8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

dob467

Member Bio
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the new blue bins? Anyone get one yet?

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/291913

Bigger bins no small problem
TheStar.com - GTA - Bigger bins no small problem

Recycling storage tough at compact homes

January 08, 2008
John Spears
City hall bureau

Small is not beautiful when it comes to Toronto's new wheeled recycling bins.

Residents of compact inner-city neighbourhoods – many of whom are now being asked to choose the size of recycling bin they want – are not currently being offered the option of a "small" bin.

Households west of Victoria Park Ave. and east of Yonge St. have been getting cards in the mail recently, asking what size recycling bin they want.

They're offered three choices. The smallest on offer is called Medium, roughly the size of two blue boxes. Householders can also pick Large bins, about the size of four blue boxes; or Extra-Large – equivalent to six blue boxes.

Scarborough residents have already made their choices and are receiving blue bins. But because Scarborough is largely suburban, with wide lots and driveways, most houses have plenty of space to store them and wheel them to the curb.

That's not always the case in central neighbourhoods, where some houses have no front yard and no driveway or side yard.

They'll have to store the bins on the back deck or basement, and haul them through the house to get to the curb.

Terry Maiden, of Monteith St., just got a card from the city asking him to choose a size. He grabbed a tape measure and discovered that only the medium bin will make it up and down the stairs to the basement, where he keeps his recycling.

All the houses on the street are built with the same dimensions, he said, so he and his neighbours are stuck with one option: "Nobody's going to have a choice."

"The only alternative is keeping it on the deck at the back of the house; but nobody's going to want to do that, because then you've got to lug it through the living and dining room."

Geoff Rathbone, general manager of solid waste for Toronto, said the city will eventually offer small recycling bins to those who need them. The trouble is, they won't be rolling off the production line before fall.

Very few households will find the small bins hold two weeks' worth of recycling, Rathbone said.

The new bins will be delivered in the area between Yonge and Victoria Park starting Feb. 2.

Households west of Yonge St. will get their recycling bins later in the year.

http://www.nationalpost.com/story.html?id=226761

Thursday, January 10, 2008

City wants residents to reuse, not recycle, old blue boxes
Kelly Grant, National Post
Published: Thursday, January 10, 2008

Arne Glassbourg/National Post
TORONTO - City Hall is hoping to avoid picking up homeowners' old blue boxes and trash cans as Toronto's new waste regime kicks in, instead urging residents to find new uses for their old bins.

"You can store firewood in them. You can put books in them. You can put your kids' toys in them," said Councillor Glenn De Baeremaeker, chairman of the city's public works committee.

The city has already started delivering large recycling carts to Scarborough as part of a new pay-as-you-throw garbage plan designed to keep more trash out of the dump.

The carts will be rolled out across the rest of the city between now and July.

As the bins arrive, Torontonians will need to figure out what to do with more than one million blue boxes weighing a collective 1,850 tonnes, or as much as 265 male African elephants.

Toronto's garbage boss, Geoff Rathbone, says residents who do not want to turn their blue boxes into laundry bins or tool boxes can drop them off at waste stations for recycling.

If residents clamour loudly enough for it, the city will pick up the bins at curbside on a designated day -- but if that happens, the cost of collecting the bins will likely outstrip the money Toronto could make selling the high-density polyethylene bins in the hot recycled plastics market.

"That's the silver lining here," Mr. Rathbone said. "We can get about $400 per tonne for it."

At that price, if Torontonians voluntarily turned in all one million bins at waste stations, the city could rake in as much as $750,000.

Still, that windfall is a small fraction of the $56-million the city is paying for 540,000 new recycling carts and 540,000 garbage carts.

"There's a lot of recyclers that would love that plastic," said Joe Hruska, municipal relations officer for the Canadian Plastics Industry Association.

"It 's valuable material because it's a homogenous source of plastic. It's all blue bins."

Toronto's blue bins could be recycled into a wide array of products, including plastic toys, car parts and plastic containers for anything except food, he added.

Mr. Rathbone and Mr. De Baeremaeker both said they expect most Torontonians to follow their advice and keep their old blue bins.

Getting rid of old trash cans is a bigger concern, they said.

Toronto's new trash regime includes new carts for both recyclables and garbage.

The garbage carts will be delivered over the summer and fall, in time for the program's official Nov. 1 launch.

Old garbage cans have fewer alternative uses than blue boxes -- Mr. Rathbone suggested using them to store yard waste, but the options essentially end there -- and cans are trickier to recycle because of such impediments as metal handles and stickers on the sides of the cans.

