8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Time for Toronto to get angry

Jul 19, 2007 04:30 AM
Christopher Hume

How appropriate that Toronto City Council should defer new taxes and that the TD Bank should release a report about the city's economic decline on the same day.

In case there was any doubt in anyone's mind, the GTA is not doing well. Indeed, its role as Canada's economic powerhouse is threatened. And not just because Alberta has oil.

What we're seeing now are the results of a decade of provincial and federal neglect – even penalization – of Toronto.

Not that the proposed municipal taxes were necessarily good for the city. Many would argue that both the land transfer tax and a vehicle registration fee are best levied by the province, and applied across the board. Though the McGuinty Liberals have taken steps to promote intensification, mainly through the Places to Grow Act and Greenbelt legislation, there's much left undone.

For example, it has refused to take back its legally mandated responsibilities to fund social services, long since dumped on the city.

As University of Toronto urban studies professor Larry Bourne points out, "The province says it wants intensification but keeps many policies that are counterproductive. Why, for instance, doesn't it introduce uniform education taxes on business throughout Ontario and level the playing field? I find it hypocritical."

Car registration fees are ridiculously low in Canada, Bourne also points out, so why doesn't Queen's Park raise them throughout the province? "It's not appropriate for the city to levy such taxes," Bourne continues. "The province should."

Again and again, we are faced with the disturbing truth that the provincial government is the main cause of the GTA's decline. All that talk about the city getting its house in order sounds good, but it misses the point. As Don Drummond, co-author of the TD report says, Toronto exists within a "financial straitjacket."

True, the province gave the city new taxing powers last January, and they are absolutely necessary. But rather than using those powers wisely, city councillors have rejected them.

What council should be contemplating are congestion fees, road tolls and the like, measures that would help the city triply; first by raising revenues, secondly by improving travel times within the GTA and finally by reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

But council's actions and the TD report add up to a portrait of a city caught in a downward spiral. Unable to raise the money it needs to deliver the services residents expect, Toronto cuts back. This in turn makes the city less competitive, less attractive to individuals and business, which quit the city, further lowering the tax base.

And so it goes.

Who loses? Not just Torontonians, but all Ontarians and indeed, Canadians.

But still, all three provincial political parties have made it clear they're not interested in dealing with the issue, which is largely of their own making.

This isn't just short-sighted; it's self-destructive, even ruinous.

History tells us that urban centres rise and fall as surely as the tides. One need look no farther than Buffalo and Detroit to see once-thriving centres reduced to civic husks.

The same process of decline has started in Toronto, and although a decade of damage has been inflicted, recovery is well within the realm of possibility.

But before anything can happen, Torontonians must get angry, very angry, and get rid of those who would destroy their city and way of life.

Dalton McGuinty, Stephen Harper, are you listening?

While the TTC cut announcement is fear-mongering I hope they actually go through with the service cuts and mothballing of the sheppard subway. It would in my opinion be the best thing to come out of city hall in the last 5 years. Targeting the TTC for cutbacks and focusing on defering spending is precisely the wrong strategic decision. Infact it seems that Miller and his core NDP council memebers are consistantly picking the worst strategic decision every time they are presented with or come up with a list of options. But at least real cuts will serve as a wake-up call to help snap the city out of a 15 year management vacuum. The status quo is killing us and what we need much more than new revenue streams is creativity and flexibility. We have seen some creativity come out of individual city departments but at the core political level little.

untitled-1.jpg

untitled3.jpg

untitled2-1.jpg

Howard Beale:

"I don't have to tell you things are bad. ... We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat, and we sit watching our TV's while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be. We know things are bad - worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, 'Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone.' Well, I'm not gonna leave you alone. I WANT YOU TO GET MAD! I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot - I don't want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression (read: budget defecit) and the inflation (read: escalating cost of living) and the Russians (read: Al Qaeda? America? your choice) and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you've got to GET MAD. You've got to say, 'I'm a HUMAN BEING, Goddamnit! My life has VALUE!' So I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head out, and yell, 'I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!' "

This shit has just GOT to stop. Really, when will it end?! This city is THE economic engine of this entire fucking country. And it's broke?!

ABSURD.

This isn't funny. This isn't a minor issue.

