News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

If that were the answer, you'd have a point.
That is the answer. You are only confusing the poor guy by taking literally the use of the word "soundproofing" rather than reading deeper into what he is writing, and understanding that he simply wants to cut down on noise from the neighbour.

It's pretty simple .... 2x3 studs, insulation, gyproc, plaster, and paint. And adjust any electrical outlets. Perhaps a sheet of plastic and acoustical caulking wouldn't hurt either. If I had to guess, I'd think a contractor could do this for well under $10,000. Probably closer to $2,000 to $3,000 ... but it shouldn't be difficult to quickly get some ballpark quotes.

I'm not trying to be racist, but mainland china people can be so inconsiderate (-_-)
I guess your so good at being racist that you don't even need to try! Don't subscribe the attributes of one or two individuals to an entire group!

Last edited:
It's pretty simple .... 2x3 studs, insulation, gyproc, plaster, and paint. And adjust any electrical outlets. Perhaps a sheet of plastic and acoustical caulking wouldn't hurt either. If I had to guess, I'd think a contractor could do this for well under $10,000. Probably closer to $2,000 to $3,000 ... but it shouldn't be difficult to quickly get some ballpark quotes.

Nfitz, I'm not sure that would work for a condo. The problem is all of the shared piping, vents, etc, which travels between the units. If one does a great sound reduction reno on the wall, but there is a single plumbing pipe that passes through the two units, that single pipe will allow a substantial portion of the sound to continue to pass through.

Sound is like water - if there is an uninsulated spot, the sound will come through.

The OP should get a sound insulation expert to assess the specific situation, and see what is feasible. A contractor will simply do the job contracted, without necessarily understanding the nuances, of sound insulation.

I'm going through this right now. My previous neighbour had been soooo quiet. He was an older guy. He moved out a month ago. I didn't even know he moved until I heard music shaking my condo. Couple kids moved in next door now it's f**ing party central on Fridays and Saturdays and sometimes during the week. It's crazy how they have no concept of how loud they are. Blaring music, leaving the balcony door open...singing on the balcony. I've put together a nice little list and will be passing it along to the management office.

Worst part about it is the music sucks.

I'm going through this right now. My previous neighbour had been soooo quiet. He was an older guy. He moved out a month ago. I didn't even know he moved until I heard music shaking my condo. Couple kids moved in next door now it's f**ing party central on Fridays and Saturdays and sometimes during the week. It's crazy how they have no concept of how loud they are. Blaring music, leaving the balcony door open...singing on the balcony. I've put together a nice little list and will be passing it along to the management office.

Worst part about it is the music sucks.

Condos have Rules about noise (if not about music preferences) and it is a legal requirement that they are enforced by the Property Manager and Board. Complain to them, in writing.

Condos have Rules about noise (if not about music preferences) and it is a legal requirement that they are enforced by the Property Manager and Board. Complain to them, in writing.

Yep.

I don't know the rules though. Is it low music after 9 or 11? I'll find out anyways when I talk to the prop. man. I hear a bunch of girls in there, at least invite me over and all will be forgiven.

Condos have Rules about noise

Not in my condo. The board has refused, for 9 1/2 years, to make any rules regarding excessive noise. They simply defer to the city's noise bylaws....anything goes between 7am and 11pm.

It's pretty simple

LOL. you're not an acoustics engineer...even though you're playing one on the internet ;)

Before you start any changes re sound proofing, you also need to consider whether you will be impacting the common elements - in which case you will likely need the Condo Board's approval to do any changes. I would find out first what your condo's rules say about noise and talk to the property management. If you are an owner you should have a copy of the condos by-laws, rules and regulations.

Not in my condo. The board has refused, for 9 1/2 years, to make any rules regarding excessive noise. They simply defer to the city's noise bylaws....anything goes between 7am and 11pm. QUOTE]

I really doubt there are no noise Rules in your Condo Corporation and you should read them to see exactly what they say. The Board is legally obliged to enforce any Rules there are. (I would say that enforcing Rules is not easy and noise Rules are complex as it is not always clear WHERE the noise comes from - apparently not the case here - and then determining whether it is excessive.)

I really doubt there are no noise Rules in your Condo Corporation and you should read them to see exactly what they say.

As I mentioned, and as you quoted, they defer to the citys noise bylaws, 7 am to 11pm.

Yep.

I don't know the rules though. Is it low music after 9 or 11? I'll find out anyways when I talk to the prop. man. I hear a bunch of girls in there, at least invite me over and all will be forgiven.

It doesn't matter what time it is. Its a condo and most have it written into their bylaws that you have to be reasonable when it comes to noise so as to not disturb your neighbours. I simply call concierge, and they deal with the noise in my building. They take down the information and send security up to the offending unit to notify them that a complaint has been received and they will need to quiet down. All of the information is collected daily and sent to property management, who then files it and takes further action if the unit is a repeat offender.

It doesn't matter what time it is. Its a condo and most have it written into their bylaws that you have to be reasonable when it comes to noise so as to not disturb your neighbours. I simply call concierge, and they deal with the noise in my building. They take down the information and send security up to the offending unit to notify them that a complaint has been received and they will need to quiet down. All of the information is collected daily and sent to property management, who then files it and takes further action if the unit is a repeat offender.

If you have problems and get no satisfaction from concierge or Property Manager you should remember that they are employees of the Board and the Board has a legal responsibility (under the Condominium Act) to enforce the Declaration, By-Laws and Rules (noise normally being covered by a Rule). If you are not happy you should write specifically to the President of the Board and ask for action, perhaps reminding her/him of the legal requirements!

I went through this for awhile with a neighbor on one side (a renter, not an owner). I think most condo docs have a "Peaceful Enjoyment" clause - when the rights of one resident to play music in the privacy of their home interferes with the rights of another resident to the peaceful enjoyment of their home, the Property Manager / Condo Board should theoretically come down on the side of peaceful enjoyment. In our case, we had the walls tested first (came back at STC 50 - exactly minimum code). Then, once we knew the walls were at code, it took several meetings with the resident (mediated by the Property Manager) and finally a meeting with the owner of the suite. Legal action was implied, but it didn't come to that. The owner told the tenant that if he didn't quiet down she'd sell the unit and turf him out. It sucked that it had to get to that point - we dreaded bumping into our neighbor in the hall because he hated our guts for "cramping his style" (funny, that, since he was the one making the trouble in the first place). Took about 8 months, but we could finally get to sleep at a reasonable hour.

Back