News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I've listened to numerous complaints about lack of bridge and roadway maintenance in rural Ontario (Bruce and Grey county). Prior to stimulus, some bridges were decades behind on their repair schedule because the local municipality was having difficulties coming up with hundreds of thousands of dollars for the repairs.

Nothing quite like driving an extra 20 miles between fields because you're afraid the bridge won't hold your equipment (combine, etc.) any more.

It's entirely possible rural Ontarians would be in favour of a sales tax if they saw a visible difference in local roadways (pave a few gravel roads, rebuild bridges, raise roadbeds that flood in spring, etc.). They'll scream until construction starts though.

It seems like you might be wrong…

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/transportation/2013/05/31/metrolinx_hst_gas_tax_proposals_prove_unpopular_poll.html

Last edited:
The only case the province have is to raise the HST for the while province...

Good luck winning an election doing that
All the talk of these new taxes has pushed the Liberals in the lead, with their best polling in over a year. I think you might overestimate the sensitivity of the electorate to this. If they play this properly it might not hurt them. They might even be able to paint Hudak as the bad guy on it, as it's his federal counterpart who wouldn't co-operate.

All the talk of these new taxes has pushed the Liberals in the lead, with their best polling in over a year. I think you might overestimate the sensitivity of the electorate to this. If they play this properly it might not hurt them. They might even be able to paint Hudak as the bad guy on it, as it's his federal counterpart who wouldn't co-operate.

You seriously think that?

Polls means nothing. Look what happened in both Alberta and B.C.

You are assuming that they can't get the NDP's cooperation. The latter will of course demand more of the burden be placed on businesses, which is something that can be sorted out, of course. As populist Andrea Horwarth might be, I highly doubt that killing the possibility of new transit is in their political DNA.

AoD

Last edited:

Pretty certain I said "They'll scream until construction starts though."

Low amount of faith in the government is different than wanting stuff done and being willing to pay for it. This poll reflects the faith in the government doing what they say they will with the money.

Also worth noting is this group screamed equally loudly when the local hospitals reduced their hours (under Harris) and for the health-care premium (under McGuinty) to extend hours and reduce wait times.

Last edited:
You are assuming that they can't get the NDP's cooperation. The latter will of course demand more of the burden be placed on businesses, which is something that can be sorted out, of course.

AoD

In term of ideology, you are right.The NDP could support a greater burden on businesses.

Politically, they have nothing to gain. As shown in this morning's Star article, a provincial wide increase is very unpopular. I don't see them endorsing it...

Wynne, (courageously) is all in on this.

Solid Snake:

Politically they have quite a bit to lose in the inner city for failing to tackle this issue - and worse if they are being seen as those who blotched this. Which is why I see it being applied outside of HST (rightly so), perhaps only to GTA and Ottawa.

AoD

Last edited:
Pretty certain I said "They'll scream until construction starts though."

Low amount of faith in the government is different than wanting stuff done and being willing to pay for it. This poll reflects the faith in the government doing what they say they will with the money.

Also worth noting is this group screamed equally loudly when the local hospitals reduced their hours (under Harris) and for the health-care premium (under McGuinty) to extend hours and reduce wait times.

Besides Eglinton Crosstown, nothing will start by the next election to appease angry taxpayers.

Scarborough will be (rightfully) outrage at the chaos the shutdown of the SRT will put them through.

Sheppard and Finch won't star any construction before then. I'd be surprised if any LRT projects in the regions would start by then.

Spadina extension will open late 2015. Sooner would have helped them.

People will be paying taxes and they will start to see results only beyond the next election. Liberals are asking us to "trust them"... Again...

I'm skeptical about Ontarians (not only the GTA) patience, confidence and tolerance towards the liberals

Last edited:
Solid Snake:

Politically they have quite a bit to lose in the inner city for failing to tackle this issue - and worse if they are being seen as those who blotched this. Which is why I see it being applied outside of HST (rightly so), perhaps only to GTA and Ottawa.

AoD

That would be the only way to limit the damages. Still, outside of the old City of Toronto, this will hurt them hard in Scarborough, North York and Etobicoke.

Solid Snake:

Well, the planning process would start on the other projects (and those in the next wave as well) - and could you imagine what would happen if the next government (whoever it may be) decide to cancel the new tax and preempt all of them (because now there won't be any way to fund them at all, short of adding to the debt)? That will be another set of outrage over it.

AoD

Besides Eglinton Crosstown, nothing will start by the next election to appease angry taxpayers.

Eglinton is within the GTA. The statement you responded to, which I re-responded to, had to do with people in rural Ontario.

For them, you could pave their gravel roads and start local bridge rebuilds within months of funds becoming available.

If the GTA prefers increased congestion and job opportunity reductions over a sales tax; then so be it.

Last edited:
Polls means nothing. Look what happened in both Alberta and B.C.
Both of which showed the incumbent being tossed, and were wrong. It's the age-old anti-incumbent bias in polling.

Surely that benefits the Liberals in Ontario though.

They will... Guaranteed.
Didn't you say similar about Ornge, e-Health, and the Green Tax though? LOL!

Eglinton is within the GTA. The statement you responded to, which I re-responded to, had to do with people in rural Ontario.

For them, you could pave their gravel roads and start local bridge rebuilds within months of funds becoming available.

If the GTA prefers increased congestion and job opportunity reductions over a sales tax; then so be it.

In regards to rural Ontario, the polls in the Star shows that they are even more against it.

My interpretation is that they feel that the government should.look at efficiencies or/and revise theit priorities of what should be funded first in the provincial budget.

Back