THIS UTTER BULLSHIT STOPS NOW !!!!

This board is full of people who care deeply about this town.

WHERE IS THE ANGER?!

WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE?!

WHERE IS THE PASSION?!

First... YOU'VE GOT TO GET MAD, PEOPLE !!!

This shit is inarguably completely outrageous, and has been for a fucking DECADE now.

ENOUGH.

It's WAY past time to FIGHT for this city's future - don't you get it yet?! The province and the feds will keep us in the financial shitter literally FOREVER unless we GET MAD! Just how much more of this utter crap are you willing to accept?! And for just how long?!

Fuck this - from now on, TO's emblem should be this...

middlefinger.jpg

...because that's PRECISELY what we're getting from EVERYONE else in this entire country.

I'm fucking sick to death of it - it's time to GET MAD!

Hysterical? Extreme? Over the top?

NO!

It's barely enough for the unbelievably shitty treatment we receive from EVERY other part of this country, relentlessly.

GET MAD!

Come on - STAND UP FOR THE CITY!!!

And what if Arthur Jensen was/is running the province/country? He'd say:

"You have meddled with the primal forces of nature, Mr. Beale, and I won't have it. Is that clear? You think you've merely stopped a business deal? That is not the case. The Arabs have taken billions of dollars out of this country, and now they must put it back. It is ebb and flow, tidal gravity. It is ecological balance. You are an old man who thinks in terms of nations and peoples. There are no nations; there are no peoples. There are no Russians. There are no Arabs. There are no third worlds. There is no West. There is only one holistic system of systems; one vast, interwoven, interacting, multivaried, multinational dominion of dollars.

The world is a business, Mr. Beale; it has been since man crawled out of the slime. Our children will live, Mr. Beale, to see that perfect world in which there's no war or famine, oppression or brutality - one vast and ecumenical holding company, for whom all men will work to serve a common profit, in which all men will hold a share of stock - all necessities provided, all anxieties tranquilized, all boredom amused. And I have chosen you, Mr. Beale, to preach this evangel."

Okay, I know this has nothing to do with the thread at hand, but it's four in the f*cking morning and I'm still working.

This sure can be a weird city/province/country sometimes.

Toronto's got a lot to learn
There was a classic failure of leadership here this week: a vote by Toronto's city council not to impose taxes on land transfers and car registrations
RICK SALUTIN

From Friday's Globe and Mail

E-mail Rick Salutin | Read Bio | Latest Columns
July 20, 2007 at 12:00 AM EDT

There was a classic failure of leadership here this week: a vote by Toronto's city council not to impose taxes on land transfers and car registrations. It's a textbook case, for study by future eras and civilizations.

Take as background an example of actual leadership. Here are the words of London Mayor Ken Livingstone, in 2000, shortly before his re-election after years of attacks on himself and his city, by both Thatcher Tories and Blair Labourites. “The great shining lie of British politics is that you can have good public services without putting up taxes.†He uses the hard word, lie; he states the worthy goal, good public services, instead of shabby ones; and he portrays the route to it – more taxes – as a challenge instead of something to apologize for. Here's the response, described by a reporter: “The crack of palm on palm was thunderous.â€

No guts, no glory.

It is this kind of truth-telling, along with the prize when it works, that Toronto Mayor David Miller avoided. His main argument for adding taxes, reportedly, was that other big cities do it too. That's apologetic and imitative. Nor did he try to carry the issue to the people. It seems that he and his inner circle feared he'd just provide a target for the neo-cons and tax-haters. This kind of timidity is always wrong, not because it's strategically not astute, but because it shows distrust of your fellow citizens. It's all strategy in the end; the real trick is knowing how to call on people's better, more communal instincts.

I'd say he had a winner in both new taxes. Land transfer taxes would mainly affect developers and speculators, the guys who ran City Hall during the Art Eggleton to Mel Lastman years and against whom David Miller campaigned. Downtowners (like me) who saw their taxes rise as their property value theoretically soared, but who never planned to cash in because we love our homes, would've seen some relief. The car registration tax reflects everyone's main concern: the environment.

