News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Only because BMO is based here. If you give an average 22 year old Toronto or NYC or San Francisco. They'll choose NYC. There's proof of this out there.

Maybe for American graduates, not for Canadian. I can't think of a single one of my acquaintances who managed to relocate with a job to the States.

But it only makes sense for a BMO Harris employee to strive to get to Toronto as that is where the parent company sits, that is where all the advancement and career opportunities are located. We see a lot of that here.. My skip level manager is from Chicago.

Maybe for American graduates, not for Canadian. I can't think of a single one of my acquaintances who managed to relocate with a job to the States.

But it only makes sense for a BMO Harris employee to strive to get to Toronto as that is where the parent company sits, that is where all the advancement and career opportunities are located. We see a lot of that here.. My skip level manager is from Chicago.

I think that cnn survey was world wide but it probably speaks to "brand recognition" factors of cities more than anything. No matter where you are in the world you have heard of NY, Chicago, San Fran, etc......hollywood has done a good marketing job for America!

So we agree that BMO won't suffer from Toronto's transit problems because the home office is here. That list is global, Toronto needs to step it up and stop bickering about transit.

So we agree that BMO won't suffer from Toronto's transit problems because the home office is here. That list is global, Toronto needs to step it up and stop bickering about transit.

I am confused, is it your position that when asked where they want to live/work these +/- 4,300 students worldwide were thinking about transit and that 94% of them said "transit in Canada is not very good, I will pick somewhere else".

I am not supporting the NDP/Horvath but I think you are misinterpreting what she is saying. Right now existing HOV lanes are there to encourage multiple occupancy vehicles and entice people to car pool/ride share by offering them a swifter commute......converting existing HOV lanes to HOT lanes reduces the value of that car pool/ride share incentive by allowing more vehicles into those lanes (ie single occupancy vehicles) and, true to NDP principles, that single car access is based on ability/willingness to pay...I don't think she is saying anyone is forced to pay to use the lanes but she questions why anyone should be able to pay.

When you word it in that way, I can see where she's coming from.

Though on the flip side, she isn't proposing any other useful solution other than repeat the same corporate tax loophole slogan.

I am confused, is it your position that when asked where they want to live/work these +/- 4,300 students worldwide were thinking about transit and that 94% of them said "transit in Canada is not very good, I will pick somewhere else".

My position is that Toronto is not on the list when it should be, and that transit is one of the main factors why. It is impossible to get anywhere.

My position is that Toronto is not on the list when it should be, and that transit is one of the main factors why. It is impossible to get anywhere.

I think you give the surveyors and the surveyees far too much credit. I doubt that there was any consideration as to transit given and it is very little surprise to find that the top countries and cities are all "famous" cities.

EDIT: In fact, the article actually talks about the reasons given for various choices.

cnnarticleabove said:
The job prospects in most of these markets have not been very robust, but many students still thought opportunities were available in their field. Business students, for example, cited finance jobs as a reason to find New York and London attractive. IT majors named San Francisco because of all the software and dot-com companies based in the area.

But there were a litany of other reasons students were drawn to these cities.

New York's diversity, for example, makes the city a magnet. "[Students] know the city is not homogenous," said Bailey. "They think, 'In New York, even if I'm different, there will be a lot of people like me.'"

Students also cited New York's culture, opportunities to network, and entertainment venues. Most students, though, focused on career advancement.

Notably, transit is not mentioned as a reason for (or against) any of those cities.

Last edited:

Yeah I'm sure those students didn't pick Toronto because they thought that we didnt have good transit. How much transit does San Francisco have and yet its on the list. Canada and Toronto specifically just does not have a high global profile so in these sort of "popularity" contests, we hardly register on people's minds.

Meanwhile, the GTA's 3rd largest municipality has weighed in with its position on the proposed funding tools.

http://www.bramptonguardian.com/new...ve-funding-tools-don-t-get-brampton-s-support

Looks like Brampton is taking a page from Toronto's books. By choosing not to support any of the revenue tools, when the province imposes them anyways, they can hold their heads up high and say that they chose not to support new taxes but the province forced it on taxpayers anyways.

Looks like Brampton is taking a page from Toronto's books. By choosing not to support any of the revenue tools, when the province imposes them anyways, they can hold their heads up high and say that they chose not to support new taxes but the province forced it on taxpayers anyways.

I think you are right but I also think the municipalities have a point.......it is the province who are suggesting these things so they need to have some level of accountability to the public on what they pick to implement, how they choose to spend it and the impact that those things have.

Its pretty empty with 2. Why make it 3?

Without going into a rant... keeping it simple, math, 2 drivers out of their cars instead of one will decrease (well hopefully) congestion, and have a more useful fuel consumption ratio; the later saving commuters money.

Besides, IMHO, just having a passenger is normal and requires no effort for a possible reward. Case in point, I know someone who ferries passengers around so he can get places faster for his own business.

Except they are the same one who complain "we weren't consulted" and whine about agencies like the OMB.

Except they are the same one who complain "we weren't consulted" and whine about agencies like the OMB.

Be careful. They might have been "consulted" at some meetings, but the politicians (instead of staying inside listening to the deputations) were outside putting fridge magnets on their cars.

Back