Plus, getting surplus cans to waste stations could be difficult for some, Mr. De Baeremaeker said.

"It's a pain in the rear end because you've got to go from your house, put it in your trunk or whatever and get up to the [waste] transfer station," he said.

"What if you don't have a car? You're going to take your garbage can on the bus? There's all these situations we can't forecast."

City council adopted the new approach to garbage service last summer.

Right now, Torontonians pay for trash collection through property taxes, never seeing a direct bill.

When the new system kicks in on Nov. 1, homeowners will be charged a fee on their utility bills, depending on the size of garbage bins they chose.

The smaller the bins, the cheaper the bill.

Copyright © 2007 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv....INTELBINS12/TPStory/TPEntertainment/Ontario/

NEW BLUE BINS

I'LL TAKE A VENTI
JOHN LORINC

January 12, 2008

Is the City of Toronto trying to supersize its new blue bins?

This week, thousands of east-end homeowners received brochures asking if they would like to choose a medium, large or extra-large recycling bin, each equipped with wheels and a flip-top lid, as part of the city's drive to reach a 70-per-cent waste-diversion rate. As with Starbucks and their coffee, the city isn't promoting a "small" version, although works officials have hinted that one may be available later in the year. The program will continue to roll out through the rest of the city over the coming year, and will also include the distribution of new containers for garbage bags, which will be available in four sizes and one colour: grey.

Works Department pamphlets say the volume of the medium-sized bin is equivalent to two conventional blue bins; the large, four bins; and the extra-large, six.

But the math looks a little, well, trashy.

Toronto's venerable blue bins hold about 2.3 cubic feet of waste, while the deeper versions have space for 3.4 cubic feet.

Based on the city's published measurements, however, the new medium bin has a volume of about 10 cubic feet - sufficient to hold the contents of four ordinary blue bins.

The extra-large, which could be described as the Hummer of waste receptacles, will hold enough recyclable material to fill about 10 blue bins - well above the six shown on the brochure. (The mitigating factor is that, unlike with conventional blue bins, it may be more difficult for space-conscious residents to climb into the new models to stamp down all the cereal boxes and milk cartons to pack in more stuff.)

Quite apart from the size issues, the replacement campaign has an ironic footnote. The city won't collect the old bins, citing expense. Instead, residents must devise alternative uses or drop them off at city collection facilities.

Those skanky old bins, it seems, can't be tossed into the nice new ones with all other recyclables.

My neighbour and I attended the open house tonight. We were both concerned about the size of the bins and how we would bring them down 18 steps to the sidewalk. Forget about the XL and L, they are far too big and back breaking. The medium size would not meet our needs, as a family of four, we would need at least 2 medium bins. The city reps there were not very helpful and directed us to call the Works phone number and arrange a visit. I would'nt mind so much if I can just wheel them down the driveway to the sidewalk. I don't have a driveway, but 18 steps up to the walkway between our houses. Honestly, the bins are ugly and many in the crowd tonight were not happy. When someone asked when our local councilor would arrive, the reply, "she won't be here this evening".
What a coward!
For the record, our local councilor is Comrade Fletcher, and she voted for this make work project.

billonlogan -- where do you currently place your garbage bin? wouldn't you just put the large recycling bin next to your garbage bin, and have a smaller collector bin in your house and bring recycling out with your garbage to place into the larger bins? I don't quite understand what you mean by 18 steps, so i'm just guessing here...

billonlogan -- where do you currently place your garbage bin? wouldn't you just put the large recycling bin next to your garbage bin, and have a smaller collector bin in your house and bring recycling out with your garbage to place into the larger bins? I don't quite understand what you mean by 18 steps, so i'm just guessing here...

I keep the garbage bins and recycling boxes in a racoon-proof garbage receptable I built at the side of the house in a lane (5 ft wide) I share with my neighbour. This way the garbage bins and recycling boxes are hidden away. I got fed up with the racoons ripping the lids open and leaving a mess behind and estheticaly it looks better. I'm sure some people here can relate to that. I put the garbage and recycling out to the sidewalk on the morning of pick-up. Instead of lugging the bins down the flight of steps (18 to be exact), I pull the green garbage bags out and carry them down the steps to the sidewalk. I do the same with recycling, I fill up clear plastic bags instead. The only exception is the green box which I carry down, because they won't take it otherwise. We just find this way alot easier and safer. When I'm away on business, both my wife and neighbour can handle taking the garbage out without too much diffuculty. I guess I can lug the new recycling bins down the steps empty and fill them when I bring the bags down to the sidewalk. But now I need to find a place to put them. We might just order 2 medium bins between my neighbour and I and hope there is enough room to accommodate our recycling needs. Regarding the 18 steps, anyone familiar with Logan Ave on the west side of Withrow Park, the houses are up on a hill. We love the house and the panaromic views of the park.