Those opposed didn't even have the guts to vote the new taxes down. They “deferred†a decision till after the coming provincial vote in order to pressure the political parties into promising more money to the city. For years, Toronto demanded the right to raise money beyond property taxes. The current government finally granted that right, so these elected municipal geniuses don't use it – as a tactic. That's both uninspiring and stupid.

As for those who like their politics strictly in terms of the games being played: Any time you're mayor, and you lose a vote 23-22, and you didn't find a way to bribe or bully that one vote you needed, you should give it some thought.

Harry Potter and reading

Till now, each new Harry Potter novel brought praise for how the series renewed the art of reading among kids lost to video games or the Internet.

This time, the media, in their fickle way, turned the story around, saying the effect was overstated or confined only to reading the Harry books.

What both approaches share is the assumption that reading a lot is a good thing, and that not reading isn't.

But why is reading such a value? I read a lot myself and reading has pretty much saved the lives of many people I know. But it can also isolate people from each other and encourage a broken social setting, which plays its part in the loss of things like “good public services.†A lot of kids who don't read, says a recent article, spend hours each day on chat lines. What about the upside of that? You're in contact with others, attuning yourself to them, etc. What about walking around, listening to music? Why is that less elevating than sitting in a chair with a book? Whatever happened to just thinking? Arthur Schopenhauer wrote: “To put away one's own original thoughts in order to take up a book is the sin against the Holy Ghost.†Get a grip, people. It may not look so bleak in the perspective of millennia.

Downtowners (like me) who saw their taxes rise as their property value theoretically soared, but who never planned to cash in because we love our homes, would've seen some relief

I think he is exactly part of the problem.

AoD

There was a classic failure of leadership here this week: a vote by Toronto's city council not to impose taxes on land transfers and car registrations

I do agree with this - no one has been showing themselves to be leaders this week. First in choosing not to make a decision on the taxes and "hoping" that an October election will solve the problem - come'on, council - has Queen's Park shown any interest in paying for the cities financial troubles yet? And now in the grandstanding of "massive cuts" that have to occur. I like David Miller, and his vision of Toronto - it's a city I want to live in. But I am starting to doubt that city council has any ability to implement it - they don't have the power and they don't have the guts.

The land transfer tax-grab would have mainly affected ordinary people buying homes, not developers and speculators as Salutin claims, surely? The majority of home purchasers are not speculating - they're buying somewhere to live. Also, it seems logical that property tax should be lower in 416 than in sprawling 905, especially in the compact downtown core where it is more efficient to provide services. Unfortunately, rising downtown house prices coupled with the present method of assessment means that downtowners are paying more tax and in effect subsidizing property owners in the outer ring of suburbia who are seeing their property taxes reduced. The land transfer tax-grab piggybacks on this inequitable assessment system.

The main mistake was passing up the opportunity to introduce a number of new taxes, at a low rate, across the board. Hitting homebuyers hard and sideswiping car owners, exclusively, was bound to end in tears.

The strange thing is that, over the past year, a consensus appeared to be developing that the province, no matter who was in charge, would likely upload between $150 million and $250 million in services per year. In a bizare coincidence, this amount is exactly the difference between the revneues Miller's taxes would have brought in ($365 million) and the city's operating budget deficit ($575 million). Wow... who would have thought? You think that maybe, just maybe, there might have been a plan to all this?
THe province is still going to upload services, but it sure as hell isn't going to upload $575 million. And now, we're stuck with the fact that, when the province DOES upload ~$200 million, people will assume our problems are over. If only this were true.

"Also, it seems logical that property tax should be lower in 416 than in sprawling 905, especially in the compact downtown core where it is more efficient to provide services."

It would seem this were true but it is not. Services should be more efficient but they aren't, infact sometimes they cost more in 416. That is why I fail to accept that money is currently being well spent. I actually don't mind paying more but we certainly aren't getting more for more and that is the issue. The main point is that all these new revenue stream are not about spending money to make the city better, they are about keeping things the same. City hall is obsessed with keeping things the same when really they should be exerting all their efforts to making things better. That's why it might be time for the city to seriously think of getting out of some of the areas it currently takes responsibility for. I mentioned housing as an example but transit etc. might be an option to. This is not because private interests or other levels of government can do things better or cheaper but because the resources and responsibilities of the city don't match. Doing all things badly is just bad policy. We should be doing less things well if the resources are not available to us. Defering spending and cutting little bits of everyone's budget is precisely the wrong direction, it just makes us do all things even worse.

