News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

nfitz has really gotten to the core of the point here in a way that I hope the media will eventually get around to. She specifically said that they could take all the credit for fixing this problem. It's been months, and they've obviously failed. If they were going to take all the credit, shouldn't they be taking all the responsibility?

The main Liberal line of attack in the next election has got to be competence.

Well, that was what we were talking about less than 6 years ago...;)

I agree with those who feel the focus should be on economic mismanagement by the federal government rather than personal stupidity, as there's no shortage of the latter among all parties. If people don't think these kinds of callous comments aren't said behind closed (car) doors among like-minded politicians (or many other occupations) they're dreaming.

For that matter, the millions of wasted dollars as a result of the boss, board and consultants lining up at the eHealth trough is far worse and a much bigger slap in the face to the public. Now that one really deserves its own thread.

Last edited:
Although, the comments were callous, it seems to me a bit of a tempest in a teapot. Seriously, is it that bad that a minister would be ambitious about solving a problem and that she would want to get credit for doing so? There are other issues so much more worthy of discussion than wasting Parliament's time for a minister being too ambitious and having the misfortune to have her ambitions caught on tape.

Seriously, does anybody really think that there are no other politicians from any of the other parties who would not think that way?

To the forum's Conservative government apologists,

It's all about getting caught and the conservatives deserve to get smacked for many of their callous remarks because they shame Canada on the international stage.
Nice little smack today in Nova Scotia.

To the forum's Conservative government apologists,

It's all about getting caught and the conservatives deserve to get smacked for many of their callous remarks because they shame Canada on the international stage.
Nice little smack today in Nova Scotia.

So, since you push the point about getting caught, I take the above comment to indicate you are more distressed (gleeful?) that a callous remark was made than you are about having your tax dollars go public officials giving non-tendered contracts to friends, or to a consultant who bills herself for a self-consultation using the public purse etc. etc.

Just checking to see where the priorities are, as I wouldn't want anyone to get the impression you're a politically motivated...um, what's the word?

Ah yes--apologist.

If they don't get caught they don't get smacked. Confirmation of suspected callousness which is not what we want from government is what this new scandal is.
As far as the the Ontario matter these people needed to be fired but employment contracts always have to be scrutinized or else they sue. How did Raitt improve the Toronto port Authority?
By the end of the day Harper is standing by Raitt which makes me think that perhaps she knows too much about something. Political suicide is alive and well and very embarrassing for us all to witness such incompetence as they allow the siphoning of our tax dollars to flow towards big business that appears to be tanking.

Daniel Leblanc

Ottawa — From Wednesday's Globe and Mail, Tuesday, Jun. 09, 2009 10:10PM EDT

The RCMP is probing a potentially massive gold heist after the Royal Canadian Mint lost track of millions of dollars of precious metal at its high-security facility along the Ottawa River.

There have been two relatively small incidents of gold theft in recent years at the mint, but nothing that compares to the current mystery involving millions of dollars in closely guarded metal.

The opposition blasted the Harper government for waiting months to call in the police, saying that auditors identified problems four months ago.

“One would think that if there was one place where the government could hold onto our treasures, it's at the mint,†NDP MP Thomas Mulcair said, accusing the government of trying to minimize the situation.

“You don't call the Mounties when you have an accounting problem. You call the horsemen when there is a theft,†Mr. Mulcair said.

Liberal MP Joe Volpe said he was astounded to find out that government officials first had questions in March about the potential disappearance of precious metals, accusing them of mismanaging the matter.

“As soon as you find that there's a discrepancy, which they knew about, by their admission, several months ago, you do the right thing: call in the RCMP. You have to have plans to deal with it,†Mr. Volpe said.

But the minister in charge of the mint, Rob Merrifield, said he did not wait for the full results of an audit into the government's stock of precious metals. During Question Period, Mr. Merrifield said he will make the audit public when it is ready in coming weeks, adding the RCMP was called in because the results will reveal unexplained discrepancies between physical metal stocks and financial records.

“The mint has lost track of precious metal, and that is why we brought in an external audit,†Mr. Merrifield said in the House. “[Yesterday] morning I found out that the mint will not be able to reconcile all of the missing money with the audit. I have instructed the mint to bring in the RCMP to examine this matter in a fulsome way.â€

RCMP spokesman Greg Cox said the force will review the allegations and determine whether “there are sufficient grounds to investigate.â€

The mint is open to the public, but operates under a high level of security. Visitors do not approach gold stocks, and employees operate in the presence of metal detectors and cameras.

