News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Thats great until you get one or two who just end up leaving their garbage on the floor beside the chute.
On my floor we have a pair of bimbos who do this whether the chute is working or not. Not sure if they are ignorant or just really stupid. I'm guessing the tri-sorter is just too difficult for them to figure out.
When they first moved in they left their garbage outside their door for days on end until management straightened them out. Perhaps they thought there was garbage pick-up. ..and yes, they are blond.

were they hot? lol.

i guess they wanted to avoid the smell/dust from the draft created by opening the chute

Hi folks,
I'm on the board of directors and we recently switched from private garbage pick-up to city pick-up, saving us over six grand (yay!). As an environmentalist, I'm also happy we now have to recycle (something we didn't do with private pick-up). The problem is, not many residents are recycling or composting. People are continuing to throw down ALL of their garbage down the chutes even though they are only supposed to throw black bin stuff down the chutes now; our building can't accommodate a tri-sorter. We have posted signs, sent myriad emails, hosted informal training sessions, etc. All to no avail. Since the city can stop servicing our building if we don't start complying (costing us six grand), we are wondering if we can just lock access to the chutes and force people to bring their garbage down to the garbage room (our building is only 5 stories high).

Most people should be recycling or composting 70 percent of their garbage anyway (which must be done in the garbage room) so it's not like we are asking them to do a separate trip really.

I also think locking the chutes would save the corporation money since we wouldn't have to light, clean and power wash the chutes anymore.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Good luck with recycling. We have a tri-sorter system but despite frequent emails, signage, talking about it in meetings, etc., it is not used properly.

Do you have anyone with disabilities in the building? You may have people saying that they are unable to bring their garbage down and require accommodations.

We have a garbage room for larger items that can't fit in the chute, and I can tell you that people still don't sort properly even when they bring their stuff down.

I would love to know a solution to get people to comply!

Wouldn't it be great if residents were just intrinsically motivated to save Mother Earth? Sheesh.

I'm going to recommend we lock the doors. If there's a rebellion, I'll ask residents to form a Green Committee (dissenters aren't as vocal when you ask them to get involved, huh?).

Video surveillance would be too expensive. Timely, too.

Thanks, PL. Any other thoughts out there?

Our building has had garbage (down the chute), recycling and organic (bring bags to garage area) for about 5 years and it works pretty well. We have reduced our (City) garbage collection to one bin a week from 2 or 3 and fill 2 recycling bins a week and one organic/week (not filled but smelly!)
Yes, we see recyclables and organic in the chute (garbage) bin but really not too much and see people 'recycling' things they think OUGHT to be recyclable but which City does not accept. Our garbage room cannot fit a tri-sorter but, as Pink Lucy notes these get rather poor reviews.
Lash Condo law had an interesting blog post on the City and garbage last week:
http://www.lashcondolaw.com/condominiums-and-city-of-toronto-waste-collection-offences/

Good luck with recycling. We have a tri-sorter system but despite frequent emails, signage, talking about it in meetings, etc., it is not used properly.

Do you have anyone with disabilities in the building? You may have people saying that they are unable to bring their garbage down and require accommodations.

We have a garbage room for larger items that can't fit in the chute, and I can tell you that people still don't sort properly even when they bring their stuff down.

I would love to know a solution to get people to comply!

Yep my building has the tri-sorter and people are still throwing the wrong things down; or big items that clog and disable the chutes; or, just leaving their refuse in the chute room floor (whether the chute is disabled or not). *sigh* On time there was so much crap on the floor I couldn't even open the door to get into room.

Back