News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Sooo…

I just worked up the nerve to open my 2024 Property Tax Notice.

It turns out the City of Edmonton wants 25.7% more from me in 2024 than I paid them in 2023.

25.7%!!!

I guess it’s time to fire up the printing press in the basement that the City of Edmonton seems to think I own. 😞

Sooo…

I just worked up the nerve to open my 2024 Property Tax Notice.

It turns out the City of Edmonton wants 25.7% more from me in 2024 than I paid them in 2023.

25.7%!!!

I guess it’s time to fire up the printing press in the basement that the City of Edmonton seems to think I own. 😞
Even more salt in the wounds when you drive the street and see grass that has yet to be cut this year, along with weeds that no longer get sprayed. More money for less service!

Weeds sprayed? What century are you living in? No City sprays that poison on its residents anymore.
Yes thanks tips, my point is there was obviously money allocated to that at some point in time, in addition to grass actually getting cut in a timely manner in addition to some one with a weed whacker actually trimming around bus shelters, trees, lights. Also, there used to be a horticulture team that actually came by more than once per year. The boulevards around my place look like trash. Dead trees every where. Dead bushes that are over grown by weeds, it’s a joke. This is a basic service

Yes thanks tips, my point is there was obviously money allocated to that at some point in time, in addition to grass actually getting cut in a timely manner in addition to some one with a weed whacker actually trimming around bus shelters, trees, lights. Also, there used to be a horticulture team that actually came by more than once per year. The boulevards around my place look like trash. Dead trees every where. Dead bushes that are over grown by weeds, it’s a joke. This is a basic service
Exactly, in the late 90's grass was maintained, looked good and was kept clean. Instead, the city has pi$$ed away how many millions on electric buses that do not work, had a "world class" composter that needed repair because of rust and of course the stellar, oh, the LRT cars need replacing - but we have no money. Who on earth is running the show, this is basic house keeping. You have an asset that has a set life, you plan for it over the years. Simple, eH. I can actually see a time when the High Level Bridge will be torn down due to structural issues and the city wont have the cash to replace it - even though everybody and their dog knows this bridge will need major fixing up at some point.
I suppose then the province/ feds will have to kick in some $$ as it has some sort of designation.
Our civic leaders need to focus on their constituents, and quit wasting dollars to turn us into a world class city. Edmonton is a mid sized city on the Canadian prairies, accept this, and move on to fixing potholes, cleaning the place, clearing snow etc.
As a side rant, when people are suppose to do community service, why are they not out there cleaning the place ? I think the city unions would have something to complain about that.

100%

Pathetic look for a City of our size if you ask me. Started with Iveson (I believe) and his group and has continued with Sohi and his. Cut the damn grass at schools too. Holy. My son played baseball last night and it was like playing in jungle on parts of the field. The ball just died in the grass as it was being hit to the kids.

Exactly, in the late 90's grass was maintained, looked good and was kept clean. Instead, the city has pi$$ed away how many millions on electric buses that do not work, had a "world class" composter that needed repair because of rust and of course the stellar, oh, the LRT cars need replacing - but we have no money. Who on earth is running the show, this is basic house keeping. You have an asset that has a set life, you plan for it over the years. Simple, eH. I can actually see a time when the High Level Bridge will be torn down due to structural issues and the city wont have the cash to replace it - even though everybody and their dog knows this bridge will need major fixing up at some point.
I suppose then the province/ feds will have to kick in some $$ as it has some sort of designation.
Our civic leaders need to focus on their constituents, and quit wasting dollars to turn us into a world class city. Edmonton is a mid sized city on the Canadian prairies, accept this, and move on to fixing potholes, cleaning the place, clearing snow etc.
As a side rant, when people are suppose to do community service, why are they not out there cleaning the place ? I think the city unions would have something to complain about that.
In the late 90’s this city was in its worst shape ever and was garbage strewn and had issues with graffiti.

Multiple years of Bill Smiths 0% tax increases saw a huge portion of our roads at or near failing.

You are remembering the late 90’s through some pretty thick bias friend.

Dead plants are replaced in the early spring or fall as transplanting / planting is summer heat results in a higher rate of failure.

This is just gardening 101.

100%

Pathetic look for a City of our size if you ask me. Started with Iveson (I believe) and his group and has continued with Sohi and his. Cut the damn grass at schools too. Holy. My son played baseball last night and it was like playing in jungle on parts of the field. The ball just died in the grass as it was being hit to the kids.
Its called no mow May. Its a choice and its done for ecological reasons.

Don you know what else started with Iverson? The province freezing or reducing funding to our municipalities. Hard to maintain services when the province gives you (effectively) one funding vehicle, cuts funding grants and takes away the few other funding vehicles.

I implore you to actually learn how our cities are run/funded.

Last edited:
Its called no mow May. Its a choice and its done for ecological reasons.

Don you know what else started with Iverson? The province freezing or reducing funding to our municipalities. Hard to maintain services when the province gives you (effectively) one funding vehicle, cuts funding grants and takes away the few other funding vehicles.

I implore you to actually learn how our cities are run/funded.
Great, don't care what it's called.

School fields should be taken care of though as multiple groups use them during the spring and summer. Letting them grow to be unacceptable to play on isn't fair to the kids and adults that play on them.

I have a general idea how cities are run. No need to talk down to me.

Great, don't care what it's called.

School fields should be taken care of though as multiple groups use them during the spring and summer. Letting them grow to be unacceptable to play on isn't fair to the kids and adults that play on them.

I have a general idea how cities are run. No need to talk down to me.
Ok then I won’t.

I cant wait to see the continued growth you display from your continued learning, that I am sure will occur.

Peace friend, I hope you find some joy today.

Is the city responsible for school yard maintenance, or does that fall on the school board(s)?
I believe EPSB has an agreement with the City to mow their fields and maintain their playgrounds.

And fwiw, sports fields in this city account for what, maybe 10% of total turf areas maintained? If that? The City can mow and maintain those fields while still successfully letting the rest grow for early pollinators.

Back