“We are ISO-9001:2000 certified, and are regularly audited to ensure the transparency of our business. Our vaults are therefore an exceptionally secure facility,†the mint said on its website.

In recent years, a machinist and a janitor were suspected of theft at the mint, but the amounts – in the tens of thousands of dollars – pale in comparison to the current situation.

Bandits have been luckier outside of the mint's walls. In 1966, thieves ran away with $400,000 worth of gold (worth $2.5-million in current dollars) that was in transit at Winnipeg International Airport.

In 1987, two armed robbers threatened to blow the kneecaps off mine employees in Northern Ontario as part of the theft of a $300,000 gold bar.

Last year, police investigated the theft of gold worth an estimated $250,000 from a mine in British Columbia. The miners thought the gold was safe because it was stuck in frozen earth, but thieves thawed out the thick layer of ice over it and ran away with the loot.

New day, new scandal.

I can understand the Opposition going after her for her handling of the file....as in the failure to fix the isotope production issues. And hell, the dismissal of her aide was also disturbing....actually far more disturbing. As was the mishandling of classified documents (though that happens a lot and seems to be an all-party habit). I would have supported the Opposition going after Raitt for all that. But I can't see how any of this effort to portray as some kind of narcissist preying on cancer patients is really going to stick.

At the end of the day, politicians of all stripes are equally ambitious. Only months ago we saw the Opposition parties make a raw grab for power using the economy as an excuse (when their real motivations laid elsewhere) after the Conservatives decide to try and off their political opponents during what they perceived to be a moment of vulnerability. Needless to say, this scandal pretty much confirms that all politicians are ambitious, opportunistic and want credit for their work. And I am starting to doubt my support for Iggy when he gets out in front of the cameras and starts doing the Helen Lovejoy routine claiming that this is all about the poor cancer patients. Call Raitt on her incompetence not on her ambitions.

I can understand the Opposition going after her for her handling of the file....as in the failure to fix the isotope production issues. And hell, the dismissal of her aide was also disturbing....actually far more disturbing. As was the mishandling of classified documents (though that happens a lot and seems to be an all-party habit). I would have supported the Opposition going after Raitt for all that. But I can't see how any of this effort to portray as some kind of narcissist preying on cancer patients is really going to stick.

At the end of the day, politicians of all stripes are equally ambitious. Only months ago we saw the Opposition parties make a raw grab for power using the economy as an excuse (when their real motivations laid elsewhere) after the Conservatives decide to try and off their political opponents during what they perceived to be a moment of vulnerability. Needless to say, this scandal pretty much confirms that all politicians are ambitious, opportunistic and want credit for their work. And I am starting to doubt my support for Iggy when he gets out in front of the cameras and starts doing the Helen Lovejoy routine claiming that this is all about the poor cancer patients. Call Raitt on her incompetence not on her ambitions.

What I find more disconcerting is that the government just slaps 'secret' on documents that are merely embarrassing rather than of genuine national security concerns. I can only imagine that this is an attempt to circumscribe access to information requests. Perhaps it's time we passed legislation enforcing the intended use of classified documents. As it is, it's just another part of the pattern of obfuscation and deception by this government.

^ Actually, all Cabinet documents are usually marked Secret - CEO (Canadian Eyes Only). That's been the practice as far back as governments have been marking documents. There's nothing unusual or political in the practice.

I can only imagine that this is an attempt to circumscribe access to information requests. Perhaps it's time we passed legislation enforcing the intended use of classified documents. As it is, it's just another part of the pattern of obfuscation and deception by this government.

Actually, you can get access to classified documents through ATIP. They might be heavily redacted but you can get access to them. Usually, when briefing Ministers on really sensitive stuff, their aides will simply refuse most documents simply because it's so easy to ATIP a Minister's office.

If the government did strictly enforce the legislation on the books (and its actually pretty good) then we might well end up seeing far more stuff (particularly at the political level) get classified. There's a trend these days towards classifying documents as lowly as possible. If the boat gets rocked we're far more likely to go toward reduced disclosure if anything.

i wonder how sexy it would be if she needed isotopes?

Well, then she should change her name to Tabitha Vixx
313178.jpg

Back