News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

So basically what we expected: If Pants stays in, Ford becomes Mayor. I can't imagine him pulling out now. He's not going to triple his numbers in a week but even the smallest increase will keep him in.

No, the undecideds and a good portion of the Pants crowd will vote for Smitherman as the 'anyone-but-ford' alternative. Whether Pants stays in or not, now, is irrelevent.

They certainly aren't reflecting it in the polls. I know many Pants voters who will vote on principle and won't budge. It sucks but it's reality.

My, i just heard that Pantalone should drop off so Smitherman can accumulate the votes he needs to overtake Ford, how desperate.:rolleyes: I just cant believe that alll of a sudden the lefties are marching to the centre right.. lol lol

It wasn't sudden. Where have you been these last few months? This has been happening since Ford joined the race. People are flocking to the leftmost candidate that has a chance of winning.

I’m seeing a distressing number of Ford bumper stickers on working class folk type cars and super high end cars in Etobicoke. They don't realise they're voting to hurt themselves. I never get how working class angst is so readily capitalised by the tea party types.

Probably because they lack a classical liberal arts education, they're unable to see through the smoke and mirrors that the tea party types like to use.

It wasn't sudden. Where have you been these last few months? This has been happening since Ford joined the race. People are flocking to the leftmost candidate that has a chance of winning.

I’m seeing a distressing number of Ford bumper stickers on working class folk type cars and super high end cars in Etobicoke. They don't realise they're voting to hurt themselves. I never get how working class angst is so readily capitalised by the tea party types.

Have the polls accurately (And I use that word loosely) reflected the breadth of opinion of Old Toronto (downtown) vs bouroughs? I don't buy it. They're only slightly telling. There are more anti-ford ppl than there are pro, and in the end, they'll all line up for Smitherman.

Today's poll says exactly what the one earlier this week did: things are very very close, will remain very very close and we'll be waiting a long time on election night for anyone to call it.

Just about the only thing that could shake things up would be Pantalone dropping out, and I don't see that happening. For all the good in the guy, he can be really petty. He's been holding this grudge against Smitherman and the provincial Liberals for a long time now.

Have the polls accurately (And I use that word loosely) reflected the breadth of opinion of Old Toronto (downtown) vs bouroughs? I don't buy it. They're only slightly telling. There are more anti-ford ppl than there are pro, and in the end, they'll all line up for Smitherman.

I wish this were true but looking from inside Team Pants, a lot of them will still vote for him. Not everybody is comfortable voting strategically. Let's not forget that Barbara Hall still got 9% in 2003. If Joe ends up with around 10% and Ford takes Rossi's numbers (as it appears he did) then Ford wins. Half of Joe's supporters need to jump to George for him to win.

What has happened is that Rossi was Ford's Ralph Nadar and Pants is George's. Rossi is no longer holding on to Ford's reluctant supporters but Pants is holding on to Smitherman's.

More bad news is that many Joe supporters have already voted in the advance polls. With double the previous election's advance voters already casting their ballots in a point in time when Ford was ahead, it's going to be an uphill battle for Smitherman.

I can't see Joe quitting now. No way. The only saving grace is if Miller convinces him to... Or maybe Jack Layton. One of his big endorsers need to come out and tell the Pants crowd that the party is over and they need to stop Ford.

By the way, where's Barbara Hall in all this? Isn't she viewed approvingly by Torontonians? Would a coalition of former Mayors help? A united Eggleton + Hall + Crombie team could be very convincing. Heck, if Lastman came out against Ford, that might help dampen Ford's support in North York.

Would a coalition of former Mayors help? A united Eggleton + Hall + Crombie team could be very convincing. Heck, if Lastman came out against Ford, that might help dampen Ford's support in North York.

Hey, we are in 2010.....Gilimour + Tucker + Domi and having Sundin come out of retirement to join the leafs....I dont think so.

We are now getting to the time when the various journals will weigh in with their opinions (sorry for the poor pun).

I note that in the Globe, Marcus Gee indicated that he considers Ford "manifestly unfit for the job". While Gee is not the Globe's editorial board, I still expect the Globe to endorse Smitherman. The Star, I expect, will also endorse Smitherman. As for the other rags, well, heaven knows.

I openly wonder what sway the journals will have at this time? It would take some powerful writing to change the minds out there. Will the Globe & Mail or The Star take the time to remind readers of Ford's massive failings? I sure hope so. That's all the hope we have left.

Just in passing, I've contacted Smitherman's office many times for a lawn sign and none has been provided.

It's time to call it a day, Joe Pantalone.

This HAS to be the most exciting election I've ever lived through! (Ok, I'm only 21, but still!) Wow. It's like a wild drama unfolding right before our eyes. And these endorsements are kicking things up a notch! I'd love to see other big names jump here, as some have suggested (ie. Barbara Hall, John Tory, etc.)

I wish Joe would just disappear!

TonyV and bigtony: unfortunately he will not quit. I've seen from the inside of his campaign: Joe Pantalone will not quit under any circumstances. Regardless, even if he did, it would do little good. The people who are planning to vote for him, still would. He's been completely crystal clear in his attacks against Smitherman over the past week. He can't just turn around and support him.

We can only hope that Joe's support begins to drop over the next poll. If it does, then some of the supporters sitting on the fence will jump to Smitherman. If it continues to grow, those same people will have hope that he might win and cast their votes for him.

Back