News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

lordmandeep

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
I think its time in Toronto we get a strong man mayor like the guy in Chicago or something.

So, imo the best choice is someone who is a moderate. He cares about the urban feel of the city but is tough on crime, grit. A man who wishes to build the city and to get rid of its inefficiency.

The thing is, I can't think of someone currently in Toronto who is like that...

There is no way Miller is getting re-elected. He has lost any support outside of the NDP, union people.

*** I know its potential not potentail...

Unless you are looking to get some tail from the mayor's office. But that would be so "Elliot Spitzer."

It's also "it is" or "it's" and not "its" in the above case.

Regardless, saying Miller has lost all support beyond "union people" is far from accurate.

When Miller's term finishes he'll have been in office for seven years. I'm not sure he'd even want to run for mayor again.

I think its time in Toronto we get a strong man mayor like the guy in Chicago or something.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080324.CITYHALL24/TPStory/TPNational/Politics/
Councillor Adam Vaughan (Ward 20, Trinity-Spadina), a left-leaning independent who has spoken out against recent moves by the mayor to seek more power, says the frequent references around city hall to Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley, and the U.S. "strong mayor" system are proving tiresome. "I always ask, 'which Daley?' because the powers haven't changed between the two, and one was a very good mayor, and one wasn't a very good mayor," he said.
Mr. Vaughan was of course referring to the current Chicago mayor's father, Richard J. Daley, who was the city's mayor from 1955 to 1976.
While revered by supporters, he was notorious for heading an old-fashioned machine tainted by corruption allegations, for his infamous "shoot-to-kill" order during riots after Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination and for encouragement of what was later deemed a "police riot" against anti-war protesters outside the 1968 Democratic convention.

Richard J. Daley was also against film crews setting up shop in Chicago. The first major movie to be both filmed and set in Chicago was The Blues Brothers, filmed in 1979, released in 1980. One of the running gags was all the references to the (at that point, dead) "Honorable Richard J. Daley", including the "Mayor Dailey no longer dines here, he's dead" quote and racing through Daley Plaza and crashing into the Mies building to rub it in.

Do we need a Richard J. Daley or a Kwame Kilpatrick?

We need a potent mayor to fix the ails of the city for sure.

I find it amusing that some big-"L" Liberals (like Warren Kinsella) thought Vaughan's victory was such a great thing and a blow to Miller and the NDP. It isn't. Vaughan is to the NDP councillors what Bernie Sanders is to the liberal Democrats in the US Senate. If anything I'd say he (as well as supposed "Miller crony" Gord Perks) are to the left of the NDP "establishment."

There was no ideological difference between Vaughan and Helen Kennedy, Vaughan was just a much, much better candidate.

I find it amusing that some big-"L" Liberals (like Warren Kinsella) thought Vaughan's victory was such a great thing and a blow to Miller and the NDP. It isn't. Vaughan is to the NDP councillors what Bernie Sanders is to the liberal Democrats in the US Senate. If anything I'd say he (as well as supposed "Miller crony" Gord Perks) are to the left of the NDP "establishment."
Also akin to a certain strain of Liberal Democrats vs Labour (esp. New Labour) in Britain.

There was no ideological difference between Vaughan and Helen Kennedy, Vaughan was just a much, much better candidate.
Also, shades of Hillary vs Obama in that race...

First of all, I certainly wouldn't call Warren Kinsella a big-"L" Liberal. Also, Adam Vaughan might disagree with you since last campaign he was going on about how he was a Liberal and he used the Liberal machine to get elected.

Steve Munro for Mayor!

A citizen cannot be a TTC commissioner, just a politician. So how about Steve Munro for mayor? Then he can turn around the anti-transit view of the Transportation Department. For example, as the mayor he could get true transit priority signals, without having to genuflect, crawl on our knees, and kiss the Transportation Department ring.
Steve could end up on the Toronto Transit Commission as well.

Back