I'm in the south tower and moving in the next few weeks. I'll report back, but what I"ve seen so far - lots of renters, multiple rental units listed on Craigslist and Kajiji. Seen Realtors with multiple viewings on rental units. The hallways are tight and so you can hear noise from units near by when waiting for elevators. Elavators take a long time to arrive (may get better as construction completes). Only 3 elevators and they are cramped. Had my inspection and came up with a long list of minor details - lots of scratches, smudges, shoddy tiling, even missed installing my medicine cabinet. I've upgraded my place as well...so a bit disappointed with the workmanship.
Plus side - great window wall and upgrades made a huge difference to the look and feel of my unit compared to standard finishes in the many rental units of the same layout as mine.
Well, I always thought that was strange. 3 elevators for 44 floors. My current residence has 5 elevators and 26 floors and I have to wait up to 5 minutes in the morning. With that said, there are probably 14 or so units per floor and the elevators are slow.

I also noticed many rentals. They're not cheap though. How can a student afford $1500/month? I could just barely cover books when I was a student.

Glad to see that there are a couple of owners around.....we're in the minority :D

HiRiser said:
I'm in the south tower and moving in the next few weeks. I'll report back, but what I"ve seen so far - lots of renters, multiple rental units listed on Craigslist and Kajiji. Seen Realtors with multiple viewings on rental units. The hallways are tight and so you can hear noise from units near by when waiting for elevators. Elavators take a long time to arrive (may get better as construction completes). Only 3 elevators and they are cramped. Had my inspection and came up with a long list of minor details - lots of scratches, smudges, shoddy tiling, even missed installing my medicine cabinet. I've upgraded my place as well...so a bit disappointed with the workmanship.
Plus side - great window wall and upgrades made a huge difference to the look and feel of my unit compared to standard finishes in the many rental units of the same layout as mine.

Well, I always thought that was strange. 3 elevators for 44 floors. My current residence has 5 elevators and 26 floors and I have to wait up to 5 minutes in the morning. With that said, there are probably 14 or so units per floor and the elevators are slow.

I also noticed many rentals. They're not cheap though. How can a student afford $1500/month? I could just barely cover books when I was a student.

Glad to see that there are a couple of owners around.....we're in the minority :D

sorry to hear about the situation there ...
student renters are expected since the location is near 2 universities.
maybe the owners will try and find tenants from the hospital instead.

i hope the student renters don't do alot of damage as that will increase maintenance fees and cause more wear/tear.

new buildings are using 'high-speed' elevators but i don't know how much faster they are.

rent is covered by mommy + daddy, or 2+ students per 1 bedroom unit.

You can't be serious. :(

What floor do you live on?
Not sure if my original reply went through, apologies if this is posted twice.

I'm on one of the lower floors. The coughing/sneezing sounds are muted mind you, so nothing like in a Victorian house. I only hear them when everything else is quiet. Still, I was very surprised given this is a new building! I suspect soundproofing is a fairly common problem in new condos.

On the other hand, much of the noise comes from neighbours on one side of me and I don't really hear neighbours to the other side. So I guess a lot depends on your layout and what/whom your bedroom is next to. Mine is next to the living room of party animal students grgr..

Rents are not cheap here at all however, a few realtors have told me there were many med students looking in Murano and ROCP for it's location. Apparently they've got the moolah.

I've found most (but not all), of the students are on the lower floors. I'm guessing investors are more likely to want the cheapest product possible, since it does not appear to have a material difference in the amount of rent they can charge for a lower floor versus a higher floor - not enough to justify the higher cost for the condo for these investors.

If you live in Murano, I hope you live on the higher floors.

Rents are not cheap here at all however, a few realtors have told me there were many med students looking in Murano and ROCP for it's location. Apparently they've got the moolah.

Agree - That part of bay street is very popular with med students and residents due to its proximity to the hospitals on university and also st. mike's. some carry a lot of student loans, but rent can be justified relative to loans, tuition, expected future income, and convenience/lifestyle reasons especially for early morning rounds and when on call.

