News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

"Ford would see how much money it would cost to break the streetcar contract" - wow. he actually said it.

Filip, I bet you are creaming your pants.

And if he can't break it, he is thinking selling it to another city (?)

sounds like a serious debacle-in-the-making

others:

Improving the waterfront would take a back seat under a Ford mayorality. "We can't afford it," the candidate said.

However the plastic bag tax may stay:

Q: Why won't you abolish the bag tax? A: "We might ...it is good for the environment, but I don't like where the money is being [sent].

where does he want it sent?

Last edited:
The 'bag tax' thing is insane. If a guy who's been on council for ten years doesn't understand that currently the 5 cent bag fee is sent nowhere (it stays with the business) then what the hell has he been doing?

Unless he's advocating that we should take the five cents from business and use it for city services. But somehow that seems unlikely.

That would be the equivelent of calling Harper the Obama of Canada... except more left leaning than Barack...
Surely Harper is more left leaning than Obama; he's pretty right-wing. Even Harper hasn't done the anti-gay stuff Obama has done in office. Obama doesn't support Canadian-style medicare. I'd never support Harper, but don't mistake Obama for left-leaning.

Surely Harper is more left leaning than Obama; he's pretty right-wing. Even Harper hasn't done the anti-gay stuff Obama has done in office. Obama doesn't support Canadian-style medicare. I'd never support Harper, but don't mistake Obama for left-leaning.

Actually, you touched upon an interesting (albeit off topic) point - who is more right-wing, Rob Ford or Stephen Harper? Let's leave Obama out of it since we're all Canucks here.

Isn't it a provincial tax anyway? Are he and Dalton best buds now and they're going to work something out?

The bag tax? No. You get free bags in Markham. The T&T there actually gives out bio-degradable bags, which is ironically banned in Toronto.

The bag tax? No. You get free bags in Markham. The T&T there actually gives out bio-degradable bags, which is ironically banned in Toronto.
I guess it's because I've paid for bags in other parts of the province -- lots of the big retailers went province-wide, figuring they'd have to eventually I guess. There's a voluntary provincial plastic bag reduction strategy, and from what I have seen at the store level, it's working. Trust someone like Ford to want to go after something like that ... for what purpose I don't know.

Hypothetical polling is meaningless. It's easy to "run" from some background oasis without having to expose one's warts in public.

I have no doubt that a post-Ford mayor would be one of the best Toronto has ever had.
No doubt some Germans thought the guy after von Hindenburg would be one of the best German leaders ever!

Scarborough, North York, and Etobicoke still have several decades of maturing and densifying to undergo before they are more in line with the real Toronto, and the city's politics should reflect that.
Shout it out loud brother -- all Torontonians are equal, but some are more equal than others!

And when will "real Toronto" give the okay for "phony Toronto" to be on an equal footing?

It's still far too early to call this race, notably Ford and Pantalone have not started their advertising campaigns. Commercials do have a huge effect, especially at the municipal level where most people do not have long held preferences.

If you want an alternative to Ford presented to voters, my suggestion is that you donate to his opponents. Especially Joe Pantalone. I might be biased as a Joe partisan, but he's running on a positive, city-building platform, and with his advertising will be directly standing up to Ford. I also know that any money Joe raises from now on is going directly into media.

The city has a very generous rebate program. If you donate $300 you get $225 back. Three hundred can buy a couple television commercials, some radio spots, or thousands of flyers, and it only costs you $75. Sacrificing 75 bucks isn't much if it helps prevent Ford.

You can donate to Joe at mayorjoe.ca
I call bullshit on this post. This forum shouldn't be used as a platform to explicitly solicit political contributions, and this post crosses the line in my opinion.

I think we can all figure out how to give financial support to a candidate if we're so inclined.

I guess it's because I've paid for bags in other parts of the province -- lots of the big retailers went province-wide, figuring they'd have to eventually I guess. There's a voluntary provincial plastic bag reduction strategy, and from what I have seen at the store level, it's working. Trust someone like Ford to want to go after something like that ... for what purpose I don't know.

Actually, it's not working at all. Because I need plastic bags to throw out garbage anyway. So instead of free ones, I am forced to buy them now. In the mean time, store efficiency drops since every time they have to ask me, do you want a bag? How many do you need? And then punch the numbers in. Of course, the province want another 8% (13% now?)on top of the 5 cents.

I call bullshit on this post. This forum shouldn't be used as a platform to explicitly solicit political contributions, and this post crosses the line in my opinion.

I think we can all figure out how to give financial support to a candidate if we're so inclined.

I disagree. I think it's a great post. "The city has a very generous rebate program. If you donate $300 you get $225 back. " What? And they say we don't have a spending problem?

Back