News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

York will take a bit more growth but not much, as they really want to grow their graduate programs.....they are salivating for a med. school.

So why not allow Seneca to significantly increase its enrolment at Seneca@York?

Heck, why not allow a whole other university to be established on the York campus? There is a great deal of room, especially if the campus becomes the high-density node that having a subway stop should require it to be.

Putting the Archives of Ontario and the Law Commission of Ontario there was a good start. Let's see more.

More sprawl should be avoided and good transit connections are important.

Agreed, but doesn't that tend to favour the above suggestion?

Downtown Oshawa (various vacant parcels)

Yes!

If the goal is for a No-Frills commuter campus, then I'd say:
- Brampton (OPP lands would work well)
- An upgraded Humber College, especially since the Lakeshore site has room to grow and decently connected to transit
- The old Lakeview Site in Mississauga
- The old refinery land in Port Credit (located near a No-Frills)

Ideally, I'd rather not see current GTA universities grow enrollment since all it does is shove more students in classrooms. You can talk about "expansion" all you want but I'm willing to bet there are more students in classrooms now than 10 years ago.

I'm with Keithz on this one. I think universities should become more exclusive, not less, and while we're at it, the basis for entrance should be something beyond your marks in the final two years of high school. Reference letters from high school teachers, a standardized SAT-like test and a sample of academic writing should be a must. I do not want to TA another undergrad student who can't think critically or write a coherent sentence.

Fixing the post-secondary system is only half the battle; we also have to fix the primary and secondary systems to make sure the undergrads can at least have the basic skills on arrival.

We also need more jobs that have skills that can be taught outside a postsecondary environment, either as apprenticeships or just with a high school diploma. The value of a bachelor's has been diluted because it's become a basic prerequisite to get a job that doesn't involve a cash register or deep fryer. Making a university degree more meaningful is only the culmination of a near total overhaul of the education system in Ontario, and probably Canada as a whole.

Strong Argument

While there is much to be said for the argument that University Education has become a defacto standard of good employment without much purpose.......

That is still the reality we live in.

I would be the first to say, that excepting those pursing the 'professions' (ie. law, medicine, engineering etc.) that Liberal Arts educations are really for 'scholars' aiming to be teachers, authors and professors and not only aren't needed for many jobs, they may actually be counter-productive for the companies in question.

For instance the most successful CEOs (arguably) in recent history of the CIBC and Bell were both people who started at the bottom (in the mail room) 40 years earlier.

They actually knew almost every job in the company;.

A valuable skill not learned when an MBA parachutes you to one whole level higher than mail room! (laughs)

That said, completely adjusting not only social mentality and business expectation, but also the quality and the aims of pre-university (or high school) education, is not something likely to be managed even in the next decade.

And as it stands, there is clearly far more demand for post-secondary education in the GTA than there are spaces.

Better to accommodate them here, than have students either denied an employment pre-requisite or have them go out-of-province or overseas for their education.

While there is much to be said for the argument that University Education has become a defacto standard of good employment without much purpose.......

That is still the reality we live in.

That said, completely adjusting not only social mentality and business expectation, but also the quality and the aims of pre-university (or high school) education, is not something likely to be managed even in the next decade.

I respectfully disagree. Start pumping out fewer grads and companies will lower their bar. The university degree has become the screen simply because there are enough liberal arts grads out there that companies can use it as a convenient screen.

And as it stands, there is clearly far more demand for post-secondary education in the GTA than there are spaces.

Better to accommodate them here, than have students either denied an employment pre-requisite or have them go out-of-province or overseas for their education.

Like I said, it doesn't have to be that way.... Force kids to go to colleges and companies will actually find that they have better trained and younger employees. There might be a few that go elsewhere for a university education. So be it. In large part, they probably will be the middle of the pack BA students that you see at most universities today. Developing the college and apprentice system will help us build a more productive society in the long run.

I respectfully disagree. Start pumping out fewer grads and companies will lower their bar. The university degree has become the screen simply because there are enough liberal arts grads out there that companies can use it as a convenient screen.