Okay, I understand what you mean now, and can see how it'd be a hassle with the large bins.
I wish we didn't even deal with bins.. Edmonton moved to the Blue Bag system several years ago and it's been a hit, since it can easily accomodate more recycling and it's a lot easier than a bin system... I know they sell the Blue Bags here at Canadian Tire... but I think the problem is that we don't have the facilities to recycle plastic bags in Toronto that we can't use bags and must stick to bins.

I feel your pain Billonlogan, I grew up on the otherside of the park on strathcona, so I know the stretch where you live, those are monster stairs, my wife and I always wonder how you do it when we stroll up to the park.

I have the opposite problem, the street I live on is all row-houses, so I have to carry these things through the house, it's a bit of a pain with the small ones but not too bad, I don't know what I'm going to do with these new ones. We put out two bins now and always have a cardboard box filled. so we have to get the medium one, which is way too big to cart through the living room, not to mention when it's covered in snow.

I wish we had the bag program here.

I just took out my father's garbage, and the small bin's more than enough for him despite a prodigious consumption of newsprint. I don't understand why people can't just keep their old bins or opt for something bigger if they want.

I just took out my father's garbage, and the small bin's more than enough for him despite a prodigious consumption of newsprint. I don't understand why people can't just keep their old bins or opt for something bigger if they want.

That makes the most sense. Have them available for people who request them. A lot of people don't need a bigger bin.

At the open house last night, the fella from Works said the new bins are the only ones that work with the new lift arms equipped on the trucks. There was an issue regarding worker's safety and health from lifting heavy bags. This way the 'collector' rolls the blue bin to the lift arms and voila. They plan to do the same with the new 'garbage only' bins, so forget about using your existing garbage bins.

Here are some suggestions for the old blue boxes.

There's no point in getting a tiny bin, since the city will soon be adding more and more items to the recyclable-items list, and since each home only gets one bin, the average two to four person home will need a medium size bin. For my semi in Cabbagetown we got the large (mid-sized) bin, since with two kids, we generate a lot of recyclable material.

As for what to do with the old boxes, well, I'll be taking my axe to them when it's cold outside and breaking them into small pieces, and then sending them to be recycled in the new bin.

I ordered a medium, the smallest sized bin, online last week.

I live alone and put out a blue box, and a second blue box ( well, actually an old grey box ) with newsprint, once a month at the most. My new bin will probably be used as often, and will be loaded at the curb: newspapers first, the rest on top.

I can't imagine many people washing their dirty, battered-up old blue boxes and using them in the house to store books or toys in. I think the City's is being a bit optimistic about that.

I can't imagine many people washing their dirty, battered-up old blue boxes and using them in the house to store books or toys in. I think the City's is being a bit optimistic about that.
Sounds like another downspout debacle in the works. I can see it now, some consultant or bureaucrat tells the city to expect a few hundred old blue boxes to show up in the new big blue bins, meanwhile four hundred thousand are received.

Perhaps they can be put to use as material to build another tent city for the homeless, though this time we can call it lego city.

Sounds like another downspout debacle in the works. I can see it now, some consultant or bureaucrat tells the city to expect a few hundred old blue boxes to show up in the new big blue bins, meanwhile four hundred thousand are received.
Which means the Leslie Street Spit is about to grow by a kilometre! :p

It looks like the city will give you a large bin unless you tell them that you want the medium or the extra large instead. I expect to see a lot of these blue bins in front lawns especially in the older parts of town where there's no where you can discretely store them and still hope to recycle effectively. When the city starts rolling out its garbage containers, things will really get ugly. . .

My blue box is coming apart so it is definitely one of the first things I'm putting in my new bin.

There's no point in getting a tiny bin, since the city will soon be adding more and more items to the recyclable-items list, and since each home only gets one bin, the average two to four person home will need a medium size bin. For my semi in Cabbagetown we got the large (mid-sized) bin, since with two kids, we generate a lot of recyclable material.

Okay, so what about one-person families? My father's alone and barely fills the existing box, especially with the new return policy at the LCBO.

I completely agree. Glenn de Baeremaeker is always a bit "optimistic". My blue box is pretty unpleasant. It's not the kind of thing I would ever use to store children's toys.

Back