News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Though if, as Chris84 suggests, it actually costs the city money to get rid of all the glass it collects from lazy homeowners who won't return their own recyclables for a refund, then the pickers are doing all taxpayers a service.
Yes, but they're not taking just the glass. The smart ones are taking the aluminum for salvage.

The legions of pickers are lined up in my local beer store first thing in the morning with supermarket trolleys full of wine bottles, as well as cans. They must be getting them from somewhere. I doubt if those little Chinese ladies can drink that much Sauvignon Blanc.

It'd be nice if there was somewhere else other than the Beer Store to bring empties back to. If recycling for refund was less of a chore, I suppose more people would do it. As for the scavengers, if they don't make a mess (and if they don't take your blue box), it would appear that they've found a way to make money and do the city a favour.

It'd be nice if there was somewhere else other than the Beer Store to bring empties back to. If recycling for refund was less of a chore, I suppose more people would do it. As for the scavengers, if they don't make a mess (and if they don't take your blue box), it would appear that they've found a way to make money and do the city a favour.
In Fredericton we had two redemption centres where you returned pop cans, bottles, juice boxes, and everything else they had deposits on. There were long long lines of cars, plus a few shaky ladies with their shopping carts. On the flipside they did not recycle any glass whatsoever, so if it wasn't returnable, you threw it in the trash.

If they removed the returns counter from the Beer Store one positive would be that the street people would likely change neighbourhoods, instead doing their scavenging near the redemption centres.

Redeeming beverage deposits and recycling...

Everyone: I read thru this topic and I noticed that Ontario has a 10 cent deposit on beverage containers-when was that increased from five cents which I remember?

In case anyone does not know-states with deposit laws on beverage containers include New York,Connecticut,Vermont,Massachusetts,Maine and Oregon with five cent deposits and Michigan is the only state with a ten cent deposit.

In my area I noticed that there are people that come out on recycling day looking specifically for the nickel deposits-what I do is place them separate in a bag next to my recycling can so they can easily get the deposits. Other neighbors of mine do similar things like placing the deposit containers on top in their cans so they can be easily taken.

I have heard that NYS would like to extend deposits to other non-deposit containers such as water bottles to encourage redemption and recycling.
When NYS enacted this law in 1983-84 many items we have today were not available back then.

With the increase in value of metals I wonder if scavengers in non-deposit areas are collecting more aluminum and steel cans-and if recycling programs are making some money now on it.

I am all for recycling-instead of just the waste ending up in a landfill.
I feel we all benefit from it! My thoughts-LI MIKE

On Bay Street.
2750737609_ddbec91497_b.jpg

Back