News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Re: New Freedomo Tower design unveiled

The buildings clash terribly. It all reminds me of Pudong. What a dismal outcome for the design competition that inspired the public's imagination. The only distinctive building in the whole complex is Calatrava's transportation hub.

That's not to say that these aren't individually competent office buildings that would be a dream for a city like Toronto, but they certainly don't fit the significance of the site. The Libeskind plan, despite its flaws, certainly provided a cohesive and attractive design for the site.

Couldn't agree more. One simple building rising over all the others would have been far more powerful.

Except they've got a Foster and Rogers to bitch about.

Sure, but context is important. Individually the buildings are nice but overall the plan is a mess.

I think people view it as a mess because they envision it as a complex. If you don't look at it that way, it looks fine... more organic this way.

It may not have been designed as a complex per se, but Libeskind's design had all the buildings referencing the WTC site in the same way, with a unity in design. That in itself is powerful, even if you didn't like the design of the individual buildings, and that's what's been lost. Buildings that "look fine" may be good enough for the Bay-Adelaide Centre but the WTC site demands more.

A green park with a humble monument/sculpture designed by a New York Artist would have been a more impacting statement. This is a mess- looks like Shanghai.

I'm disapointed with the Foster design.

they are ver tall but i like the shortest one the best(tower 4)

Rather than site-specific buildings for a historic district, we get a group of nice "anywhere" buildings instead.

Rather than site-specific buildings for a historic district, we get a group of nice "anywhere" buildings instead.

Exactly. This collection of buildings could go anywhere...doesn't really say anything about the site, history of the place, etc.

That's not to say they aren't nice towers...but a collection of nice towers just isn't enough for this site.

Back