News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I'm assuming the members still have to vote on the tentative agreement.

Library workers are separate negotiations which continue.

I don't think what you're putting forward is quite apples to apples...

A councilor's salary and the mayor's salary "are what they are". There is no moving from councilor step 1 to step 2 to step 3 to step 4 to step 5 to councilor step 6. likewise for the mayor.

The difference between a step 1 and a step 6 union salary can be 25% or more and those increments are available to individual union members even without an overall contract increases (i.e. they're available within a 0% contract increase). The only salaries that actually get frozen in a 0% increase would be those at step 6 on the scale.
Yeah, but the mayor who makes more than the Premier and most other big city mayors, and council seem to be at level 7, or maybe level 10!

I'm not against ever compensating officials well, but I don't think the current results justify such a level of pay.

Also, it is very hard to set an example or lead when you both make much more than most employees and are getting a bigger increase that what is being offered to them.

This would have been a good time for more restraint, but the politicians who currently lead our city are remarkably tone deaf and somehow insulated from reality.

Yeah, but the mayor who makes more than the Premier and most other big city mayors, and council seem to be at level 7, or maybe level 10!

I'm not against ever compensating officials well, but I don't think the current results justify such a level of pay.

Also, it is very hard to set an example or lead when you both make much more than most employees and are getting a bigger increase that what is being offered to them.

This would have been a good time for more restraint, but the politicians who currently lead our city are remarkably tone deaf and somehow insulated from reality.
I don't know if the process is airtight in terms of being influenced by people on council, but the current system of third-party salary review is the correct one.
https://www.edmonton.ca/sites/defau...al_Report_2020_Attachment_1.pdf?cb=1710455580

Glad Sohi is still pushing this issue. The city can't let this drop.

Screenshot_20240316-232143_Drive.jpg

Whether or not she's attending that particular UCP fundraiser in her "capacity" as a city councilor seems a bit debatable, but I'm more disappointed that she would do this in the first place, even in an "unofficial" or "personal" capacity.

Back