"During their presentation on Tuesday to city council, administration said costs are being partially offset with lower personnel costs “due to unfilled vacancies across various city departments.” Higher membership and admission revenue for recreational facilities and programs is adding to the offset."

interesting that there was no mention of how much the city saves every day it doesn't snow and how much of the $22 million drop from earlier year end estimates is due to the weather. of course administration can't take credit for the weather...

Back