News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Depends on your definition of fresh air. Urban air, rural air, or wilderness air.

Sorry about that, Chief.

It's irrelevant that khristopher suggested they go out for "air" (in theory). His comment specifically deals with "fresh" air (in reality) and urban air can rarely be considered fresh.

Oh dear, it's going to be a long 3 years, before those new modern streetcars arrive ...

Actually. a half car physical mock-up for you to walk through will be available for viewing early winter of 2011. Delivery of three prototype vehicles could be late in 2011 for testing and to get the bugs out. The first production vehicle will be delivered in early 2013. Between now and 2013, there will be ongoing changes and alterations to the design, so the mock-ups and the prototypes will not be the final design. To be more accurate, the prototype vehicles will be handmade while the production vehicles will be assembly-line.

Last edited:
Do we know where in Europe the prototype will be made?

Most likely in Kassel, Germany, but could be other plants which already build Flexity light rail vehicles. The final assembly for the prototypes could be in the Bombardier plant in Thunder Bay, Ontario (to give them the experience) or at the TTC Hillcrest yard in Toronto. Depends on how they want to build the prototypes.

I will miss our urban tanks.

[video=youtube;2itUrpPdiTY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2itUrpPdiTY[/video]

I will miss our urban tanks.

[video=youtube;2itUrpPdiTY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2itUrpPdiTY[/video]

Watch as the whale protects the little dolphins that usually follows the whale on its travels, from the predators that lay in wait to pounce, pushing them aside.

This nature moment from...

Man are those new streetcars ever ugly looking. And the double ended trains? Is that even neccessary with our track infrastructure? The current streetcars are much more pleasing on the eyes. Thats what we get for paying people in europe to build our streetcars instead of paying canadians (and creating jobs) to build them here.

The replacement streetcars for the downtown network will be single-ended. The cars for the new Transit City lines will be double-ended, avoiding the need to build loops for turn-back operation. The streetcars are being built by Bombardier, a Canadian company, in Thunder Bay, ON, where presumably many Canadians will work.

Let's not cloud the falsehoods with the facts. Those damned Europeans at Bombardier stealing Canadian jobs from Siemens!!

Why not create a similar exterior for the streetcars like we have now, and keep the mandatory specifications including low floor of course, instead of generic meaningless designs that could be streetcars anywhere.

Why not create a similar exterior for the streetcars like we have now, and keep the mandatory specifications including low floor of course, instead of generic meaningless designs that could be streetcars anywhere.

The low-floors shift the windows downward, and most of the mechanical controls and wiring will go overhead. Which required a whole new design that is different from the high-floor vehicles we have now.

The low-floors will cause "bumps" in the floor where the bogies (wheels) protrude, so there will have to be a change in the seating requiring changes to the windows and door layouts.

BT-2291-Bogie_BM_1000.JPG

One item I would like to see are the bogie skirts covering the wheels. They should deafen any sound or squeal and improve the appearance.

BT-2747-Brussels.jpg

Send your remarks to http://lrv.ttc.ca/Design-Our-New-Ride.aspx at the TTC's Design Your Ride website. Personally, I would like a more PCC look than the CLRV's, but lean towards the larger windows of the possible new vehicles.

streetcar-4003-85.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if the real, and unstated, reason why the TTC doesn't want to have the headlight on the new cars is because they believe it is necessary to stick a TTC logo on the front. On a related note, I wonder if the TTC will actually place the logo on the front of the new subways cars as shown in all of their illustrations. That's probably taking it a bit far, in my opinion. After all, what else but a TTC vehicle would be travelling through the subway system? I wouldn't put it past them though...

They could always go without any headlights, which the old Montreal streetcars did.

streetcar-4753-19.jpg

Or use an incandescent light bulb, which our Peter Witt streetcars used.

800px-HCRY-Peter-Witt-TTC-2984.jpg

But more likely they'll use dual headlights, along with other Christmas tree lights as well.

4277675604_cd8cde779d.jpg

Back