8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

From link:

DbvtsTbW0AAwzTp.jpg

DbvtsTdW4AALinl.jpg

BTW. Nothing to do with the van attack, but commemorates workers who have been killed, injured or suffered illness due to workplace related hazards and incidents. See link.

Last edited:
Memorials now appearing at Mel Lastman Square, in addition to the original at Olive Square Park.

IMG_8461.JPG
IMG_8463.JPG
IMG_8462.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8461.JPG
    IMG_8461.JPG
    323 KB · Views: 818
  • IMG_8463.JPG
    IMG_8463.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 792
  • IMG_8462.JPG
    IMG_8462.JPG
    368.9 KB · Views: 828
I
Murder trial begins for the Alek Minassian case:

I don’t know how a mental defence would would in this case. It’s not like he was seeing demons on a Greyhound and was compelled to lop off the head of another passenger. In this case the perp said he did it, said why he did it, claimed he wanted to hurt women, and strategized on how to do it. We have intent, planning, motivation and execution. What more is needed?

We need a life without parole option for people like him.

I don't think we should ever craft laws with the most exceptional or extreme circumstance in mind; such laws invariably have their usage extended to circumstances they ought not; and can be used to justify other repressive laws.

We already have a provision open to the Crown to extend the term of a sentence beyond 25 years; the 'Dangerous Offender' provision.

That was not sought here, to my understanding.

In respect of the decision; I was intrigued by the judge's choice not to name the accused (now convicted) party here.

She observed that a key motivation on his part for the acts involved was obtaining notoriety and she would not contribute to same.

She instead referred to him as 'John Doe'.

I'd be interested to know if that's a first in Canadian Courts; its certainly a rarity.

As per: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/minassian-trial-decision-1.5933687

I don't think we should ever craft laws with the most exceptional or extreme circumstance in mind; such laws invariably have their usage extended to circumstances they ought not; and can be used to justify other repressive laws.

We already have a provision open to the Crown to extend the term of a sentence beyond 25 years; the 'Dangerous Offender' provision.

That was not sought here, to my understanding.
He got automatic life as a result of the verdict. What will be decided is if the sentences will be concurrent or consecutive.

Since he's an incel, castration could have been a fitting punishment. He could get castrated in exchange for shorter prison sentence (but since he committed many counts of murder and attempted murder, it's unlikely even if he chose to be castrated).

Czechia even experimented with painless chemical castration as punishment (though for rapists rather than incels who committed murder for ideological reasons) and Czechia prohibits cruel and/or unusual punishment.

Since he's an incel, castration could have been a fitting punishment. He could get castrated in exchange for shorter prison sentence (but since he committed many counts of murder and attempted murder, it's unlikely even if he chose to be castrated).

Czechia even experimented with painless chemical castration as punishment (though for rapists rather than incels who committed murder for ideological reasons) and Czechia prohibits cruel and/or unusual punishment.
Not knowing anything about him, he may have been radicalized by the internet much like some Islamist terrorists. I won't lie, I was on my way to the airport when this attack happened and was worried that it was an Islamist attack (given the spate of similar attacks in France at the time). Not sure how much of this was driven by mental illness... I'm less interested in punishment (won't be effective in dissuading future attacks as most end in suicide) vs protecting the public. I don't think he needs to be kept in jail for 50 years if he can deradicalized and receive treatment.

Not knowing anything about him, he may have been radicalized by the internet much like some Islamist terrorists. I won't lie, I was on my way to the airport when this attack happened and was worried that it was an Islamist attack (given the spate of similar attacks in France at the time). Not sure how much of this was driven by mental illness... I'm less interested in punishment (won't be effective in dissuading future attacks as most end in suicide) vs protecting the public. I don't think he needs to be kept in jail for 50 years if he can deradicalized and receive treatment.
Don't forget that there's entire websites and communities dedicated to incel and alt-right ideology. These websites and online communities are collectively called alt-tech.

If we want to prevent the creation of future Minassians, governments and website admins and mods need to crack down on alt-tech and on mainstream social media and video games. Free speech does not apply to privately run websites.

In the meantime, it's very difficult to deradicalize incels without them complaining of "censorship by 'SJWs'."

There's a subreddit dedicated to men's sexuality from a progressive non-toxic perspective:

Last edited:

Back