News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Does anyone still use radio? I use Youtube but it sucks that you have to leave the video player on - makes it hard to jog with it in your pocket.

Does anyone still use radio? I use Youtube but it sucks that you have to leave the video player on - makes it hard to jog with it in your pocket.

I do. CIUT 89.5 is where it's at. Basically ad-free, unique programming.

I listen to Prophecy every Sunday (20:00 -22:00)and an assortment of other shows less frequently. Raw (20:00 - 22:00), Bang (17:00-18:00), Funky Fridays (6:00-9:00) all on Fridays....also the Friday noon show.
Thursday mornings to Movin In The Right Direction (6:00-9:00) and No Man's Land (18:00-20:00).
Also Higher Grounds on Thursdays (20:00-22:00).
Also Island Breeze on Fridays (22:00-0:00) and the House show after that. And whatever that reggae show at midnight on Saturdays is.
And Equalise and Distort Sundays after Prophecy

Prophecy going on 26 years on the radio!

I sometimes listen to Radio 1 and CIND 88.1 as well.

For a while, before Soundcloud came along me and my crew used YouTube for ready sets.

That reminds me....is DI.fm still going cause that was 24-7 choons of a good selection of electronic music subgenres.
For real, they had speedcore and booty house, for example.

EdIt: DI.fm is still alive. They had to put up a pay wall to comply with stupid US law a few years ago. I remember when they shut down. It was stupid.....the vast majority of electronic music producers throw their music out for free anyway.

Well, looks like I'm adding another pay service. If it's the same Digitally Imported it used to be then it's well worth it.

Not sure who they pay royalties to.....half the producers with music on there died of drug overdose years ago and another quarter are some obscure dude in an attic in a random European town.

Last edited:
Spotify, and I still buy records, but mostly used. New records are way too expensive. Even used records in Toronto at some stores are ridiculously expensive. One of the reasons I enjoy vinyl so much is there is no skip button. You actually have to listen to the whole album. Plus it's great to have the album art and liner notes to look at, you don't get that experience with streaming.

Spotify, and I still buy records, but mostly used. New records are way too expensive. Even used records in Toronto at some stores are ridiculously expensive. One of the reasons I enjoy vinyl so much is there is no skip button. You actually have to listen to the whole album. Plus it's great to have the album art and liner notes to look at, you don't get that experience with streaming.

What about the most important part: the superior sound quality.

For a while, before Soundcloud came along me and my crew used YouTube for ready sets.

That reminds me....is DI.fm still going cause that was 24-7 choons of a good selection of electronic music subgenres.
For real, they had speedcore and booty house, for example.

EdIt: DI.fm is still alive. They had to put up a pay wall to comply with stupid US law a few years ago. I remember when they shut down. It was stupid.....the vast majority of electronic music producers throw their music out for free anyway.

Well, looks like I'm adding another pay service. If it's the same Digitally Imported it used to be then it's well worth it.

Not sure who they pay royalties to.....half the producers with music on there died of drug overdose years ago and another quarter are some obscure dude in an attic in a random European town.

DI is still around - and they have excellence Space Music that gets little to no exposure elsewhere.

AoD

[...] Plus it's great to have the album art and liner notes to look at, you don't get that experience with streaming.

I think that partially (mostly?) explains the minor vinyl revival. There is a ritual to vinyl that was missing from digital downloads, and continues to be missing from streaming. And physical music (CDs, vinyl) allow people to have "record collections", in the same way people used to before the advent of digital music.

I find Spotify isn't loud enough.

Slightly lower quality then my mp3s which are all at least 192 kbps.

Does it count if I'm subscribed to a bunch of radio show podcasts? A couple of campus radio shows (from McMaster and Calgary) and the CBC. But it's exceptionally rare for me to have a radio just turned on in the background somewhere.

Me, I just take music from YouTube and convert them to MP3s (it's mostly video game music and remixes of video game music, along with royalty-free music often used for independent/low-budget video games; much of those are orchestral or 8-bit). With regards to non-video game music, I listen to other orchestral music, sometimes on CBC Music; it helps that classical music is primarily in the public domain.

If I like the composition so much, I am willing to pay to purchase the music in FLAC format.

I am just a sucker for orchestral music (used in video games or not).

Me, I just take music from YouTube and convert them to MP3s (it's mostly video game music and remixes of video game music, along with royalty-free music often used for independent/low-budget video games; much of those are orchestral or 8-bit). With regards to non-video game music, I listen to other orchestral music, sometimes on CBC Music; it helps that classical music is primarily in the public domain.

If I like the composition so much, I am willing to pay to purchase the music in FLAC format.

I am just a sucker for orchestral music (used in video games or not).

8-bit, nice.

I saw a guy once at Nathan Philips Sq doing a live PA using a GameBoy and a drum pad. Of course I bought his mixtape.
Do you have any artists you'd recommend?

Back