News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

No it doesn't.

http://www.wunderground.com/NORMS/DisplayIntlNORMS.asp?CityCode=10147&Units=both

For December, January and February the temperature ranged beteen -2'C and +4'C. Presumably the -2'C low was at night. If we had +4'C in Toronto in January I'd be on the patio.
Average high of 3 in January, compared to -1 for Toronto. Not that much of a difference. Besides, Moscow, with its active winter patios, is colder than both cities.

I agree with everyone else that our liquor laws are ridiculous.

Average high of 3 in January, compared to -1 for Toronto. Not that much of a difference. Besides, Moscow, with its active winter patios, is colder than both cities.
That's because the Russians arrived at the patio half drunk. All joking aside, Russia's having a huge problem with the booze, leading to a life expectancy for men of under 60 years, IIRC.

...great cafes and bars! This one is in Hamburg, Germany, and animates the street better than any Tim Horton's ever could.

I'm thinking Harbourfront, Dundas Square, Grange Park... perhaps in front of the Skydome. Thoughts?

IMG_0040.jpg

I loved these sort street cafes in Germany when I was there a few years ago. :D

As an aside, I find our alcohol rules surprisingly more archaic (or perhaps more enforced) in Toronto than other parts of the province. For instance, simply Dan and I stumbled upon some "Rib Fest" in downtown Peterborough a few years ago and the whole park had been licensed. People were walking around this large downtown park -- which wasn't even properly fenced -- with alcohol in hand. I can't imagine that ever happening in Toronto, although if it did many of BIA-festivals and some of the bigger stuff (ie. Pride) would be much more enjoyable. I've also never had an issue taking a beer into the washroom in other cities like Hamilton, but it was always an issue at Toronto clubs for years.

Is the laws themselves or how often they're enforced?

...great cafes and bars! This one is in Hamburg, Germany, and animates the street better than any Tim Horton's ever could.

I'm thinking Harbourfront, Dundas Square, Grange Park... perhaps in front of the Skydome. Thoughts?

IMG_0040.jpg

Roundhouse park I feel would be an excellent location, either existing independently or in conjunction with the the steam whistle brewery. That whole area is dead and mentained very poorly and this sort of project could catalyse the potential that an area between two major sporting stadiums as well the thousand of people living in adjacent condos has. It could in deed be an excellent meeting place and an extremely lively venue. Of course this being Toronto all we get is a cheap tacky furniture shop (Leons) and a few rusty old trains. Typical Toronto!

Now imagine that Toronto decides that it will make 10 of these pavillions and requires 10 architects. As the body in charge of deciding who these lucky firms will be, you are asked to draw up a tentitive list.

In no particular order...

1. MVRDV
2. Renzo Piano
3. Tadao Ando
4. SANAA
5. aA
6. KPMB
7. Alsop
8. Teeple
9. Gehry
10. Herzog and DeMuron

Anyone else?

Last edited:
Actually Tim Horton's could still be located in one of those and be fine, they just won't. It doesn't have to be a fancy cafe to still look good.

Projectend, that would be great but I think that architecture and design, while enhancing the experience is largely secondary. It is the activity and formalization of the space that generates the return. I would also suggest that the public realm not operate such facilities but rent them out to a private manager. But for the love of god no 99 year leases and incompetent contractual arrangements!

I just finished reading Danny Meyer's book on the power of hospitality. He is the owner of many NYC restaurant institutions, including Gramercy Tavern, Union Square Cafe and Shake Shack. The way his company, in conjunction with the local BIAs and the city government, has transformed both Union Square Park and Madison Square Park from dilapitated drug dens to beautiful, energetic parks speaks to the power and potential of cafes in Toronto. To my mind, Grange Park is the most obvious candidate with the most potential.

I just finished reading Danny Meyer's book on the power of hospitality. He is the owner of many NYC restaurant institutions, including Gramercy Tavern, Union Square Cafe and Shake Shack. The way his company, in conjunction with the local BIAs and the city government, has transformed both Union Square Park and Madison Square Park from dilapitated drug dens to beautiful, energetic parks speaks to the power and potential of cafes in Toronto. To my mind, Grange Park is the most obvious candidate with the most potential.

or moss park!

Back