News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

They've hired architects to do an interior designer's job. I bet Brian Gluckstein wouldn't have botched the signage.

Once you allow rogue benefactors to dictate the look of the TTC's stations - as they've done here, and will do at other stations that they deem in need of their ministrations - anything is possible.

I can't understand what this huge fuss is about.
The visibility is not really a huge deal. 1) Assuming no train is on the opposite track, the "Museum" will clearly be visible on the opposing wall; 2) All stations are announced...twice; 3) the new trains will indicate with electronic signs exactly where you are.

It's distinctiveness will also work in its favour. Locals who pay no attention to the announcements will know where they are from the look....visitors, on the other hand, will listen to the stupid announcements, read the map, and watch the stupid signs.

Sheesh.

Who ever said it was a HUGE fuss?

All that's being debated is whether things should be as easy to use as possible or if things being only fairly easy will suffice. When it comes to a transit system, you need to think of the needs of the deaf, the hard-of-seeing, and foreign visitors and this unfortunately seems to have been forgotten by the station designers.

You're not "at the museum", you're at Museum Station, which also serves the local neighbourhood. For a non-English speaking tourist heading to the Park Hyatt hotel or Victoria College, the word "museum" holds as much meaning as "Музей" holds to a non-Russian speaker.
luckily, i can understand both ;)

Once you allow rogue benefactors to dictate the look of the TTC's stations - as they've done here, and will do at other stations that they deem in need of their ministrations - anything is possible.

I've heard Pape will be the first non-terminii BD stop to deviate from the bathroom tile format very soon. Eventually artitects want to recreate it with a rocky outcrop appearence (think: mezzanine level at Wilson Stn).

This is a pity since many people don't realize the science behind the BD colour scheme. The sequence of yellow-green-white-orange-grey is deliberate as a means of telling time (i.e. the distance between one yellow stn and the next is roughly 5-7 mins). I'm all for modernity but they could at least spare some of the original look instead of in effect creating a rock wall in a sea of tiled, colour-coded stations.

Joe Clark has spoken out vehemently against that, and he's right. Once you change one station's tiles on the Bloor Danforth line that radically, then the pattern is broken and you might as well change other stations. Good bye heritage.

I've heard Pape will be the first non-terminii BD stop to deviate from the bathroom tile format very soon. Eventually artitects want to recreate it with a rocky outcrop appearence (think: mezzanine level at Wilson Stn).

Sounds like they want to recreate this:

stockolm_subway_001.jpg

(Stockholm Subway)

I checked out the ROM's original Chewy yesterday afternoon in the Canada: First Peoples gallery. He's a late-19th century house post, Oweekeno, from the Northwest Coast of BC.

Sounds like they want to recreate this:

stockolm_subway_001.jpg

(Stockholm Subway)

I would support breaking the consistency of the Bloor-Danfroth line if we were going to redo them like Stockholm Tunnelbana stations.

Back