News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Ever been to New York City and bought something? You're helping pay for that city's transit.

See link.

The total sales and use tax rate in New York City is 8.875%.

This includes:
  • New York City local sales and use tax rate of 4.5%
  • New York State sales and use tax rate of 4%
  • Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District surcharge of 0.375%
There is no sales tax on an item of clothing or footwear that costs less than $110. An item of clothing or footwear that costs $110 or more is subject to the full 8.875% tax rate. Sales tax is calculated per item, so even if you buy two or more items that add up to $110 or more, you only pay tax on the items that individually cost $110 or more.

The following purchases are exempt from sales tax:
  • Unprepared and packaged food products, dietary foods, certain beverages, and health supplements sold by food markets
  • Diapers
  • Drugs and medicines for people
  • Medical equipment and supplies for home use
  • Newspapers, magazines, and other periodicals
  • Prosthetic aids and devices, hearing aids, and eyeglasses
  • Laundry and dry cleaning services
  • Shoe repair services
  • Some items used to make or repair clothing and footwear
  • Veterinary medical services

What Houston did is re-organize their bus network in order to make the best use of existing resources in response to budget cuts, so if anything this is what the TTC would do if it had to follow through with Tory's 2.6% cut. However, I don't know if this could be effectively applied to Toronto since our bus routes already follow most of the principals that Jarrett talks about for efficient bus service (straight lines on arterial roads). Montreal, on the other hand, has an awful spiderweb of circuitous and infrequent bus routes that could really use an outside consultant to re-organize.

That's mostly true in the West Island, where about 15% of Montreal's island population live. Elsewhere on the island, it works mostly on a grid system on arterials like in Toronto, with frequent service.

Apparently the routes will be reorganized in the West Island once the REM is in service (~4-5 years, if all goes well). So there's hope!

Untitled.png

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    108.8 KB · Views: 189
Surprise, surprise. Of course, there is something rather ironic about a tolling plan coming live in the 2020s based on options available in the 2020s by a government that won't last anywhere near the 2020s. I am sure it will take 2 years to study the issue, until completion after the next provincial election *sneer*

AoD

That's mostly true in the West Island, where about 15% of Montreal's island population live. Elsewhere on the island, it works mostly on a grid system on arterials like in Toronto, with frequent service.

Apparently the routes will be reorganized in the West Island once the REM is in service (~4-5 years, if all goes well). So there's hope!

I'm going to vent a little because I'm a transit-dependant Montrealer.

This is the path my bus route takes:
37_bus_route-png.94486

The problem is that, outside of parts of downtown and I guess the east end, the city itself isn't laid out in a grid system. And the one-way streets work against having any kind of bidirectional transit service too. The road network has a terrible layout. Even the metro lines do milk runs rather than go in a direct path.

Here is a transit post proposing some improvements to the bus network. Merging the 24 and the 105 would benefit me tremendously with some of the trips I take, but really a redesign would be better..

This map below shows, IMHO, the useful bus lines.

montreal-metro-and-bus.png

Attachments

• 37_bus_route.png
    37_bus_route.png
    313.8 KB · Views: 182
That quote will rally quite a few advocacy groups against Mr Colle, and he will likely come to regret having made it. However, I support his saying it.

Around the time we turned 58-ish, my normally principled spouse surprised me by starting to ask for seniors' discounts just about everywhere they are available. Her rationale - which I have found to be true - is that to anyone under 25, we sixty-ish types look *ancient*. And no one under 40 would dare to card a questionable 'senior'. It's amazing just how many seniors' discounts there are, and how easy it is to get them.

Once, at a well known downtown attraction, a 17-ish ticket seller asked me "Do you want the Senior's Discount?" within earshot of his supervisor.... who rushed over, apologised, chewed the poor young fellow out for asking such an uncomfortable question. And then proceeded to give it to us anyways, just to make amends. We were well under the 65 age limit where their seniors discount applied.

I can buy the argument that many seniors are on very tenuous incomes, and are reliant on transit. However, this advantages seniors over all the younger poor. Personally I would rather see this support provided through social security or tax credits - of which there are also many - so that it benefits everyone near the poverty level. While applying some sort of means test to weed out the more affluent.

At the end of the day, many seniors are indeed somewhat coddled, and the TTC may need the money more.

- Paul

I didn't ask for the senior's movie ticket until I actually was over 65. Now I do.

These are not the seniors you are looking for. Move along.

Scrap all discount passes, and provide a discount to each according to their needs.

With Presto, this should be relatively easy to do. Apply a discount code to that specific card for whatever reason (senior, student, low income, etc), and then have them use the system as they normally do. Nobody except for the person using the card and the fare inspector would need to know what they actually paid when they tapped.

My question about a means-tested fare structure, if you're an OW or ODSP recipient, do you also have to be a City of Toronto resident to get the subsidy or would it be applied across the board to all Presto users across the GTA? Seems like a region-wide subsidy would make more sense.

Apply bulk percentage discounts based on need.
Eg.

University student? 30% off
Child? 50% off
Senior? 20% off

Have some enrollment centre where you can mail in status proof or sign up in person.

Once you start doing bulk discounts instead of talking specific fares, the discussion is easier to manage and can focus on region wide discounts.

Everyone is going to come down on the Councillors who voted against this motion; however, I'm not taking his bait and coming down on Matlow on this one instead. Who is the one making the political hay here? Who is the one emphasizing the political? I think it's Matlow with this motion. If I was Mayor I would not only vote no I would give Matlow a huge public slap-down. It is NOT the government's job to expressly make decisions on the basis of rational transit planning. If that were the case the City should vote to privatize the public transit system immediately. Resources would then flow absolutely and directly to the most efficient routes. Matlow misses the point that "useless" transit prioritization such as the Scarborough Subway is not detrimental to public buy in on revenue tools or transit planning, public buy-in is one of the primary points of the exercise in the first-place.

I'm totally personally for Matlow's motion by the way but he can't sit on a pedestal and say look I'm just trying to champion rational thinking and trying to rise above the political. The reality is that the motion was an intensely political and calculated one. If we apply similar logic to other government spending should we start to pass motions such as: Government should base future funding of healthcare dollars on the basis of the relative contributions of the patients work to society, or Government should fund education based on the relative academic aptitude of the student? Those might make some "logical" sense based on resource allocation but why would you handcuff your policy in this way and how are you improving public trust and buy-in by making people feel like little Johnny or Aunt Suzy are getting hosed.

Back