News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

This is nonsense. Private campgrounds but not Crown land? And still the fire ban?

So, I've spent 7 weeks working whilst people sit at home. Barely going to the shops for food. Not seeing any of my friends. And I can't even go perform the pinnacle social distance in a damn bush somewhere? Because I don't own a cottage.

Us free-living folk don't pay enough PC Party bills, I'm guessing. My contribution to society isn't enough. Work. Balcony. Repeat. Whilst the bougies go to their cottages. Oh, look at that, marinas! Just in time.

I'm going even more outside society. Gonna start tax avoidance. You cottagers can pay your own bills.

I get less than I put in and I can't even go relax in isolation. ffs

From The Beaverton: Restrictions remain in place for Ontarians who can’t afford cottages

Last edited:
Apart from the bugs and washroom/outhouse situation, I actually really enjoy camping. Nothing beats sitting around a campfire grilling food, sipping beers, star gazing, playing cards in the tent, long hikes, canoeing, and taking cold water swims in the lake.

Bugs are manageable in most of Ontario, by simply going at the right time of year.

Fall is best, but really anytime past Canada Day and the black flies are largely done.

Skeeters don't care for the smoke of campfire and also have difficulty finding your scent through the smoke..............

...........as to outhouses.............you don't get many of those on 'crown land'..............and if you're going to a provincial/national park its mostly 'comfort stations' these days..........

Though I suppose there are some vault toilets....but they aren't the outhouses of old very often.

Camping is great; though I'm less keen on sleeping in a tent than I used to be............

But the fire, cooking outdoors, swimming and most of all hiking....................(though canoeing is good too)

But starting your day at the break of dawn..........

Grab a quick granola bar...........and some water..............

Head out on the trail.....2km in........take photos of a sunrise over a northern lake............then continue on...........spot some wildlife..........maybe a moose munching on some reeds..............after 5km take a break and read a book for 20m.

Then continue on ...............at km 8.......take a dip in another lake.........................cool off..........have that 1/2 sandwich you packed.........

Another 20m read........

Then on for the next 8km back to camp!

Raid the cooler for an ice cold beer..........put the feet up..............read for an hour............take a nap...............go for a swim.............time to make dinner............Grilled Raspberry-Dijon-Thyme Chicken Breast over the open fire, fanned over salad of mixed greens, thinly shaved red onion, fresh raspberries and rounds of yellow bell pepper; tossed with a raspberry vinaigrette, and serve up an ice cold, off-dry Rose wine and kick back..........

Then enjoy the fire under the starry sky at night.........

And do it all again tomorrow!

^ Classic.

Late September / early October is my favourite time of the year for camping. By then, hopefully, should be able to do some backcountry camping. I would like to do the La Cloche Silhouette Trail again in Killarney, but in the reverse direction. Last time I did was in 2015 and finally got back to civilization to listen to Game 3 of the ALDS vs. the Rangers on the radio heading back to the Scarborough. Gonna be quite hard to get COVID while spending 7 days in the backcountry.

McDonald's to end self serve public soda machines, a likely new norm for all fast food chains and other similar settings for a while.

Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Chartwell Retirement Residences and Long Term Care Homes

From link.

Neinstein Personal Injury Lawyers, a law firm based in downtown Toronto, has announced the filing of a class-action lawsuit against Chartwell Retirement Residences and Long Term Care Homes for their alleged failures in outbreak planning, precautions and response relating to COVID-19, which resulted in preventable resident deaths and unnecessary suffering for their family members.

The Firm believes that when we entrust our loved ones to a Long-Term Care Home, we place our most valuable and vulnerable assets in their care. When preventable harm occurs, that trust is broken.

The lawsuit is filed on behalf of representative Plaintiff Albino Pugliese, who lost his mother, Teresa Pugliese, when she contracted COVID-19 while living in a Chartwell Home. The proposed class action is brought on behalf of all persons who live or lived at a Chartwell Home from January 10, 2020 to the end of the pandemic date, which is currently unknown. The proposed class members also include the family members of those residents.

Neinstein Personal Injury Lawyers alleges that the facilities had systemic failures including inadequate infection outbreak planning, inadequate screening and testing of residents, staff and visitors, inappropriate isolation and control measures, insufficient staff levels, failures to transport patients to hospital and lack of appropriate PPE for residents and staff. The proposed class action has not yet been certified.

Families of loved ones who resided at a Chartwell Home should contact Neinstein Personal Injury Lawyers for information or visit their website: click here

Air Canada just announced they are going to lay off 20,000 employees.
We therefore took the extremely difficult decision today to significantly downsize our operation to align with forecasts, which regrettably means reducing our workforce by 50 to 60 per cent,” the airline said in an email Friday evening. “We estimate about 20,000 people will be affected.”

There was an article online that states how air travel will only be for the rich and powerful when this is all over because of the need for social distancing measures increasing costs. Honestly, after all this I think travel will rebound. People will need to unwind despite everything.

Social distancing measures will need to be put in place but I highly doubt airlines are stupid enough to increase prices. If airlines want to survive after the pandemic they will need to slash prices and provide deep discounts.

Nobody will pay more for airfare when they don't have to but if the price is right...

There was an article online that states how air travel will only be for the rich and powerful when this is all over...

I think that's as it should be. The democratisation of things that are intrinsically detrimental to the planet and, by extension, humanity isn't exactly helpful to our continuing existential crisis.

Just saying.

The sooner we start correctly pricing things that are detrimental to us--by which I mean taking into account their actual costs--the better.

Wonder how many of us are only thinking about changing their "zoom"/"facetime"/whatever presence by putting up a different background?

817Rgakv1YL._AC_SX679_.jpg

From link.

It’s time to start a camping thread if you want to keep talking about it.

You sure? I thought it was illegal.

Ok, now I'm just being a dick. (If you ask my colleagues at work, I'm champion at this :D )

Moving along, I've really found this plague time to be restorative to my health, as incongruent as that may seem.

Everything has become slower and quieter (though it's ramping up to full nonsense again) and it's been a nice 8 weeks of contemplation for me, personally.
Other than realising how much I love the outdoors (I had to, because it's truuuuueee), I've also let go of a lot of resentments.

It's been a beneficial period for me.

How are you guys doing? Are a lot of you stuck at home still? Have you found time to contemplate the finer points of existence? Or has it all been survival mode/why do I live with these people-type stuff?

I started yoga in addition to my calisthenics routine and that's been very beneficial. I'm still working, but the lack of social possibilities has enabled me to spend more time with and on myself.

I've also came upon a new problem. How do you exchange smiles with the ladies at the supermarket when you're both wearing masks? #plagueproblems

Back