News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I know not everyone here loves Janz, but I believe he was pretty instrumental in landing a lot of these visits.

I think it’s very smart to bringing in these sorts of creators. I still think we should be doing more to create content about our city. Getting strong reels and TikTok’s of our skyline, reviews of our restaurants and hotels, city visits, moving FAQs, etc.

These things really do move the needle and I would argue are the generational change from the more traditional explore Edmonton type promotional work (which is still needed and great). But I sure hope we have people at the city/EE building strategy around digital creators, not just large event attraction.

Great video and comments. Some interesting perspectives, too.

Screenshot_20240304-084036_YouTube.jpg

Edmonton finally getting its flowers.

Really well done video. I like the point about housing market elasticity, even if ours is partly driven by sprawl and the ability to more easily ramp or ramp down supply of single family homes in subdivisions. Higher density is more difficult to moderate supply.

Don Iveson mentioned this report was coming out at the recent Winter Cycling Congress.

He is co-chair of the National Task Force on Housing and Climate - the group that released these recommendations. You could say in several ways he is 'Edmontonizing' the rest of the country.

Last edited:
Don Iveson mentioned this report was coming out at the recent Winter Cycling Congress.

He is co-chair of National Task Force on Housing and Climate - the group that released these recommendations. You could say in several ways he is 'Edmontonizing' the rest of the country.

"Municipal governments are urged to take 40 actions, including legalizing density by fully abolishing parking minimums, eliminating unit maximums, establishing ambitious density rules near transit, and streamlining approval processes.

Provinces are urged to take 50 actions, including supporting municipal governments with pro-density reforms while overriding counteractive policies, investing in factory-built housing, and adopting the highest tiers of Canada's National Model Building Code to improve energy efficiency – a commitment only made by British Columbia to date."

Iveson was on CBC talking about these recommendations and highlighted that Edmonton is well equipped to build this modular, factory built housing given the city's industry experience.

"Municipal governments are urged to take 40 actions, including legalizing density by fully abolishing parking minimums, eliminating unit maximums, establishing ambitious density rules near transit, and streamlining approval processes.

Provinces are urged to take 50 actions, including supporting municipal governments with pro-density reforms while overriding counteractive policies, investing in factory-built housing, and adopting the highest tiers of Canada's National Model Building Code to improve energy efficiency – a commitment only made by British Columbia to date."

Iveson was on CBC talking about these recommendations and highlighted that Edmonton is well equipped to build this modular, factory built housing given the city's industry experience.
Man I would be stoked if Edmonton was the one responsible building our version of Khruschevka's, that'd be fitting. The often overlooked character saving the day for the rest of the team.

What's also very interesting is the task force's recommendation that the federal government tie all future housing AND transit funding to whether or not provinces and cities meet the housing policy actions listed.

Watched the video by “Oh the Urbanity” and despite being a regular forum visitor, I was shocked by all the before/after footage. The density really just creeped in there without much stir, and that was pre-zoning bylaw. Fits with the recurrent theme in Edmonton of keeping things on the low and having to look closer to find the gems.

Watched the video by “Oh the Urbanity” and despite being a regular forum visitor, I was shocked by all the before/after footage. The density really just creeped in there without much stir, and that was pre-zoning bylaw. Fits with the recurrent theme in Edmonton of keeping things on the low and having to look closer to find the gems.
Yeah there's a significant chunk of infill in the neighbourhoods inside the Whitemud/Yellowhead circle. Driving around I'm constantly surprised by the skinnies/duplexes/detached with garage suites and rowhomes just suddenly popping up in these areas.

There's going to come to a point where all these tiny little steps finally coalesce and it's going to be a welcome shock for many of us at the density that's being built, since it'll reach a critical mass that's noticeable.

Still won't stop some people scoffing down at us (like Oh the Urbanity mentioned when they brought up Edmonton to others), but that'll be a huge wake up call for them to ignore the developments here at their own peril. I mean if we can do it, there's no reason why other Canadian cities can't.

What a nightmare in Cowgary. See how that creeper Chu councillor supports it? Anyone who votes with him is on the wrong side of politics.

Back