The bar has already been raised and it would be exceptionally hard to lower it again. Think of all those people out there who already have degrees - those are the people new workers have to compete with when entering the workforce. You can't erase the past few decades that have seen a huge growth in the amount of people with post-secondary educations.

Regardless of that fact, education is about more than preparing yourself for the workforce. It is about making a good and informed citizen. I see an education in any field as a good thing. It's all about bettering yourself, which in the end benefits society. It's quite fashionable to attack people with or pursuing liberal arts degrees because they're not really trained for a specific job - but they haven't spent 3-4 years doing nothing. They've learnt many things presented to them from many different angles - a repository of knowledge that they can draw upon when reading the news, going to the polls, watching a play, going to an art gallery, etc. I doubt Toronto's cultural renaissance could have happened without a substantial number of people with backgrounds in the liberal arts taking an interest in the cultural scene.

Like I said, it doesn't have to be that way.... Force kids to go to colleges and companies will actually find that they have better trained and younger employees. There might be a few that go elsewhere for a university education. So be it. In large part, they probably will be the middle of the pack BA students that you see at most universities today. Developing the college and apprentice system will help us build a more productive society in the long run.

You're assuming that everyone who wants a liberal arts degree can afford to just go elsewhere, or that the programs they want to pursue will continue to be offered elsewhere. Some people just don't want to be doctors, teachers, trades people, business people, or lawyers. There are a good deal of students in university now who probably would rather be in college or in an apprenticeship, but you should not use that as an excuse to clamp down on the liberal arts ruining it for the people who actually want to be there, and who will actually take something from it.

Our society needs to ask itself where it would be without the liberal arts. They create critical thinkers. For example, a background in history allows one deeper insight into the present, a background in English literature allows one a deeper understanding of rhetoric, etc. They increase or country's competitiveness in many ways. For example, in the age of globalization, companies and governments need people who not only speak other languages but understand other cultures. There are many many examples I could give about how the arts are beneficial to our society in general.

Plus, the age of going through one post-secondary program is over for a lot of people. A lot of people go to both university and college, pursue post-graduate work, or pursue professional degrees. The best way to prepare people for the workforce might be to expand the amount of post-graduate college programs offered in Ontario. For example, if I have a degree in English literature, maybe I'd want to go do a one year program at a college to learn about the publishing industry, or editing, or PR, or creative writing, etc. More - not less - education is the key to making Ontario more attractive in an increasingly educated world.

I can understand the attack on the arts. They're unfortunately seen as pointless - interestingly a lot of the time by the same people who bemoan the lack of knowledge about history and spelling in our younger generations (these people then go on to unfairly blame immigration/the Internet more often than not).

Back on topic, I think a new University should be built somewhere in the Western GTA. One site that hasn't been mentioned is that hasn't been mentioned yet is the former PetroCan refinery on the Oakville/Burlington border (if it's not being used anymore). Soil remediation would probably be ridiculously expensive, but it would be right on the Lakeshore West GO Line. A site in Peel would probably be more suitable though. I'm also going to plug my current city for a bit and suggest that the government invests in Trent. That school's had a hard time under it's soon-to-be-departing president and is actually seeing declining enrollment. It has plenty of room for expansion, and it's emphasis on the arts and (to a degree) sciences compliments UOIT very nicely.

The bar has already been raised and it would be exceptionally hard to lower it again. Think of all those people out there who already have degrees - those are the people new workers have to compete with when entering the workforce. You can't erase the past few decades that have seen a huge growth in the amount of people with post-secondary educations.

You can't erase the past but that does not mean we should continue to making the same mistakes either. We have pumped far too many liberal arts and science major who lack relevant job skills, wasting the resources of our education system and further eroding our economic competitiveness by having a workforce that's mismatched with potential employers. Now is the time to fix it. Instead of building a new university, let's put emphasis on our college system. Applied degrees will provide just as much opportunity to their holders as those with a BSc or BA.

