News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Well Main Street Unionville shouldn't even be accessible by cars in the first place. There's a perfectly fine road that travels parallel to it in the back where the parking lots are just about 30+ meters away. The main street should be a pedestrian only street just like it is during festivals. It's ridiculous.

Frankly, I feel that a ped-only Main Street Unionville would only aggravate the cloying cutesiness of the joint. Better that it remain car-accessible, because it's more "authentic" that way. (Though I'm not discouraging traffic calming measures, either.)

And they'll never run an LRT down Main Street Unionville but there is the rail corridor which runs just west of it. No idea if that could somehow be used to get transit into that core, if someone wanted to...

That's a GO train service, it is not something that will ever get you to a destination in the centre of unionville.

What you said is like saying "no, we don't need any roads here, there's an expressway just a kilometre away"

The province just gave them $1.4 billion to do 67 km of BRT, I believe.
Math ain't my specialty but I guess that's about $20 million/km?

Yes, I saw the 1.4 billion, but I wasn't sure if that was just for Highway 7 or if that included the segment in Newmarket, on Yonge St. and Davis Dr. What does that 67 km include?

TOS

Yes, I saw the 1.4 billion, but I wasn't sure if that was just for Highway 7 or if that included the segment in Newmarket, on Yonge St. and Davis Dr. What does that 67 km include?

TOS
I do believe it includes everything. No way Purple is 67 k.

Does anyone know what's happening to Orange after the Spadina extension? I heard somewhere that Purple was getting extended to VCC or even further, but that would essentially kill the Viva Orange in the process.

Then again, they could use the extra busses for all day service on Viva Green :p

Frankly, I feel that a ped-only Main Street Unionville would only aggravate the cloying cutesiness of the joint. Better that it remain car-accessible, because it's more "authentic" that way. (Though I'm not discouraging traffic calming measures, either.)

I disagree. Try having a casual conversation on the patio of one of the restaurants/cafes and you'll probably change your mind. All the road is used for nowadays is for idiots with their modified mufflers to show off the fact that they're destroying their own cars from the inside with an obscenely intense subwoofer pumping in the trunk, rattling everything inside and out, and a muffler that's essentially louder than a Harley.

It's just aggravating, and nobody likes hearing it except the idiot(s) in the car. And this is opinion isn't coming from some old timer, either.

Back on topic though, I think what may be driving up the cost of the BRT lanes is the weird bottleneck point that they had previously said they weren't going to touch (and now I hope they have changed their minds) at Hwy 7 and 404. It would be a joke if they didn't keep the lane moving right through that point.

Does anyone know what's happening to Orange after the Spadina extension? I heard somewhere that Purple was getting extended to VCC or even further, but that would essentially kill the Viva Orange in the process.

If Spadina subway reaches VCC / Hwy 7, there will be no point in running Orange concurrently to it. The remaining portion of Orange (from VCC to Martin Grove) combines with Purple quite naturally.

Of course, Brampton is likely to introduce a premium bus route to VCC subway at that point. That could be an extension of VIVA, or Acceleride express brand.

I think I saw in VIVA's plans that once the subway is brought up to VCC that purple will be realigned away from York U, it will stay on Hwy 7 instead of turning south at Keele. Orange would integrate into purple so that purple would be extended to Martin Grove. It might be useful to re-route Orange to run north from VCC subway station along Jane and into Vaughan Mills Mall.

*** Edit ***

Adding link to future route plan

Here

Last edited:
I think I saw in VIVA's plans that once the subway is brought up to VCC that purple will be realigned away from York U, it will stay on Hwy 7 instead of turning south at Keele. Orange would integrate into purple so that purple would be extended to Martin Grove. It might be useful to re-route Orange to run north from VCC subway station along Jane and into Vaughan Mills Mall.

*** Edit ***

Adding link to future route plan

Here

Wow, that really sucks. That definitely just made the Viva much less attractive as my method of getting to York U. Pathetic, really. They're going to make me go further out west, and then back south-east after a transfer to a stub route? No thank you. I already make 2 transfers between 3 buses as it is.

And on top of that, wouldn't that be another fare as soon as you go on the subway?

And on top of that, wouldn't that be another fare as soon as you go on the subway?

They will have some sort of fare integration. More routes will be made to run out of hubs so perhaps, depending on where you are coming from, you might not have any more transfers than you do now.

What a joke. York University is a major destination for Viva riders. Wal-Mart is not. This is a forced transfer for the majority of passengers, it will result in poorer service, and reeks of bad planning.

But at least Sorbara got his real estate values up, right?

I think that once viva purple connects to the spadina subway extension there shoudl be a new viva route created going north from VCC up jane to major mac, and east accross to wardand then south down warden to Markham centre, this would not only serve both of the city centres but it will serve wonderland, vaughan mills various community centres on major mac, connections to the subway/viva purple, blue @ yonge n major mac, viva green @ markham centre and the Unionville GO staiton as well as the Richmond hill GO station and also the bayview secondary school and the 404 and 400 highways

I think that once viva purple connects to the spadina subway extension there shoudl be a new viva route created going north from VCC up jane to major mac, and east accross to wardand then south down warden to Markham centre, this would not only serve both of the city centres but it will serve wonderland, vaughan mills various community centres on major mac, connections to the subway/viva purple, blue @ yonge n major mac, viva green @ markham centre and the Unionville GO staiton as well as the Richmond hill GO station and also the bayview secondary school and the 404 and 400 highways

What you suggest could easily be just a a regular YRT route. VIVA should be for busy corridors only, otherwise there would be no point, the route would just be a white elephant.

Hmm... Extend Spadina up to Wonderland then run a Major Mac Viva Route?

I like...

I think that a Major Mac route should actually be in the picture. (I think) There is still room for Markham to expand up past Major Mac and Vaughn's already there. Viva's a really good system, and prehaps once they get the busways finished on Purple and Blue, they could start a Major Mackenzie route. Green could get extended up to Major Mackenzie and service the communities in there. Kennedy and/or McCowan Rapid Transit routes and an extended Spadina Subway to Major Mackenzie (wonderland) would provide more links. If Blue and Purple ever end up becoming subway (which I see as a very big possibility) then Major Mac could become LRT, and 16th and 14th Avenues could get Viva bus service.

Then the world will become a better place. Poverty and hunger will suddenly cease to exist, and we will all be one big happy, loving family ;)

But seriously, Major Mac Viva = Good

Back