Landlords love to hear medical student/resident/healthcare professional. A couple years ago my roommate and I were able to jump the queue and negotiate a good discount because of this. A friend of a friend pays $1000 for a bachelor at RoCP (which I think is pretty good) and rent hasn't increased in 3 years...all because he is a resident and has an "understanding" with the landlord.

In general though, do some buildings in this area skew towards an older/quieter renter population?

Last edited:
I've found most (but not all), of the students are on the lower floors. I'm guessing investors are more likely to want the cheapest product possible, since it does not appear to have a material difference in the amount of rent they can charge for a lower floor versus a higher floor - not enough to justify the higher cost for the condo for these investors.

If you live in Murano, I hope you live on the higher floors.

Hope you're right, I'm on the 23rd floor. ;)

Got a letter from Bell regarding a deal for Murano residents, anyone subscribe and how's the service? I'm thinking more of getting Rogers but torn between providers.

Hi All,

Welcome to CondoMania. Done new 3 times since '98 here in T.O. and it's always the same issues.
Blame condo law, and the building code and the lack of skilled labour and the lack of buiding inspectors...and blame the industry whose primary marketing tactic is 'sell the bells and whistles, avoid the thorny issues'...and finally blame yourself for buying as though this were fast rising stock we're gonna make a killing on rather than the habitat necessary to nurture and empower your being.

P.S...if everyone in your building seals that gap under the front door, the buidling will indeed suffer serious issues with stale air from the lack of positive air pressure. In time all sane people will understand that since they can hear you in the hall...you can also hear them...and then some level of courtesy out of self preservation will begin (same process for those above you wearing jackboots)

Cheers All...and Remember...You are your neighbour.

Michael Max

PDI scheduling

Hello,

I purchased a unit in the South Tower, and my tentative occupancy date is scheduled for Jan 2010. I wanted to know how far in advance the PDI is scheduled - two weeks, three weeks before the occupancy date? I'm in the middle of arranging travel plans for Decemeber for Christmas, but also want to be present for the PDI. For those who have already had their PDIs scheduled, I'd appreciate it if you could give me a general time frame as to when I can expect to have my PDI given my occupancy date.

Thank you!

Hello,

I purchased a unit in the South Tower, and my tentative occupancy date is scheduled for Jan 2010. I wanted to know how far in advance the PDI is scheduled - two weeks, three weeks before the occupancy date? I'm in the middle of arranging travel plans for Decemeber for Christmas, but also want to be present for the PDI. For those who have already had their PDIs scheduled, I'd appreciate it if you could give me a general time frame as to when I can expect to have my PDI given my occupancy date.

Thank you!
About a week and a half for mine.

Hello,

I'd appreciate it if you could give me a general time frame as to when I can expect to have my PDI given my occupancy date.

6 weeks from PDI to occupancy for me (I'll move in end of this month). Given that JayBee had only a week and a half, I don't see a pattern that would be of any use in estimating your PDI date.

I recall the letter stating 2-3 weeks in advance of your occupancy date. Mine was 4 weeks prior, will be moving in first week of Nov my PDI was the first week of Oct.
MyMurano, you should call Carla and set a time that is convenient for you. She may not be doing PDI's for the much higher units, she's still getting through the mid level floors. But call her.

Murano (Lanterra) - Real Estate -

Hi All,

Your advice would be greatly appreciated. I have the opportunity to buy a 2bed, 2bath unit @ Murano privately. Here are the details:

Aprrox 750 sq ft. Pezzati Model

20th floor, north facing.
2 bed
2 full bathroom
Stainless steel appliances
Granite counter in kitchen
Laminate in living/dining
Carpet in bedroom
Balcony
Parking + Locker

Here is a link to the same model unit.

http://urbanrealtytoronto.com/wordpress/2009/03/22/for-rent-murano-condos/

My question is...how much is this unit worth? Tough to gauge as the building is yet to be registered. I'm guessing something in the 410k range.
What do you all think?

Last edited:
I would guess something like $490-$500 per sq/ft... so $410k is about right.

Is that one of the 8ft or 9ft units?

Back