Regardless of that fact, education is about more than preparing yourself for the workforce. It is about making a good and informed citizen. I see an education in any field as a good thing. It's all about bettering yourself, which in the end benefits society.

Nobody would disagree with that. But that does not erase the fact that our education systems should also produce good workers. If not, we'll all be starving in the decades to come.

It's quite fashionable to attack people with or pursuing liberal arts degrees because they're not really trained for a specific job - but they haven't spent 3-4 years doing nothing. They've learnt many things presented to them from many different angles - a repository of knowledge that they can draw upon when reading the news, going to the polls, watching a play, going to an art gallery, etc.

Those are all valuable efforts at self-development. Yet, the key question is, to what extent does that individual's development put us ahead as a society, after all we are heavily subsidizing his/her education for that reason.

Note that I am not attacking the value of a liberal arts education. Those grads are certainly needed in our society. I am arguing that our mix of graduates is screwed up. We don't produce enough applied degree graduates (from the college programs) and professional degree grads (engineering, business, etc). A big part of why we don't produce enough of these individuals is that governments have found it far cheaper to create a space for a BA than to spend the resources of 5 BA students to create one undergraduate engineering spot.

And many of your goals and experiences should be included in every university program. Indeed, my engineering program at Ryerson has a significant amount of breadth requirements (8 one semester courses)...enough to get a minor at most schools should they have been focused on one area. We should be promoting a liberal arts components for other programs to create more well rounded grads. We don't necessarily need to pump out more BAs for that.

I doubt Toronto's cultural renaissance could have happened without a substantial number of people with backgrounds in the liberal arts taking an interest in the cultural scene.

I disagree. While liberal arts grads may have helped a bit, our cultural renaissance has a lot to do with the fact that we have built an extremely diverse society in Toronto....and that has nothing to do with education. We can thank Citizenship and Immigration for that.

You're assuming that everyone who wants a liberal arts degree can afford to just go elsewhere, or that the programs they want to pursue will continue to be offered elsewhere.

I said few would go elsewhere. Hopefully, there will be a larger percentage who will choose from the programs that have been bolstered...at the college level.

Some people just don't want to be doctors, teachers, trades people, business people, or lawyers. There are a good deal of students in university now who probably would rather be in college or in an apprenticeship, but you should not use that as an excuse to clamp down on the liberal arts ruining it for the people who actually want to be there, and who will actually take something from it.

Again, should society then be subsidizing their efforts? When we need scientist, engineers, plumbers, electricians, mechanics, financiers does it make any sense that we pay billions into catering to 18 year old who just feel entitled to learning what they want? In any other part of the world, that suggestion would be considered crazy. Here in Canada, nobody even challenges the notion that an individual should not take the needs of society into account while developing his career prospects although his/her society is footing the bill.

Our society needs to ask itself where it would be without the liberal arts. They create critical thinkers. For example, a background in history allows one deeper insight into the present, a background in English literature allows one a deeper understanding of rhetoric, etc. They increase or country's competitiveness in many ways. For example, in the age of globalization, companies and governments need people who not only speak other languages but understand other cultures. There are many many examples I could give about how the arts are beneficial to our society in general.

Again, not disputing the value of a liberals arts education just the mix....a mix which has been created by the deliberate choices of our policy makers. Creating a new university campus just to pump out more BAs destined to work as data-entry clerks is one such decision.

Plus, the age of going through one post-secondary program is over for a lot of people. A lot of people go to both university and college, pursue post-graduate work, or pursue professional degrees. The best way to prepare people for the workforce might be to expand the amount of post-graduate college programs offered in Ontario. For example, if I have a degree in English literature, maybe I'd want to go do a one year program at a college to learn about the publishing industry, or editing, or PR, or creative writing, etc. More - not less - education is the key to making Ontario more attractive in an increasingly educated world.