A central issue is that Toronto rate payers are paying municipal taxes that are being used to cover some provincial services that are provincial responsibilities (all provincial parties have admitted as much). It is then the responsibility of the province to manage these programs. Another fact is that we have had provincial governments that cut provincial taxes to get elected, and then opted to pass those costs onto the cities in order to maintain those programs and services. The provice itself has a legitimate set of complaints against the federal government.

To keep up with the demands of covering what ought to be provincial programs, the city has fallen behind in its own muncipal responsibilities. Again, this issue goes right back to the province. It is that level of government that has created many elements of this present mess; if they want to lead, this is one area they are going to have to lead us out of. The city can't do it alone.

As for municipal taxes being raised to cover costs, let us remember that owners are not reaping massive gains when their property value increases. So long as they live in their house or condo, that dwelling is not "doing" anything for them financially. They only reap a financial gain if they move to a new property that is less expensive. Increasingly, these are outside of the city. Escalating property values are beyond the control of individual owners, and the increasing municipal tax load can have a negative effect on people such as those with fixed incomes. Contrary to popular opinion, not all retirees are rich. So let's please be a little careful when tossing around casual rationales about tax increases.

Also, it seems logical that property tax should be lower in 416 than in sprawling 905, especially in the compact downtown core where it is more efficient to provide services.

For new condo and apartment neighborhoods that is certainly the case. Firstly they paid development fees lately, secondly there is less length of road/pipe/sidewalk to service the building, and lastly garbage pickup involves driving in with a front-end loader and hitting a button which looks after many apartments in one hit. Residential single-detached or semi neighborhoods have more road/pipe/sidewalk per residence, sidewalk plowing, and per home man-powered garbage pick-up. In addition the pipes and infrastructure in the older parts of the city is coming due for replacement.

Once again taxation on apartment buildings shows how policy is set by voters living in low density residential neighborhoods and not common sense. Taxes on those old apartment buildings seriously needing maintenance are higher than homes. In order to set the property tax rate at the same rate as homes in the city they would have had to raise the property tax rate their core voters pay... shudder.

Unfortunately, rising downtown house prices coupled with the present method of assessment means that downtowners are paying more tax and in effect subsidizing property owners in the outer ring of suburbia who are seeing their property taxes reduced. The land transfer tax-grab piggybacks on this inequitable assessment system.

Well not the outer ring... since the tax rates are set in the city beyond the 416 is not subsidized. It is likely that 905 is paying far more tax per resident now than those in the 416 considering how much development fees they are getting and new infrastructure built by developers. As the last parts of Mississauga get developed and infrastructure received free from developers becomes a maintenance and upkeep burden there will be far more tax pressures on Mississauga residents.

The main mistake was passing up the opportunity to introduce a number of new taxes, at a low rate, across the board. Hitting homebuyers hard and sideswiping car owners, exclusively, was bound to end in tears.

I think the car fee could have gone through. A 1% sales tax on non-necessities, especially after GST was lowered, could probably have worked as well. I'm just so surprised that a council which keeps talking about affordable housing and social systems keeps coming up with ideas which hurt those in need the most.

I don't think efficiency is part of every decision and that is a problem. A simple decision to plant bulbs and bushes that flower at different points through the summer versus planting flowers that need to be flown in from warmer climates and die every year can save money. Yanking out transit stops and speeding boarding can save money. Figuring out how other jurisdictions get away with no police officer at every construction site saves money. Instead the thought process seems to be that the only way to accomplish more is to spend more, not to work smarter.

And then Grandma who bought her Beach(es) single detatched for $50,000 in 1950 and now plans to sell the house to pay for her retirement and gets $700,000 should pay capital gains?

One more comment to this. Regardless of the fact she paid $50,000 for the property, she is now living a $700,000 life style by simply owning that home. The amount Bill Gates paid to start Microsoft matters not when determining the outcome. Grandma could easily choose to move into a $350,000 property and have $350,000 in her pocket. Nobody today has the option of paying $50,000 for that property and I doubt Grandma is going to sell it to them at that price out of the goodness of her heart.

Back