News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It is the westerners who seem to enjoy holding moral high grounds and condemns who do, right?
Oh good grief, the only person here who seems to be going on and on and on and on and on about moral high grounds is you. The "my culture is so much better than your culture" flavours of these posts is vile.

Why haven't the mods moved this stuff to a separate thread to discuss the superiority of China - or better yet deleted it entirely, I don't know. This discussion has nothing to do with the St. Lawrence market - and I really don't know the point of it, other than demonstrating how culturally biased some people here are.

Last edited:
You may eat all the puppies you want, in Asia. Dog eating is not acceptable here (whether legal or not) and to make it so is taking cultural relativism to a place most Canadians would not be comfortable with.

And the St. Lawrence Market is a pretty nifty gem for this city and yeah meat is murder. Albeit, delicious murder.

Last edited:
Kinda gets tiring all the people making personal attacks on kkgg7.

I would never eat a dog, I don't think, but I see no reason they shouldn't be able to do so, whether in China or here, and I find it rather small-minded to criticize it.

Equating eating dogs with honour killings is simply ludicrous.

I agree with those who've said there's no such thing as the "world's best" market. SLM may be good for what it is, but I do think that the lack of live animals is a negative. How can the world's best market have no fresh meat?

A Klingon would never buy meat at SLM.

Kinda gets tiring all the people making personal attacks on kkgg7.

CC -- I have tried to lay off, but the incessant derailing of threads to pontificate how crappy Toronto is, and how much better Asia is, about everything, gets under my skin. Maybe it's on purpose, as kkgg7 has derailed more threads than any ten other people. It's not like we voted SLM as #1 in the world -- we're just enjoying it!

I agree with those who've said there's no such thing as the "world's best" market. SLM may be good for what it is, but I do think that the lack of live animals is a negative. How can the world's best market have no fresh meat?

Although I don't believe that SLM is the best market in the world, we need to remember that "best market" does not mean "perfect market".

It's OK for it not to have certain things when it likely has other things that other markets do not. OK, not fresh meat? But I'm sure those markets with fresh meat are lacking in another department.

If you demand that a market sell everything in one place to be worthwhile, go to Wal-Mart.

Time to end this nonsense - enjoy some tiny recognition for the city, and leave kkgg7 to his devious devices.

I'm hungry. What's for dinner?

I just went to the local dog market & bought:

15.jpg

To turn into:

bosintang.jpg

What wine should I pair with it?

I'm leaning towards http://lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/produ...OINT+CHARDONNAY+2008&ITEM_NUMBER=&language=EN

Last edited:
No, they are not. What I was talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic_chives
I doubt many Canadians have ever eaten it. The variety of vegetables typical mainstream grocery stores such as Sobey's, Loblaw's, Metro etc carry are surprisingly limited, lettuce, carrots, pepper, potato, tomato, broccoli, spinach etc., which is why I always have to shop at Asian stores for more variety (usually three times more).

It is correct that leeks are not the same as "spring onions", aka green onion, scallion, etc. They sort of look like big fat green onions, but taste quite different. They are easily found at St. Lawrence Market or any supermarket.

Garlic chives are, well, garlic chives, and I've never known them to be called leeks but are perhaps substituted for same just as garlic chives can be substituted for green onion. My Chinese side of the family knows a leek from a garlic chive, but perhaps they are more westernized.

It is correct that leeks are not the same as "spring onions", aka green onion, scallion, etc. They sort of look like big fat green onions, but taste quite different. They are easily found at St. Lawrence Market or any supermarket.

Garlic chives are, well, garlic chives, and I've never known them to be called leeks but are perhaps substituted for same just as garlic chives can be substituted for green onion. My Chinese side of the family knows a leek from a garlic chive, but perhaps they are more westernized.

Given the time of year we're in, another onion/garlic family fresh taste should be hitting the market: garlic scapes. Good eating!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...at-the-heck-is-a-garlic-scape/article2069686/

Grimace:

Indeed they aren't - however, in Chinese the generic term for "leeks" (葱) is applicable to both spring onions and proper leeks (differentiated by the use of the adjective "big") - and that same term definitely does NOT refer to garlic chives (韭菜), Google Translate notwithstanding.

And speaking of the case of the missing vegetable - I am fairly certain I can find just as many types of vegs and foodstuff that doesn't show up in an Asian market/supermarket - and therefore, they "sucked"? What kind of logic is this?

AoD

Last edited:
And speaking of the case of the missing vegetable - I am fairly certain I can find just as many types of vegs and foodstuff that doesn't show up in an Asian market/supermarket - and therefore, they "sucked"? What kind of logic is this?
LOL. Not just fruit/veg. I frequently change streetcars at Gerrard/Broadview. Have you ever tried to find something as simple and common as milk in Chinatown? (BTW, if you know who has it, please tell me!).

You might find it, though I wouldn't necessarily recommend buying - much less consuming it. You can't say stuff like this, but I can :p

AoD

LOL. Not just fruit/veg. I frequently change streetcars at Gerrard/Broadview. Have you ever tried to find something as simple and common as milk in Chinatown? (BTW, if you know who has it, please tell me!).

1. The corner store at Logan & Gerrard.
2. The big underground big grocery/hard goods store halfway down the first block of Gerrard (although it might only be UHT cartons.)

Back