News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Yup. Both cities have been neglected by their respective Province. Gatineau doesn't get the proper funding because Quebec figures Ottawa can take care of them, and Ontario only gives Ottawa enough money to barely take care of their own, let alone the 300k+ from Gatineau and surrounding area who depend on Ottawa's services. Over the last 20 years, Ottawa health care professionals have been dropping Quebec patients, but the Province of Quebec hasn't responded.
After being in Quebec City, it is just night and day the care and attention + resources they pour here vs Gatineau. It's not just shocking, but frankly insulting.

After being in Quebec City, it is just night and day the care and attention + resources they pour here vs Gatineau. It's not just shocking, but frankly insulting.
Are you referring to emergency care? I am a permanent outpatient of the Gatineau hospital for the remainder of my life, and I have to give it to them: When you have a serious chronic health problem, Gatineau health care is everything you could ever want and more. I couldn't imagine better care. Everything has been virtually instant and top notch since I entered the system in 2018. Both my oncologist and my GP have told me I'm lucky to be on this side of the river on many occasions.

Are you referring to emergency care? I am a permanent outpatient of the Gatineau hospital for the remainder of my life, and I have to give it to them: When you have a serious chronic health problem, Gatineau health care is everything you could ever want and more. I couldn't imagine better care. Everything has been virtually instant and top notch since I entered the system in 2018. Both my oncologist and my GP have told me I'm lucky to be on this side of the river on many occasions.
I mean not just in healthcare, but in general investments and attention from the provincial governments. Of course they'll make sure you get care for serious medical situations. But outside of that? How about transit? How about receiving proportional funding to population? It's just the reality that Gatineau and l'Outaouais get overlooked for more "Québécois areas. Why is the government ready to shoot itself in the foot for a third link in QC but drags itself for similar investments in Gatineau?

That's good to hear Harley. We rarely get these kinds of positive reviews about the health care system in the Outaouais. In the media, the horror stories we hear are mostly related to the ER department and acute care. People dying from very basic stuff because of lack of equipment. The Cancer wing at the Gatineau Hospital is relatively new, and I assume well staffed. I do hope the McGill Medical School will produce more doctors that may stay in the region over the next few years. (does seem the Quebec Libs actually did invest a bit to help the situation, though not nearly enough). With everything else, the Outaouais seems far behind.

Only Gatineau would decide the best spot for a super hospital would be in the middle of a poorly accessible forest.

I can't believe how large the existing campus is, I had never seen it aside from on Google Maps.

DJI_0551-HDR.jpg
DJI_0554-HDR.jpg
DJI_0557-HDR.jpg

Attachments

• DJI_0551-HDR.jpg
    DJI_0551-HDR.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DJI_0554-HDR.jpg
    DJI_0554-HDR.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DJI_0557-HDR.jpg
    DJI_0557-HDR.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 1
Very weird campus. So much for the Federal heritage designation; nothing of this will be left soon enough. Coincidently, the new Civic is also replacing a Federal "heritage" building in the John Carling, though it was demolished before the hospital site was chosen, not for the hospital.

I just hope this isn't going to look like the General, with a bunch of surface parking.

Back