News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

however we know for a fact many hospitals are not anywhere near capacity and some are below normal?

Why not allow things to reopen there?

Maybe send all new cases of corona to select hospitals and keep some corona free?

however we know for a fact many hospitals are not anywhere near capacity and some are below normal?

Why not allow things to reopen there?

Maybe send all new cases of corona to select hospitals and keep some corona free?

Yes; and its definitely under consideration. (should have been considered and done sooner)

Excellent article here, on the need for paid sick days. The article has a BC-centric slant, but could just as easily apply here.

Air Canada implementing new changes beginning on May 15th:

Mandatory temperature checks with infrared thermometers at all airports are part of a suite of measures to be introduced by May 15 to "provide greater peace of mind" to passengers. The airline will also hand out personal care kits with disinfectant and block the sale of adjacent seats in economy class to increase physical distancing.

"We're now living through the darkest period ever in the history of commercial aviation, significantly worse than 9/11, SARS and the 2008 financial crisis," CEO Calin Rovinescu said on a conference call with analysts Monday.

The country's largest airline predicts it will take at least three years to return to the flight capacity and earnings heights of 2019 as the pandemic's "cataclysmic" effects continue to mount.

Family Dollar security guard in Michigan fatally shot, apparently for asking a woman to don a mask before entering the store. Obviously tragic............but beyond that, too senseless to contemplate.

French doctors say they found a Covid-19 patient from December

Updated 4:24 PM ET, Mon May 4, 2020

There's new evidence that the coronavirus may have been in France weeks earlier than was previously thought.

Doctors at a Paris hospital say they've found evidence that one patient admitted in December was infected with Covid-19. If verified, this finding would show that the virus was already circulating in Europe at that time -- well before the first known cases were diagnosed in France or hotspot Italy.

"Covid-19 was already spreading in France in late December 2019, a month before the official first cases in the country," the team at Groupe Hospitalier Paris Seine in Saint-Denis wrote in a study published Sunday in the International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents.

The first official reports of Covid-19 in France were reported on Jan. 24, in two people who had a history of travel to Wuhan, China.

----------
"One sample was positive taken from a 42 year old man born in Algeria, who lived in France for many years, and worked as a fishmonger," the team wrote. "His last trip was in Algeria during August 2019."

The man had not been to China, and one of his children had also been sick, also, the team reported.

"Identifying the first infected patient is of great epidemiological interest as it changes dramatically our knowledge regarding SARS-COV-2 and its spreading in the country. Moreover, the absence of a link with China and the lack of recent travel suggest that the disease was already spreading among the French population at the end of December, 2019," they wrote.

Last edited:
Air Canada implementing new changes beginning on May 15th:

Oh what fun that will be. I'm so glad i don't have to fly anywhere. I think people should only be flying if it's an emergency or important business. There should be no leisure flying this summer.

How the haircut situation has been going in Germany now that salons are open again:

Within hours of seating their first customers for a tint or a trim, many hairdressers and clients were starting to experience that reopening for trade did not necessarily mean business as usual.

For one, salons have to abide by a series of new hygiene rules that will pose a challenge in particular to smaller businesses.

Styling chairs have to be kept at a minimum distance of 1.5 metres from each other; washing hair before a cut is compulsory to help kill off possible viruses; magazines are not allowed in the waiting area, and customers can no longer expect a free coffee as they settle in.

Face-to-face coiffeuring, such as beard trimming or eyebrow tinting, is banned. Hairdressers have to wear single-use aprons and disinfect their scissors and brushes between cuts.

-----------
Compulsory face masks for customers and stylists means visiting the hairdresser will become a less intimate ritual than it used to be.

Last edited:
Nice! 6-7 weeks sounds like one heckuva trip in BC.

I'm trying to time it so that I can go to Eclipse Festival in Quebec at the end of July, drive from there straight to Shambhala Festival in early August, and then make it back to Ontario for Harvest Festival at the end of September. :D

Mad festival tip.

And I'm especially stoked because a bestie of mine who moved to Australia a few years ago is going to meet me at Shambhala!!!

The Îles de la Madeleine (Magdalen Islands), roughly between PEI and Newfoundland is also another hidden gem out east.

I would love to check this.

I'll do a 6+ week east coast trip in the next three years, hopefully. Go to France even. ;)

Family Dollar security guard in Michigan fatally shot, apparently for asking a woman to don a mask before entering the store. Obviously tragic............but beyond that, too senseless to contemplate.

So tragic and senseless. But, sadly, an increasingly typical response to human social interaction in the US. Dollar store + Flint + gun = . . .

Hard to say we are starting to reach a breakeven point of continuing a lockdown with its economic, financial. social and mental costs will start to overshadow the virus.
Especially as 3/4 of the Canadian deaths are in long term residences. If we put proper protections in place to protect these facilities and their residences, reopening the economy may be considered doable.

For those concerned about the Covid situation in Montreal, I would commend you to a thoughtful, and concerning twitter thread by Aaron Derfel.

It would appear problems are afoot, with ER capacity increasingly heavily taxed (perhaps due to people deferring coming in earlier)

While Hospitalizations are way up for Covid related cases; it appears, mainly as transfers from Quebec's LTCs come in.........

Back