News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The Toronto police are moving forward w/a plan to consolidate 54 and 55 divisions.

The former is currently buried in the industrial north-east of O'Connor and Bermondsey; while the latter is currently at Coxwell and Dundas.

Two community meetings will be held to go over the preliminary site choices.

Meeting #1: 6:30-9:00 pm, Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017 @ East York Civic Center

Meeting #2: 6:45-9:15 pm, Tuesday, October 17, 2017 @ SH Armstrong Community Center

The shortlisted sites are:

East York Civic Centre (Coxwell/Mortimer, not yet clear if that means existing building or new)
TTC Danforth Garage Site
Existing 55 division site

The issue with the Danforth site is that stretch needs some good ground floor animation, and some good mixed-use redevelopment. While 51 Division is a lovely heritage adaptive reuse, it doesn't really animate the Parliament streetscape. I'm heartened to see them say that 54/55 Division could co-locate with other boards and agencies, along with "opportunities for new cultural and community space" - sounds like a potentially active hub. I worry, however, that budgets will end up dictating a less ambitious model, and we'll have squad cars parked along the Danforth frontage.

nd we'll have squad cars parked along the Danforth frontage.

More likely behind a massive wall turning its back to the community entirely. Have to protect those police cars along with the cars owned by the police officers.

If the recent renovations to 52 Divison provide any suggestion of things to come, I wouldn't get too excited.

I fear lots of blank walls and an unprogrammed concrete plaza too. But, on the other hand, I really like how 11 Division turned out.

The issue with the Danforth site is that stretch needs some good ground floor animation, and some good mixed-use redevelopment. While 51 Division is a lovely heritage adaptive reuse, it doesn't really animate the Parliament streetscape. I'm heartened to see them say that 54/55 Division could co-locate with other boards and agencies, along with "opportunities for new cultural and community space" - sounds like a potentially active hub. I worry, however, that budgets will end up dictating a less ambitious model, and we'll have squad cars parked along the Danforth frontage.

One stated advantage of Danforth is that large amounts of underground parking are already on site.

I'm not worried about cruisers fronting Danforth or a wall there.

How the site address its other frontages may be more of a concern, though the Coxwell side already has a giant wall.

Something I think would make sense here is incorporating the library site into the redevelopment.

It was hived off the site in the 1st place many years ago.

It's currently overcrowded and could really use more space.

Giving the library the heritage fronting Danforth and more space in behind or above could be the kind of street animation desired; paired with a small plaza and an attractive main entrance to the police facility.

Notable is the commitment that TTC will remain on site. (Bloor line operators are based out of this building)

One stated advantage of Danforth is that large amounts of underground parking are already on site.
Where the heck is the underground parking at this site?? I know the Tobias House residence on the NorthWest corner of the site has a garage entrance, but I assume that is only for the residence??

[...] I'm not worried about cruisers fronting Danforth or a wall there. [...]

Given that there is already parking along the Danforth frontage, that it would be extremely cost-effective to repurpose it to TPS parking, and how TPS has historically had no qualms about turning public space along thoroughfares into police parking, I envy you your confidence.

Back