News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It's still very early, and I'm surprised by how active this race has been so far.

I think we will see even more about this election when
1. There are more candidates, and yes more are coming.
2. Pacing begins to speed up, almost 10 months is a long interview.
3. Platforms are more developed.
4. Most of the homework has been done.

George Smitherman still has a temporary website up, and that's no dig at him, I haven't even put my site up yet.

This will probably be one of the most interesting election years we've seen in a long time, which should be a benefit for all us that live/work/visit Toronto.

Last edited:
Well the figures I cited come from Statistics Canada and the City of Toronto, so they're about as reliable as you're going to get. I'm not sure where you got that 50,000 new residents in one year but it sounds way out of line.

From a political standpoint, all of this is beside the point. Even if the downtown population increased to 169,000 and even if it goes up above 200,000, there are 1.5 million people living in Scarborough, North York and Etobicoke right now. If you don't win there, you're not going to win the mayoralty

The Toronto Star article is also wrong, not just the 50,000 number...

Toronto Star said:
Still, downtown growth was dramatic: 17,000 housing units were built in the area between 2001 and 2006. The downtown population stood at nearly 169,000 last year, up from 102,000 five years earlier.

According to city documents the population is up from 144,500 in 1996 to 169,000 in 2006. There was a 10% increase between 2001 and 2006. I imagine it should be up around 10% again, so the new census should show around 16,000 to 20,000 new residents when it comes out next year.

From a political standpoint the study also shows that most people are moving into the new buildings downtown from within it or 5km around downtown. So not likely that there will be a massive shift in the urban versus suburb relationship. Most of the new residents seem to be downsizing or moving out of there parents place and if they grew up or lived close to downtown they are choosing to move right into it.

For a look at the data the study is here:

http://www.toronto.ca/planning/living_downtown.htm

Rob Ford is saying he's been hearing from the grapevine that Miller's backers are urging the Mayor to run and he's considering it.

I think the announcement is either that he's running, he's leaving office early to accept a job or he's introducing a candidate (to replace Giambrone) that he's backing. Any other big announcement (policy/funding) would have leaked by now. It has to be an individual decision kept until now by Miller and the people closest to him.

EDIT: Adam Vaughan is speculating that it's going to be regarding work he's been doing that will allow for a very important decision. While I don't want to write this off completely, I think Vaughan is thinking too highly of himself here... If it were about Vaughan's work, he would certainly know for sure and would probably be invited to stand by the Mayor at the press conference.

Last edited:
Well, that was lame.

It was funny listening to the radio announcer's commentary. You could definitely hear the WTF-ness in his voice.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/777668--miller-announces-city-budget-surplus?bn=1

Miller announces city budget surplus

Lesley Ciarula Taylor
Staff Reporter
Mayor David Miller announced an upbeat and ambitious financial plan for the city Wednesday, pledging to reduce the property tax increase and deal with a proposed increase in user fees.

Miller, who had given no hint of what he would speak about at the morning news conference, said there would be a surplus in the city budget that would be $100 million higher than expected.

With that to draw on, he said there would be a two-year budget plan – although he is leaving office this year after the Oct. 25 municipal election.

News of Miller’s “important announcement” had fuelled speculation that ranged from him leaving office early, all the way to a shock bid for re-election.

There was also speculation it could simply be an announcement about a city initiative.

Last September, Miller announced that he would not run for re-election, citing a need for more time with his family. After two terms as mayor, it was expected he would find a prestigious appointment in the environmental field, one of his passions.

Well, i caught parts of it on internet radio... but the propoganda machine is at full speed?

Surplus? lol

'That's allowed for a decrease in property taxes by 1.1 % this year... but that's for ANOTHER property tax in 2011 to increase of 3%?

so the big announcement was to tell us we're raising taxes by a net of 2% afteR?

did I listen to that right?

From The Star
Wednesday’s announcement said the additional surplus money found by budget chief Shelley Carroll meant a residential property tax increase would be reduced to 2.9 per cent – “lower than previous estimates” – and that the city would offer “better services” to address concerns about user fees.

“Building a great city takes commitment, partnership and sacrifice from all of us,” Miller said. “When I introduced the city budget in February, I said, ‘You can’t have a great city for free. Whoever tells you they can freeze or cut your taxes and provide the vital services we rely on is simply not telling you the whole story.’ ”

He also promised a balanced budget in 2011 and no TTC fare hike, based on what he called a “modest” property tax increase of 3 per cent.

It's amazing how a 'surplus' can somehow mean we are raising taxes by a net of 2%.

Why this clown even took the time to blow smoke up our way is beyond me. You're leaving, just tell us you're sticking it to us one more time before you leave. Disliked, but perhaps leave with some dignity and respect.

I guess that positions Pantalone to say he's also running on a platform of no tax increases ? lol.

Ah, politics.

Re: Shelly Carroll: That's a good point.

However, I think this was totally worthy of a press conference about a major announcement. The media set it up for something about Miller and the election which it proved to not be. It was their speculation that made the actual announcement "underwhelming" and "weird". The Mayor mentioned an uploading of TTC costs to the province which will be a huge development as it's been the ball and chain that routinely drags the city down.

What was "totally weird" about this announcement is that none of our local channels broadcast it! WTF?? CityTV was showing City Line and CTV was playing Regis & Kelly. That's just sad. The only channel broadcasting the major press conference was Hamilton's CHCH. This city's tv stations just reached a new low. I know it was on CP24, but not having an over the air local channel broadcast breaking news about our city is incredible. Even a small town will interrupt their regular broadcast to bring breaking news to its viewers.

re: homeless

Bums are more likely to attack then coyotes.... let's find a relocation program for them.

Well, they're just bums that demand a "solution" anyways - not sure how final it'd be though.

AoD

Last edited:
It's amazing how a 'surplus' can somehow mean we are raising taxes by a net of 2%.

Why this clown even took the time to blow smoke up our way is beyond me. You're leaving, just tell us you're sticking it to us one more time before you leave. Disliked, but perhaps leave with some dignity and respect.

I guess that positions Pantalone to say he's also running on a platform of no tax increases ? lol.

Ah, politics.

Haa haa..all i can think of is.....Miller has become a professional con artist. And yes Pantalone, Giambrone, and Vaughan arent to far behind. lol

Back