That's exactly my point. Those are the programs we should be expanding ie. Seneca@York, Guelph-Humber, etc. Those are programs that impart a liberal education while imparting practical skills. Why should the government instead run-off and build a whole new campus for a liberal arts education? Worse still, it's supposed to be a no-frills campus. Can you guess what the educational experience and value will be of an individual who got a 'no frills' education?

I can understand the attack on the arts. They're unfortunately seen as pointless - interestingly a lot of the time by the same people who bemoan the lack of knowledge about history and spelling in our younger generations (these people then go on to unfairly blame immigration/the Internet more often than not).

I don't blame the arts, internet or immigration for the lack of historical knowlege and spelling in our youth. I blame the Ministry of Education and it's piss poor curriculum for K-12. We have serious problems in our education system if we are using BSc/BAs to impart proper spelling, grammar and basic history.

Force kids to go to colleges and companies will actually find that they have better trained and younger employees. There might be a few that go elsewhere for a university education. So be it. In large part, they probably will be the middle of the pack BA students that you see at most universities today. Developing the college and apprentice system will help us build a more productive society in the long run.

Regardless of that fact, education is about more than preparing yourself for the workforce. It is about making a good and informed citizen. I see an education in any field as a good thing. It's all about bettering yourself, which in the end benefits society. It's quite fashionable to attack people with or pursuing liberal arts degrees because they're not really trained for a specific job - but they haven't spent 3-4 years doing nothing. They've learnt many things presented to them from many different angles - a repository of knowledge that they can draw upon when reading the news, going to the polls, watching a play, going to an art gallery, etc. I doubt Toronto's cultural renaissance could have happened without a substantial number of people with backgrounds in the liberal arts taking an interest in the cultural scene.

are a good deal of students in university now who probably would rather be in college or in an apprenticeship, but you should not use that as an excuse to clamp down on the liberal arts ruining it for the people who actually want to be there, and who will actually take something from it.

Both very interesting points of view.

Those of us who completed undergrad degrees know that there are many students who attended university simply because they believed it was the thing to do. All too often, getting a BA is like a middle-class right of passage. Nevertheless, that does not mean that a liberal arts education is useless, irrelevant or a waste of time (or money).

I would not like to see liberal arts degrees curtailed, nor would I want to see people forced into colleges. What I would like to see is a generation of students coming to understand that both types of education have value and necessity. I know of a number of people who studies liberal arts in university, and who went on to professions in banking, marketing and public policy. I also know others who work in graphic arts, manufacturing and home-building. The latter took college programs after their university degrees; the former were recognized by virtue of their liberal arts education.

Both very interesting points of view.

Those of us who completed undergrad degrees know that there are many students who attended university simply because they believed it was the thing to do. All too often, getting a BA is like a middle-class right of passage. Nevertheless, that does not mean that a liberal arts education is useless, irrelevant or a waste of time (or money).

I would not like to see liberal arts degrees curtailed, nor would I want to see people forced into colleges. What I would like to see is a generation of students coming to understand that both types of education have value and necessity. I know of a number of people who studies liberal arts in university, and who went on to professions in banking, marketing and public policy. I also know others who work in graphic arts, manufacturing and home-building. The latter took college programs after their university degrees; the former were recognized by virtue of their liberal arts education.

I'll admit force was perhaps a harsh word.....

On this topic....

When you have lower admission standards, you'll tend to attract the students who aren't as academically inclined or capable. And when I see most liberal arts programs with admission standards that are markedly lower than most other programs I wonder about the type of student they are taking on. The reality is that we have a glut of Liberal Arts and Sciences undergraduate spots simply because the government does not want to make the difficult decision of raising standards and hence competition.

The worst part about the government's cowardice is that this hurts us economically. We don't produce enough professional grads compared to other developed countries. And we don't produce enough second tier (college) grads for our economy. There's proof of this. Lately, colleges have had far better job placement rates than universities. Meanwhile, university grads are left competing for a few generic entry level jobs.

