News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The city has stopped planting Ash trees
Mountain Ash aren't really Ash trees ... so presumably unaffected. Though I can't guarantee I've correctly identified them ...

but i think the biggest problem in toronto is the amount of salt used in the winter basically poisoning the soil.
Which would be why the 15-year old Red Maple in my back yard is dying ... the salt use on the alley nearby seems to have gone from 2-3 times a winter to 2-3 times a week. And why I'm letting a couple of Norway Maple seedlings grow in to replace it. I've transplanted another one to right near the front sidewalk where there is a lot of salt ... ultimately it would replace the existing Norway Maple that is nearby, and looks to be 80-90 years old.

They are beautiful and majestic trees - wonderful shade, and keep my house much cooler in the summer.

Though I also had a Tulip Tree planted ... which is on the city's approved list. And nor particularly common around me (though I noticed the city has since planted a few in the park across the street). Hopefully it's far enough away from the road salt.

Back