8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Root

Member Bio
Reaction score
Surely there must be more "beta lines" or "Bat caves" (failed designs, empty tunnels, etc, blocked from public access) than the current subway maps say there are.

I am aware of Lower Queen and Lower Bay. But I suspect St. Clair West, Eglinton West (yes, there's tunnels that go right to keele, they're buried, probably still accessible somehow), College, all over the downtown core.

I'm a skeptic when it comes to this stuff. This is surely something that has the potential to be exploited for all rail, transit fans and historians.

Ever wonder where those "Vents" commonly seen on the subway line's streets above, lead to, when they aren't on Yonge, Bloor/Danforth or any other street the subway passes underneath?

I don't think all of them link to building ventilation shafts. There are quite a bunch of small houses and two-story buildings on college st passing spadina, yet those vents exist. Quite a few of those along St. Clair Ave West (that too, doesn't have many large buildings, but mainly small properties grouped close together) so there must be an explanation for it all.

So what do you make of this? Could the subway lines be much bigger than originally planned?

Last edited:
"Eglinton West (yes, there's tunnels that go right to keele, they're buried, probably still accessible somehow)"

False. A short stretch of tunnel was constructed around Eglinton West Station (we're talking a few blocks here,* not* all the way to Keele) as part of the aborted Eglinton Subway, but that was quickly filled in when funding for it was cut. Your contention that there are other tunnels or whatnot under College, etc. are also all false, any quick scan of the Toronto Archives database will thoroughly disprove your contention.

And those "vents" you're referring to are most likely emergency access doors that are scattered throughout the system.

"Eglinton West (yes, there's tunnels that go right to keele, they're buried, probably still accessible somehow)"

False. A short stretch of tunnel was constructed around Eglinton West Station (we're talking a few blocks here,* not* all the way to Keele) as part of the aborted Eglinton Subway, but that was quickly filled in when funding for it was cut. Your contention that there are other tunnels or whatnot under College, etc. are also all false, any quick scan of the Toronto Archives database will thoroughly disprove your contention.

And those "vents" you're referring to are most likely emergency access doors that are scattered throughout the system.

But the subway doesn't seem to go east and west on college, or st. clair ave west. This is ultimately confusing.

I never got photos during the rebuilding of the St. Clair West streetcar ROV, while on a GM, (you know how tall those buses floors are), I saw tunnels below the tracks, about 6-12 ft deep. to be exact. That was quite a long stretch. That was between keele and east of Lansdowne. I didn't get any photos due to the lack of a camera (in for repair, shitty cellphone pics of 204x174 (when zoomed in max) aren't good enough either, didn't take any).

If I had the camera with me at the time, there would've been photos attached.

Yesterday, heading southbound from Sheppard-Yonge on the Yonge line I witnessed a tunnel fully lit that I never saw, the weird thing is that it was heading downhill, under the station... so I doubt it's for accessing the Sheppard line, anyone know what it is for?

I should do some recon and bring back some video/still footage. I did manage to film straight from downsview to finch last month. So maybe a finch to downsview shall be a wise decision. Problem, TTC staff might complain big time if I was to get caught again.

A year prior, I did Kipling to Kennedy, one shot.

If possible, try and get a photo of it. If somebody has a night shot compatible camera or camcorder, please use it. The subway needs to be exploited like I stated earlier. There is much more than meets the public eye.

Last edited:
Yesterday, heading southbound from Sheppard-Yonge on the Yonge line I witnessed a tunnel fully lit that I never saw, the weird thing is that it was heading downhill, under the station... so I doubt it's for accessing the Sheppard line, anyone know what it is for?

Oh, almost forgot, there's some tunnels to nowhere south and north of St. Clair West station, give or take 500. You'll have to look very hard. I didn't have an easy task finding them as both are not lighted.

I will bring back recon photos of St. Clair West station, noting the caverns to the north and south entranses when I have time, including the gaping hole (above?) the tracks with lighting, matching the exact width of the tracks right to the top. Puzzles me, there probably WAS an extra planned level, or it was scrapped earlier before completion. I don't know how many photos I can take without getting caught, but i'll do as much as possible. History must be preserved.

Last edited:
What do you mean before getting caught? Are you telling me that you actually go into the tunnel and take pictures. PLease STOP STOP doing that, you are putting your self at risk. YOu have no idea what kind of dangerous exposed wires are laying around. The stupid tunnels you people are talking about are just pocket tracks which are used as turn back tracks. Nothing mysterious about them....Im going to tell you now that there are a lot of undercover Special Constables and Police on the system and if you are caught you will be charged.

Oh, almost forgot, there's some tunnels to nowhere south and north of St. Clair West station, give or take 500. You'll have to look very hard. I didn't have an easy task finding them as both are not lighted.

I will bring back recon photos of St. Clair West station, noting the caverns to the north and south entranses when I have time, including the gaping hole (above?) the tracks with lighting, matching the exact width of the tracks right to the top. Puzzles me, there probably WAS an extra planned level, or it was scrapped earlier before completion. I don't know how many photos I can take without getting caught, but i'll do as much as possible. History must be preserved.

