News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

David Miller to officially endorse Joe Pantalone

Joe's (not so) secret weapon will be unleashed tomorrow, Wednesday @ 11am.

They've been holding off on this for a while but this could potentially throw Joe into 2nd place. This is the best PR possible. Miller continues to be popular and when he endorses a candidate, his would be voters will follow his lead.

Joe's (not so) secret weapon will be unleashed tomorrow, Wednesday @ 11am.

They've been holding off on this for a while but this could potentially throw Joe into 2nd place. This is the best PR possible. Miller continues to be popular and when he endorses a candidate, his would be voters will follow his lead.

Not that I disagree, but as devil's advocate, isn't Miller's un-popularity the reason Smitherman and Pants are battling for 2nd? The city may actually be best served by him backing Ford...scare some of his supporters away. Plus it would be funny as hell.

^ A poll showed that if Miller were running, he'd win by a landslide. People underestimate his popularity because the negative opposition is very vocal in the comments section in the media. I'm convinced this will give Joe a boost. Will it be enough to rally people behind him as the anti-Ford leader? I'm not quite so sure. Smitherman has that down right now.

Nonetheless, Miller's endorsement will make Sarah Thomson's look like a buried newspaper article. This is THE endorsement of the campaign.

Firstly, I don't think that endorsement means much. He is currently the deputy to Miler and is essentially running on Miller's platform, who else would Miller have endorsed? Everyone knows, endorsement or not, that Miller and Pantalone's ideologies are very similar. Are the undecideds suddenly going to line up behind the only left-wing candidate, because they couldn't figure out for themselves that the left-wing mayor supports him? More like THE most obvious endorsement of the campaign.

Secondly, even if the endorsement does make an impact, this is not good news for the anti-Ford movement. I don't want to see a fragmented left/centrist group splitting 40-50% of the vote between two candidates. Smitherman is the only candidate that can challenge Ford, thinking otherwise is a pipe dream.

^ I agree, and that's why I'm planning on voting for Smitherman. Nonetheless, my first choice is Pantalone and if this causes the tide to turn in his favour, I welcome it.

The fact of the matter is that the anti-Ford crowd will vote for Ford's challenger, regardless if that's Smitherman or Joe. Whoever manages to get in to second place on the last week of the campaign will gain those votes.

There's an anti-Ford movement but there is also an anti-Smitherman movement related to his eHealth problems and other Ministry of Health issues. There is no anti-JoePantalone movement, only the anti-Millerites who will vote for Rob Ford regardless.

Anti-Smitherman voters aren't likely to be voting for anyone other than Ford anyways. Joe Mihevc just endorsed Smitherman today. More progressives need to do the same...

Good for Mihevc. Like I said, I would too at this point though I am still holding on to some hope that Joe could get a last minute boost. All he needs is to show that he can beat Ford and many of Smitherman's votes will fall into Joe's lap.

Nonetheless, Pants will dominate the news cycle for all of tomorrow and possibly all week if Miller's endorsement prompts other progressives to do the same.

UD is 100% correct with everything he said.

Miller lovers / supporters will already be voting for someone other then Ford ... and I doubt this will cause them to switch from say smitherman to Pants (not in great numbers).
For anyone undecided - this may push them torward Ford.

At the very least he didn't support smitherman as that might have been a sure thing for Ford to win.

I can't believe this site is advertising for Rob Ford, since practically everyone on here believes Ford will be a disaster for this city if he becomes mayor. Come on guys, you have to have some kind of principles.

You must be referring to the Google Ads. UT has no control over that. AdWords matches up related topics to ads.

You mean the Toronto Star's news? Who cares?

The Star doesn't matter--it's the idiot paper, along with the Sun; the CTV and CityTV of the printed world....

Wow, that's rather harsh. I quite like the Star. To compare it to the Sun (which is absolute trash) is a bit of a long shot.

On a more relevant note, the Miller endorsement is hardly a surprise. Pantalone is Miller-lite after all. I don't think you'll see hordes of lefties suddenly supporting Joe. The rational leftie should still support Smitherman (or whoever the 2nd placed candidate is).

^ 2 of my friends are sticking to their guns and voting for the candidate they support. One of them is a judge, the other is a respected high school teacher. I'd qualify them as rational.

You must be referring to the Google Ads. UT has no control over that. AdWords matches up related topics to ads.

Oh, OK. The ad appeared at the top of the page, so I figured Ford was paying UT for the space. The last thing I want to see is more of Ford's BS. I'm so sick of that guy and his hypocrisy.

Back