News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I fell most voters now would disagree that the municipal government is the only level of government that works, but I don't think having political parties will make it any better. Probably just even more dysfunctional.

Danielle Smith simply doesn't like that some councilors and mayors in various municipalities in Alberta are not loyal footsoldiers in the conservative movement; it's as simple as that.

Well said. And then there's this.

Screenshot_20240822_194154_Gallery.jpg

when it comes to political parties, can someone help clarify for me how it works? Do people just say they’re a part of a party? Or would the entire council potentially become one party? I’m assuming the former, but just confirming?

If we get 1-2 whack job right wingers on, it’s not the end of the world. And if Cartmell becomes mayor, that’s a great option imo for a “right winger” (compared to the lunacy of some of the people that’ll try running like these PACE people). We also just need enough educated, experienced, and levelheaded people in the mix.

I don’t agree with people like Salvador, Knack, or Cartmell on everything, but I’m happy to have people like that on council. What I’m afraid of is a severe swing that gets crazy conspiracy people with 0 experience or competence into power.

Big difference between a fair critique of our EV bus issues and spending priorities for transit vs “stop all bike lanes and make transit cover its costs cause WEF and Trudeau and green conspiracies”.

when it comes to political parties, can someone help clarify for me how it works? Do people just say they’re a part of a party? Or would the entire council potentially become one party? I’m assuming the former, but just confirming?

If we get 1-2 whack job right wingers on, it’s not the end of the world. And if Cartmell becomes mayor, that’s a great option imo for a “right winger” (compared to the lunacy of some of the people that’ll try running like these PACE people). We also just need enough educated, experienced, and levelheaded people in the mix.

I don’t agree with people like Salvador, Knack, or Cartmell on everything, but I’m happy to have people like that on council. What I’m afraid of is a severe swing that gets crazy conspiracy people with 0 experience or competence into power.

Big difference between a fair critique of our EV bus issues and spending priorities for transit vs “stop all bike lanes and make transit cover its costs cause WEF and Trudeau and green conspiracies”.

My biggest problems with Cartmell are his anti-LRT expansion stance and his misguided belief that Windermere is the Centre of the Universe.

People still vote for the individal and some individuals will be affiliated with a party and that will be noted beside their name on the ballot. Somebody can't just say they are a part of a party - they would have to be officially endorsed by that party.**

You could have any number of different parties that run a slate of candidates in every ward plus mayor. But each ward elects their own councillor whether they are independent or from party a, b or c. Same for mayor, who may be independent or from a party. And mayor could be from a party and they are the only candidate from that party who wins.**

It could be a real mixed bag who wins each ward or it could be all of council made up of one party - or somewhere in between.**

** I think.

In the past many years ago we have had named groups (not sure if they were considered parties) who ran a slate of candidates under a common name. Some were elected, some not. I believe at for a while a majority of councilors did belong to one or two such groups.

I believe the municipal parties could call themselves whatever they want, so the names would not have to correspond to those of existing Federal or Alberta parties. I feel the municipal parties may avoid the latter names so the affiliation may be rather loose, but evident to voters who pay attention.

In the past many years ago we have had named groups (not sure if they were considered parties) who ran a slate of candidates under a common name. Some were elected, some not. I believe at for a while a majority of councilors did belong to one or two such groups.

I believe the municipal parties could call themselves whatever they want, so the names would not have to correspond to those of existing Federal or Alberta parties. I feel the municipal parties may avoid the latter names so the affiliation may be rather loose, but evident to voters who pay attention.
Vancouver has municipal parties (so does the other large city, Surrey). The party in power right now is called ABC. There have been several left-right swings over the years and parties have come and gone with alarming speed. Usually the creation of a party has involved rallying around a mayoral candidate. But the mayor is not necessarily from the majority party.

A direct comparison with what's planned for Alberts is difficult, however, because Vancouver does not have any wards.

My biggest problems with Cartmell are his anti-LRT expansion stance and his misguided belief that Windermere is the Centre of the Universe.
Agreed. Thankfully he’s just 1 vote and we got all the major stuff done except NW, which is the most logical to convert to BRT of our lines imo due to a lack of major nodes along it. If west valley was still in question, I’d fight him hard.

Another slap in the face by the UCP

"The memo said 88 per cent of traffic fatalities last year were on Edmonton roadways that will no longer be allowed to have photo radar, and that 57 per cent of those were a result of speed."

Definitely not a data driven move, completely populist. Not to mention they're taking away another source of revenue while forcing the City to pay more for police enforcement. This continued downloading of costs is getting out of control.

"The memo said 88 per cent of traffic fatalities last year were on Edmonton roadways that will no longer be allowed to have photo radar, and that 57 per cent of those were a result of speed."

Definitely not a data driven move, completely populist. Not to mention they're taking away another source of revenue while forcing the City to pay more for police enforcement. This continued downloading of costs is getting out of control.
This isn't just downloading of costs. It's removing existing revenue streams.

Fast forward a few years, and the cries of "Law enforcement is broken!" will be deafening, and in ride the Alberta Sherriffs to save the day.

Back