News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I would like to see some red. It's hard not to think of Toronto as a red city when the Canadian flag is everywhere, and TTC signs, buses, and streetcars are all red - not to mention all the red brick.

The new design is stylish to an extent, but it could really be a seattle or vancouver website. It's really surprising that no attempts were made to fit the design to the city (yeah, I know, gray and glass boxes are also our reality?).

I was no fan of the fisher price design previously used here (and provided comments on why), but light blue text on a light grey background? Someone needs to go back to design school.

The light blue is quite OK on my iMac Core i7 which has a decent screen in terms of colour contrast. But it's quite poor on my iBook which has a low contrast screen.

The forum width is a big issue on that iBook, too. Very, very annoying to use on a 1024x768 laptop screen. Even maximized, there is a horizontal scroll bar, because the forum page is far too wide:

UrbantorontoNewFormat.png

On the iPad, the browser automatically shrinks the page to fit its limited screen size. Unfortunately, this means the screen fonts are very small and harder to read than before. Furthermore, on a 1280x1024 screen like I have at work, the forum is still too wide to fit well on the screen unless I maximize the browser.

Does your designer run a 24" or 27" screen or something? Cuz it's fine on my 1080p screens, and it's even better on my 27" iMac screen which has a resolution of 2560x1440. However, I would still recommend formatting the forum width to allow normal functionality with a horizontal resolution of 1024 pixels, to maintain compatibility with older machines.

Last edited:
I will say this, those ads with Leigh Gibson and Caroline Sin (oh my, what a perfect name) are certainly two pluses that stand out....

The light blue has to go - it makes it difficult to differentiate between the read and unread threads.

I thought this went without saying ... but people have been saying this now for days with no change! So I'll say it too.

Am I the only one not having problems with the light blue font? It's not like post contents are being written in the blue.

Ed, the site is looking good. You may recall that I run a hosting company since 2003 (dedicated servers, cloud etc), and I've never submitted a donation to UT, even though I've been using it for about a decade. We've got a bit of server hardware sitting around thanks to a large order from our supplier. Not sure what your current arrangement is (Rackspace?) as for pricing or server resources, but hit me up if I can throw a machine or two online for UT.

I think the light blue font only looks bad on some monitors (there are a lot of bad panels out there) -- I don't mind it at all on my MacBook Pro.

I like the design a lot better, though I miss my front page "What's New?" button.

Everything else is impressive. Also impressive? That Eug still has a working iBook.

I have a pretty good screen but I still have difficulty with the light blue font. I strain to read the topics and it's nearly impossible to differentiate read/unread threads.

I have a widescreen so horizontal scrolling isn't an issue for me, but it's common sense to use a standard width, or at least a percentage value.

In fairness, the logo says "BETA" so this is still a work in progress that I'm sure will be refined.

I like the last look better. Clean looking, easy to read colour fonts. The ad's didn't junk up the front page like they do now. As metroman pointed out this just a beta.

Seriously... still no font colour fix? It's like a 2 minute job.

Not to mention the horrible horizontal scrolling....

If you want to get rid of the horizontal scrolling just select the "Mobile" view at the bottom of the page to use on your computer.

Back