I agree with all of JayBee's statements, plus I'll like to add a couple more:

1. Security doesn't stop anybody from entering the building. This is a huge problem since the buzzer doesn't work yet, so they don't lock the front doors. You can stroll right in without being stopped.

2. The elevators are constantly being fixed or are broken. I almost got trapped in one when it malfunctioned. Luckily, the doors were aligned with a floor, so me and my elevator mate got the door open and stepped out. Thank god for the "jamming random buttons until something happened" trick!

I can hear the elevator "ding" and the baby next door. I also had garbage smells in the hallway, but luckily, they fixed that problem.

Here's what I was told:

- A lot of renters...it's like a frat house (parties, noise, etc)
- Noisy, you can hear your neighbours through the walls
- Grafiti in one of the elevators
- 2 floods
- Disappointing quality

Comments from Murano residents are encouraged.

Xenosblitz said:
I can hear the elevator "ding" and the baby next door. I also had garbage smells in the hallway, but luckily, they fixed that problem.

frat house renters doesn't surprise me considering the proximity to UofT, Ryerson, etc.

i thought the demising walls were made of concrete here?

quality concerns were visible in the many pics in the Projects and Construction thread.

Use of concrete in walls the separate units is not the issue ... as far as I'm ware every single building does this.

It's not enough ... not by a very very long shot. It all comes down to the type of insulation used.

I'd really like to find out a way to be able to tell (before moving in) how sound proof a building is ... you can talk to people yea but your not likely going to get any honest answers in a Condo (if it's full of renters maybe) but not from unit owners.

I agree with all of JayBee's statements, plus I'll like to add a couple more:

1. Security doesn't stop anybody from entering the building. This is a huge problem since the buzzer doesn't work yet, so they don't lock the front doors. You can stroll right in without being stopped.

2. The elevators are constantly being fixed or are broken. I almost got trapped in one when it malfunctioned. Luckily, the doors were aligned with a floor, so me and my elevator mate got the door open and stepped out. Thank god for the "jamming random buttons until something happened" trick!

Is your unit near the elevator? Place I currently live in is next to the elevator and I do here the "ding". I'm thinking the hallway walls aren't made of concrete and much of the sound comes through the door. I don't hear anything else though.

A baby crying? That would drive me nuts!

To buy to rent downtown is the place to be,but to buy to live its not, I personally bought in Etobicoke where majority of the units are owner occupied and it's not TTC friendly.I heard of horror stories also about some downtown condos units that are single bedrooms but there is 3-4 people living there,mostly party hardy students.I thought there are restrictions to the amount of people allowed to live in condo units?.Whats with condo security these days,its seems that a lot them dont give a hoot about "security".

Is your unit near the elevator? Place I currently live in is next to the elevator and I do here the "ding". I'm thinking the hallway walls aren't made of concrete and much of the sound comes through the door. I don't hear anything else though.

A baby crying? That would drive me nuts!

I live in an "06" series unit. So I don't face the elevator, but when I walk out of my unit, the elevator is about 2 metres in front of me, to the left.

But for Murano, everybody is pretty near the elevator. The floors are pretty tiny.

I live in an "06" series unit. So I don't face the elevator, but when I walk out of my unit, the elevator is about 2 metres in front of me, to the left.

But for Murano, everybody is pretty near the elevator. The floors are pretty tiny.

my condo is at the end of the hallway with the fire exit right next to my door.I realize its a longer walk to the elevators but its less noise.The problem with renters is of course they have no monetary reason to keep the place in mint condition,second I seen many times they sub lease it to friends who wants to crash for a month or two,third with more renters you will be expecting more wear and tear so higher maintenance fees.

I bought an "06" unit. Arghs! I guess I have a lot to look forward to :D. Here's hoping I live next to quiet people.

I bought an "06" unit. Arghs! I guess I have a lot to look forward to :D. Here's hoping I live next to quiet people.

if they're not, make alot of sex noises ...
that'll keep them intrigued and quiet if they're the nosy kind since they'll want to hear everything :D

What flood? What actually happened?
I believe a pipe burst on the 35th was the issue. It flooded the penthouse level and units were dameged all the way down to the 17th floor. I had damage to the baseboards in the foyer.. glad I selected granite there instead of hardwood! They have been replaced and painted.

Suggestion for Hallway noise

To greatly reduce noise from the hallway go to Canadian Tire/Home Depot, buy a roll of BLACK 1/8" and 1/4" Weatherstripping "Foam Tape" or "Open Cell Foam Tape" (about $3 per roll) and one door sweep (about $10). When you get home find the correct size that slightly overfills the gap between your door and the door frame. Try the 1/4" first and if that's too thick remove it and use the 1/8", or vice-versa. To install, remove the backing from the self adhesive side and carefully install it along the door frame - leave no gaps. In some cases you may find that closing the door may be a little tight for 3 or 4 weeks so you have to lean into the door from the inside or pull it closed tightly from the outside it to engage the door handle lock/deadbolt but it will wear down in time. If there's still a gap then you probably should have used the 1/4" tape as it won't prove effective. When this is complete, carefully measure the door sweep, cut it to size, make your markings on the door and install so that the sweep meets the floor. All you need is drill (or hammer & a nail to start the holes) and screwdriver to screw in the screws. If you'd rather not install a doorsweep onto the door, buy an extra roll of each foam tape so that you have enough to run along the bottom of the door (you only get enough to do the top and two sides on an average 7' high entrance door). If you have an 8' entrance door you need to buy two rolls of each for full coverage. Presto, no more noise from the hallway.

I was told once that doing this affects the pressurization of the suite however I've been doing this for decades in every place I've lived and never found a downside to it. It may also be against the rules in your condo docs. which is why I suggest buying black as it is not noticeable from the hallway.

Another more expensive option is to have custom made french doors installed at the end of your entrance hallway/foyier but this obviously won't work in every suite. When the doors are closed this creates a second barrier to greatly reduce or eliminate noise from the hallway.

How about a thick curtain installed near the door with a rod on the ceiling or close to it?

Fully agree with all the points above.

I can only speak for the North Tower. The place feels like it's made of cardboard - I can hear my neighbours cough and sneeze.

The building is basically a glorified student dorm and a party central - drunken yelling from balconies in the summer on a Friday night, thumping base through walls on a Monday night, people shouting in the hallways any night.

Good luck to the people who bought, I hope your neighbours are quiet (unlike mine). Maybe when the condo board is formed, things will get better.

Fully agree with all the points above.

I can only speak for the North Tower. The place feels like it's made of cardboard - I can hear my neighbours cough and sneeze.

The building is basically a glorified student dorm and a party central - drunken yelling from balconies in the summer on a Friday night, thumping base through walls on a Monday night, people shouting in the hallways any night.

Good luck to the people who bought, I hope your neighbours are quiet (unlike mine). Maybe when the condo board is formed, things will get better.

You can't be serious. :(

What floor do you live on?

I'm in the south tower and moving in the next few weeks. I'll report back, but what I"ve seen so far - lots of renters, multiple rental units listed on Craigslist and Kajiji. Seen Realtors with multiple viewings on rental units. The hallways are tight and so you can hear noise from units near by when waiting for elevators. Elavators take a long time to arrive (may get better as construction completes). Only 3 elevators and they are cramped. Had my inspection and came up with a long list of minor details - lots of scratches, smudges, shoddy tiling, even missed installing my medicine cabinet. I've upgraded my place as well...so a bit disappointed with the workmanship.
Plus side - great window wall and upgrades made a huge difference to the look and feel of my unit compared to standard finishes in the many rental units of the same layout as mine.

Back