8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

jammer

Member Bio
Reaction score
The tenant next door smokes on their balcony and the smoke blows in my apartment.
I am screwed, right?
Is there any city that I can rent an apartment in that has a law against smoking?
Maybe a condo?

I wonder if "no smoking on balconies" is as enforceable as the "no pets" rule on the lease (ie. not at all).

The tenant next door smokes on their balcony and the smoke blows in my apartment.
I am screwed, right?

Yes. Be glad if it is only coming through the door or window. At least you have an option of closing those and using A/C instead. In many cases, smoke travels between units via the ventilation shafts, gaps around plumbing and wiring, outlets, under the door, etc. Also note that for many people, patios and balconies are simply smoking rooms and are used almost exclusively for this purpose. The ability of others to enjoy their nearby balconies or have their windows open will be compromised.

I personally find it odd that in this day and age we have basically no rights to live in a smoke-free environment in our own homes. The onus is complely on us, as the victims, to try to block all access points for smoke, which is basically futile in my experience. Meanwhile, the smokers have no concerns whatsoever. You can complain to the landlord, concierge, condo board, building super, God, etc., but at the end of the day to my knowledge none of these entities can do anything, and smokers will claim (correctly) that they have a right to do as they please in their own homes.

Smoking is legal if the building allows smoking, not a damn thing you can do about it, You could move to a smoke free building or move out to the country, i got smoke and TTC bus fumes blowing on to my patio.

Smoking is legal if the building allows smoking, not a damn thing you can do about it, You could move to a smoke free building or move out to the country, i got smoke and TTC bus fumes blowing on to my patio.

I live in a Homestead.ca building and they have no smoke free buildings.
I assume there is no demand but I think that is ignorance.

My roommate and I both smoke on the balcony 365 days & nights a year, we never smoke inside but we're careful not to blow smoke over to our neighbourhours balcony. I stopped smoking inside my apartments probably 20 years ago & never had a complaint from anyone.

Back