News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

TD Centre is probably the worst possible comparison, because it was the result of mindless modernization that destroyed much of downtown.

The fact that the TD towers are great buildings says nothing about the urban planning that went into that project.

Is that not an issue with every highrise that is not a student resident?

Not to nearly the same extent. Druken students have a habit of frequently pulling fire alarms. It's not unusual to have a residence see 2-3 fire alarms a month, most of them from someone pulling the alarm.

After being an RA at Ryerson for 2 years, I can personally attest to that, haha. Going down 14 flights of stairs is tough enough, 30 or 40 would be harsh. Also, unlike apartments, residences have a mandatory evacuation procedure. If you're caught in your room during a fire alarm, you're fined. Most apartment buildings do not have this policy.

I'm all for increased density west along College and north along Spadina but this just seems way too gimmicky. Is there any other student residence in the world@ 40 storey's? Seems to me that the plan is more about economics (minimizing land costs) and less about serving students in a useful way. I agree that the safety aspect is also unnerving. I think it makes more sense to build 3 or 4 midrise buildings to house this volume of students...

and to the suggestion that Spadina and College could be the next node for major condo expansion, I dont know... its a pretty seedy area currently, but geographically it does make sense.

I say build tall all the way on College street south from Spadina ave. to McCaul st., there is about a 1/2 to a dozen or so decent buildings anyways worth keeping. If Bloor street and King street can do it why cant College.:confused:

As a student myself, this will probably aim to be more of a luxurious complex...meaning high costs! It does look nice though...

Why does everyone worry about the height ? It is a bit too late to start worrying about the height of buildings in Toronto. I think they should smash down most of the surrounding buildings as well.

This is coming to Toronto and East York Community Council on 16 February. The Staff Report says:
The application in its current form is not supportable. Of considerable concern to staff is the appropriateness of the proposed scale, density, massing and transition towards the existing adjacent neighbourhoods. The further processing of the application and public consultation process are recommended in order to give the applicant the opportunity to work with City staff, the community and the Ward Councillor to address these issues, and others that may arise through further review of the application.
See: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2011/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-35233.pdf

Whether the building is built or not, all the renters of storage space & mailboxes were given notice on February 1st to vacate as of May 31st. Somewhat of a hassle... mine's been there since 1988. Ah well... it is an impressive looking plan.

This isn't for students... its for extremely wealthy parents from Hong Kong and Dubai to put their spoiled children. No actual students will be able to live here. The university has debt to pay down and international students have the money. Love everything about this building though. :D

Back