I am not campaigning against a new liberal arts school because I abhor a liberal arts education. I am campaigning against expanding the number of liberal arts students, because it's not what we need. I have seen far too many friends go to university and take random degrees because they thought it seemed interesting or was a good idea at the time, only to be saddled with student loans and have no serious career prospects. Who wins in that situation? Yet, many of them would have been better off pursuing some kind of college or apprenticeship program, going into employment and pursuing their other academic interests down the line (applied degree, part-time degree, etc.). Unfortunately, we don't promote the other venues and don't invest in them either. So where's the incentive to go to college?

ps. What has been left out of this discussion is the need for more grad-school spots.....

I have to agree with kEiThZ. Having been to other countries that have opened up access to their universities in the name of equality (re: everyone should have a degree), I have observed 2 things.
1. All the universities in the country become worthless.
2. A new two-tiered system develops out of the garbage effectively recreating the 'elitist' barriers that the open access was supposed to destroy.
I see that happening in Canada. So far we have been lucky in that all our universities were regarded the same. Not anymore. Here in Ontario, UofT, Queen's and Western are becoming (or already are) the elite universities. Those who go to Lakehead or Brock or Nipissing will have just invested $25,000 in a piece of toliet paper.

As for a new university - I say Glendon College, which is in a lovely setting, become its own university. Escape from the ridiculousness that is York.

As for a new university - I say Glendon College, which is in a lovely setting, become its own university. Escape from the ridiculousness that is York.

I think it's a great idea and the school's bilingual, too. However, can Glendon "divorce" York?

Glendon is not a bad idea. Bit tucked away, though.

I would say the Portlands. Most of the transit infrastructure in this city is geared around travel to and from the core, so it would make most sense to locate a new low-cost commuter university where the best public transit is. I don't really think the core can be saturated, either.

For bonus points, use the Hearn power plant as something.

I would not like to see liberal arts degrees curtailed, nor would I want to see people forced into colleges. What I would like to see is a generation of students coming to understand that both types of education have value and necessity.

I agree completely.

The reality is that we have a glut of Liberal Arts and Sciences undergraduate spots simply because the government does not want to make the difficult decision of raising standards and hence competition.

The government hasn't been so keen to invest in the liberal arts lately. As far as I know, none of the federal government's stimulus is going to the arts - only to business, science, and professional programs. Schools across the country are expanding these programs and spending huge sums of money on new buildings for them while liberal arts facilities are falling apart. Here in Peterborough, Trent used to be a small primarily liberal arts school and worked well that way. Government cut backs to the arts and expansion programs for other programs completely changed the university and, many would argue, caused it's decline.

I am not campaigning against a new liberal arts school because I abhor a liberal arts education. I am campaigning against expanding the number of liberal arts students, because it's not what we need. I have seen far too many friends go to university and take random degrees because they thought it seemed interesting or was a good idea at the time, only to be saddled with student loans and have no serious career prospects. Who wins in that situation? Yet, many of them would have been better off pursuing some kind of college or apprenticeship program, going into employment and pursuing their other academic interests down the line (applied degree, part-time degree, etc.). Unfortunately, we don't promote the other venues and don't invest in them either. So where's the incentive to go to college?

ps. What has been left out of this discussion is the need for more grad-school spots.....

Who's saying a new university would be a liberal arts school? The last university built in Ontario (I'm not counting Algoma as a new university here) isn't a liberal arts school at all. We might just get another UOIT.

As for people who choose "random" degrees that seem good at the time, well they should be presented with all the options. You should only be in the liberal arts if that's where you want to be, not by default.

I think a lot of these problems could have been avoided or more easily mitigated had OAC not been eliminated. You now have people applying to university when they're 17 years old, and far too easily swayed by their parents/peers. First year has taken over OAC's role, and honours degrees have become the standard. Maybe a distinction should be made between students who have completed a four year program and students who have completed a four year program with good grades.

I think that a new university that focuses on the new green economy would be the most worthwhile. There are so many aspects of this new economy, and our current universities and colleges can't cope with that. A school that offers programs in green agriculture, green business, environmental politics and science, etc. would draw in a lot of students and train people for where our society needs to go.

Back