News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Did anyone see Saundercook losing?

Yes. Sarah was the only candidate to knock on doors in all my area high rises--over 3000 units in the High Park area. That is very impressive and I got to meet her (even though she woke me up too early in the morning knocking on my door.) That impressed me so much that to balance out the right wing (RF) I voted for her.

Last edited:
Many people have the perception that Toronto is a liberal, tolerant city. And now I simply do not believe this to be true. Rob Ford was a naked bigot and an anti-intellectual. And yet he won by a wide margin.

Who is Rob Ford's base? He's alienated immigrants with his comments, so I find it hard to believe he got the vote of the inner suburbs. He's clearly anti-urban so I doubt the people living within the old city of Toronto voted for him.
Anti-urban? He lives in the 416, so you gotta figure he ain't completely anti-urban. ;)

And I still say that it's likely a lot of the core also voted for him. I'd be surprised if it was a complete downtown vs. inner 'burbs schism. We'll see the breakdown tomorrow. (Or tonite?)

Many people have the perception that Toronto is a liberal, tolerant city. And now I simply do not believe this to be true. Rob Ford was a naked bigot and an anti-intellectual. And yet he won by a wide margin.

Who is Rob Ford's base? He's alienated immigrants with his comments, so I find it hard to believe he got the vote of the inner suburbs. He's clearly anti-urban so I doubt the people living within the old city of Toronto voted for him.

It's not rocket science: he tapped into post-recession fears and anger and got his angry army to come out and vote for him.

George, on the other hand, ran an absolutely terrible, completely unfocussed campaign. He never set the agenda, grabbed headlines, or made announcements that got people fired up and excited about voting for him. Lo and behold, his supporters weren't motivated to go out and vote for him on e-day.

It's doubtful that the polls were very wrong: Rob simply got out his vote and George didn't.

So the anti-gay, anti-investment, anti-intellectual, anti-"foreigner", anti-urbane and anti-social vote got through. How incredibly depressing - to know we're being edged into being less citizens now, than something called 'customers'.

Actually, given that we're discussing this in Urban Toronto--a context that deals a lot in aesthetic, design, and planning issues: let's get to the nub: it's the philistine vote. It's those merchants in and undiscriminating clients of gross McMansion teardowns, alterations, main-street EIFS-ifications (or condoners of the same in the name of "free will") saying: "we're all right, Jack".

And, hate to say it...but that can't exactly be painted as a holus bolus "white trash redneck" market. Indeed, more often than not, the perpetrators/clients are the, uh, "multikultis", if I may use that Angela Merkel-ism--and they're an ironic secret foundation of Ford's support, I suspect (as that last-poll implication of a massive Ford advantage among immigrants indicates).

But of course, it's a "loaded" issue to knock them for their urban/suburban philistinism. And given this, I suspect what the Fordites would love to do is to "break" the urban left until they can be framed as the ugly/bigoted ones, a Hogtown version of, say, Pim Fortuyn or Geert Wilders seeking to banish those "degraded" cultures who disagree with homosexuality or other snotty Western-liberal idee fixes.

The true "white trash", according to Ford's "grand coalition". Tim Horton's rools, Manic drools.

I dont find too many people who support Rob Ford that really liked his character. People might recognize him from his penny pinching schtick and feel this is evidence of his true character. This is really a protest vote against the over-powerful left that ran the city. The unions had been able to become very entrenched in the political process and (whether accurate or not) when people who struggle everyday to get by in the private sector see the benefits and job security that the city gives out - they are offended and angry. I think this citizen protest is closely related to the TTC backlash we saw over the summer. I am not a fan of Rob Ford and think he will be pretty inefectual at best and a total embarrasment at worst - but I can also empathize with the general sentiment that this city is not being run with a mind to maximising the productivity of the taxes the city takes from its citizens.

Last I heard he had at least half of immigrants supporting him. I think the idea that he's offended immigrants is more white guilt then actual offense.

I guess all those immigrants that voted for Ford are self-hating and racist towards themselves! Either that or a tenuous grasp of English has led them to confuse the 'gravy train' with a new mode of mass transit.

It's not rocket science: he tapped into post-recession fears and anger and got his angry army to come out and vote for him.

George, on the other hand, ran an absolutely terrible, completely unfocussed campaign. He never set the agenda, grabbed headlines, or made announcements that got people fired up and excited about voting for him. Lo and behold, his supporters weren't motivated to go out and vote for him on e-day.

It's doubtful that the polls were very wrong: Rob simply got out his vote and George didn't.

There's simply no excuse for this. I don't care how bad times have been on Toronto, Rob Ford had NOTHING going for him. His platform was simple, he had no vision, his arguments defied basic logic, his image had been tarnished by the media, his personality is disgraceful. Even the US had the sense not to let an idiot hold public office (Sarah Palin).

Last I heard he had at least half of immigrants supporting him. I think the idea that he's offended immigrants is more white guilt then actual offense.
This is probably true. I read on City News today that many Indian immigrants opposed Smitherman because he was married to a man, and therefore thought Ford was the better choice. The irony is Rob Ford doesn't exactly sympathize with immigrant, as we all know.

As usual, adma offends to the max. I'm sure a lot of so-called closet rednecks would be happy to see someone like him out of city council. Good riddance.

yup... notice the tamil guys who put the garlands over doug and rob while they were on stage... and then the whole radio ad thing... that's just one community, i'm pretty sure the other communities bought into the whole "gravy train" thing too

His core message, though, was "it's your money and I won't waste it and I won't let other people waste it" resonates with anyone, though, that works for a living, pays taxes and thinks they do too much of both (work and pay taxes)......it really was a genius message in its simplicity and while the other candidates spent half the year attacking him they were strengthening his position with the every-day man electorate....regardless of where they live.

His core message, though, was "it's your money and I won't waste it and I won't let other people waste it" resonates with anyone, though, that works for a living, pays taxes and thinks they do too much of both (work and pay taxes)......it really was a genius message in its simplicity and while the other candidates spent half the year attacking him they were strengthening his position with the every-day man electorate....regardless of where they live.
Exactly. I've been surprised over and over just how much this has fallen on deaf ears at City Hall… and on this board. People were sick of the waste but Miller supporters just didn't get it.

However, I too underestimated the power of this. I had thought a strong showing by Ford would provide a wake up call to the bureaucrats, not that Ford would become the head bureaucrat there.

Bingo.

Back