News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Of course, I'd love to see DMUs. But I think just having public transit buses start is needed, and needed now. Start with 7-day hourly service, with 30 minute peak service, and improve from there. Then add buses to go direct to the universities. Then plan for rail as ridership responds.

I'd also like to see hourly (or better) limited-stop trains (DMUs could do this job nicely) between Kitchener and Union Station, and I don't care if VIA or GO or even if some other public or public-contracted agency operates those, as long as they make limited stops, and charge appropriate fares.

I'd like to see DMU's in Niagara Region too, but interregional buses are a good start. I only hope that the respective governments don't simply rest on their laurels and let the system stagnate. St Catharines also needs to boost it's local service in order to allow transit to grow to a respectable market share.....that and stop allowing big box developments, but this is North America where such soulless architecture is seemingly what people want.

St. Catharines already has decent transit ridership already, around 40 rides per capita. Compare that to Hamilton which only has around 44 riders per capita despite its size. But yeah obviously there is room for improvement.

Have to admit I'm surprised Niagara got this off the ground as it's been discussed for as long as I can remember. I always suspected that GO would need to be the entity to take control of the situation. For a region with one of the oldest populations (and that number is growing as retirees from the GTA start buying up cheap megahomes down there) a regional transit system is going to be a necessity going forward, so here's hoping it's successful.

Back