News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

‘I’m a stranger in my own city’: Prague takes on Airbnb to dam flood of tourists

Joining a battle already being waged by many other cities, the Czech capital’s mayor wants new laws to limit the lettings website

Robert Tait
Sat 1 Feb 2020 16.04 GMT

Spain abandoning the poor despite economic recovery, says UN envoy

Special rapporteur says urgent action is needed to tackle ‘appallingly high’ poverty rates

Sam Jones in Madrid
Fri 7 Feb 2020 11.48 GMT

After Germany's far-right scandal, Left party surges as Merkel's CDU sinks

After being accused of colluding with the far-right AfD in the eastern state of Thuringia, approval of Merkel's party has taken a nosedive in the region. The Left party, however, has enjoyed a groundswell of support.

After Germany's far-right scandal, Left party surges as Merkel's CDU sinks

After being accused of colluding with the far-right AfD in the eastern state of Thuringia, approval of Merkel's party has taken a nosedive in the region. The Left party, however, has enjoyed a groundswell of support.

It's fine.....the Stasi still don't have the spyware capabilities of Google, FB, et al. Let them try and come back. ;)

German economy stagnates in sign of Europe's difficulties

DAVID McHUGH
Associated Press February 14, 2020, 4:02 AM EST

FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) — Growth ground to a halt at the end of the year in Germany, Europe’s largest economy, as manufacturing remained in a slump and exports fell, official figures showed Friday.

The flat reading underlines the challenge facing the broader eurozone economy as it struggles against headwinds from the U.S-China trade dispute and Britain's departure from the European Union.

Both the German and eurozone figures were the weakest since 2013, when the region was suffering from a debt crisis that nearly spelled the end of the euro currency.

I think Germany will become more insular in the future...

Think its people getting tired of trying to lead the EU.

German economy stagnates in sign of Europe's difficulties

DAVID McHUGH
Associated Press February 14, 2020, 4:02 AM EST

FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) — Growth ground to a halt at the end of the year in Germany, Europe’s largest economy, as manufacturing remained in a slump and exports fell, official figures showed Friday.

The flat reading underlines the challenge facing the broader eurozone economy as it struggles against headwinds from the U.S-China trade dispute and Britain's departure from the European Union.

Both the German and eurozone figures were the weakest since 2013, when the region was suffering from a debt crisis that nearly spelled the end of the euro currency.

I think they'd help themselves if companies like Mercedes allowed ALL their models to be sold here!!!! Goddammit!!!

Not bitter at all about the fact that my Merc comes in like 50 variations but is only available in two here.

‘Fighting like ferrets in a bag’ as EU tries to plug Brexit cash hole

UK’s withdrawal has left £62bn hole in bloc’s purse for the next seven years

Daniel Boffey
Sun 16 Feb 2020 07.44 GMT

Good....they can stop throwing money at all manner of subsidy...especially to countries that don't need it....I'm looking at you Czecho-Slovakia!

Good....they can stop throwing money at all manner of subsidy...especially to countries that don't need it....I'm looking at you Czecho-Slovakia!

In some cases though it has been useful. Hungary for example EU funds are consistently used to rebuild their infrastructure which has been crumbling since WW2 in some cases. I do agree that better off countries do not need EU subsidies.

In some cases though it has been useful. Hungary for example EU funds are consistently used to rebuild their infrastructure which has been crumbling since WW2 in some cases. I do agree that better off countries do not need EU subsidies.

I've never been to Hungary (partly because it's like the one European language, along with its cousins Finnish and Estonian that I couldn't possibly get by with) so I don't know what things are like there but Czechs have a standard of living comparable to ours (and the Slovaks are only nominally behind, I'd say) but with better train service! yo...we should be getting EU funds to build up a proper train system in Canada! :p

In any case, they don't need various subsidies anymore. A lot of the money goes to complete bullshit pet projects. Kind of like how money for "infrastructure" gets doled out in Canada, come to think of it.

Hold on....Hungary can't be that bad.....I mean, Bulgaria and Romania getting subsidies for infrastructure makes sense and maybe Croatia if it's looking a little shell-shocked still but central Europe is doing alright.

A 43-year-old German man shot and killed nine people at several locations in a Frankfurt suburb overnight in attacks that appear to have been motivated by far-right beliefs, officials said Thursday.

The gunman first attacked a hookah bar in central Hanau at about 10 p.m. local time Wednesday, killing several people, before heading about 2.5 kilometres west and opening fire again, claiming more victims.

Hookah lounges are places where people gather to smoke flavoured tobacco from Middle Eastern water pipes, and some of the victims appeared to be Turkish.

Witnesses and surveillance videos of the suspect's getaway car led authorities quickly to his home, near the scene of the second attack, where he was found dead near the body of his 72-year-old mother, said Peter Beuth, the interior minister for the state of Hesse.

Both the suspect and his mother had gunshot wounds, and the weapon was found on the suspect, Beuth said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/9-killed-in-suspected-far-right-attack-in-germany-1.5469507

Germany and right-wing extremism: The new dimension of terror

Officials have said a deadly shooting was the result of deep-seated racism, which the suspected perpetrator had posted about online. The attack came hours after the German government approved an online hate speech bill.

Governments should do more to combat right-wing terrorism (since right-wing terrorism is now a greater threat than both Islamic terrorism and left-wing terrorism combined in the Global North, contrary to what certain politicians say).

Back