You're delusional in your conspiracy theory. In addition to filming through the tunnels, why don't you take a walk through the Cedarvale and Nordheimer ravines to the north and south of St Clair W station respectively. Note the several emergency exit access points.

Further, look back at all the infrastructure involved in tunneling the Sheppard subway. Try and imagine how similar tunneling could have been done without anyone knowing under Eglinton, St Clair or College (and that includes all the contractors involved, the businesses and residents who would pass by the tunnels daily, the city and TTC officials who would be having to sign the contracts and cheques for all that work).

Once you are done your subway reconnaissance, perhaps you could also visit the Nevada desert and take some pictures of the grounds they used to fake the moon landings.

What do you mean before getting caught? Are you telling me that you actually go into the tunnel and take pictures. PLease STOP STOP doing that, you are putting your self at risk. YOu have no idea what kind of dangerous exposed wires are laying around. The stupid tunnels you people are talking about are just pocket tracks which are used as turn back tracks. Nothing mysterious about them....Im going to tell you now that there are a lot of undercover Special Constables and Police on the system and if you are caught you will be charged.

I never have, never would go to track level or in any tunnels to get a video or photograph. Why would I even want to be that daring.

While the conspiracy stuff is a bit over the top, LOL.....

I will indulge a few answers here.

At St. Clair West and many other points you will see '3rd tunnels' that are or were used to store 'gap trains'.

These are the extra trains stored on-line typically during rush hour (w/driver aboard) and used to even out service if delays or bunching occur.

They may also be used to turn around an out-of-service train from time to time.

I can't remember how many there are, but you'll see one just west of Chester as well, and just north of Eglinton.

They don't 'go anywhere' they are on average just slightly longer than the length of 1 train.

Aside from that there are the yard connection tracks by Wilson, and between Donlands and Greenwood.

The transfer tracks between lines (Lower Bay, Yonge-Sheppard)

And

You will also find a small section of 'tunnel' at Vincent Yard; a mostly disused mini-subway yard just east of Dundas West, just west of Keele Station. It has room for a handful of trains in the open and a few more under the cover of tunnel. But again this immediately parallel to the existing subway corridor and not really of any special use.

Of course there are plenty of underground passages in the TTC and elsewhere that are not in use today (or not by the public), but they are not subway-tunnels.

This would included the underground connections between most or all of the University Avenue hospitals.

And on the TTC 's old pedestrian tunnel to the Woodbine Station Streetcar Loop (it, the tunnel is still there), just hidden by a doorway.

There's something vaguely similar at Keele. (these 2 stations were the original endpoints of the Bloor Line)

But no great mystery, sadly.

What explains the large caverns (domes like keele station's roof). At either entrance by trains at St. Clair West station?

It's the right height (as viewed from a delayed subway) for two levels like St. George, Lower Bay.

That is what sparks my curiousity. I don't remember seeing those before 1995 (the crash) when at 9 years old riding with my parents to yorkdale mall.

I never got photos during the rebuilding of the St. Clair West streetcar ROV, while on a GM, (you know how tall those buses floors are), I saw tunnels below the tracks, about 6-12 ft deep. to be exact. That was quite a long stretch. That was between keele and east of Lansdowne. I didn't get any photos due to the lack of a camera (in for repair, shitty cellphone pics of 204x174 (when zoomed in max) aren't good enough either, didn't take any).

If I had the camera with me at the time, there would've been photos attached.

Considering I have close to 5,000 photos and video's of St Clair before and during construction with some "you are not to be here", there are no such tunnels. What you most likely saw below the track was the foundation pad to support the 2 tracks that is 18" thick.

I have shot every foot of St Clair from end to end west of Yonge since 2005 to say this.

Pretty sure there was a mezzanine under those domes that supported all of the mechanical systems for the station. If I'm not mistaken the mechanical was lofted up to make room for crossover tracks at that station.

The lit tunnel you saw south of Yonge/Sheppard was probably the track that links the Yonge and Sheppard lines.

There's also pocket tracks at most (all?) of the terminal stations, and some (like Sheppard's) are quite long, but they don't really go anywhere.

The tunnels also have a lot of niches that have been carved out to make room for storage sheds and break rooms and such. When you're blasting by on the subway your eye is correct in identifying a break in the wall of the tunnel, but the break really only goes for a few feet.

And adding to the list of unseen areas in the stations, Warden previously had a second entrance on the west side of the station (mirroring the eastern entrance, at the kiss and ride), but it was closed at some point so that the station would only need the one fare collector. It's still there, behind a non-descript door, and was in very good condition the last time I saw it (it's only used today by the retail operators, because it has a dumbwaiter that lets them bring goods into the station). Warden also has a cavernous unfinished area above the bus bays, opposite the shops (on the same side and level as the washrooms). Easily enough space for 7 or 8 more shops, if they were to finish it. There's also a similar area in Victoria Park, on the ground level north side of the station.

Back