News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Yeah a lot of people I know that voluntarily quit their jobs to collect cerb are freaking out now.

They tried reaching out to thier former employees and they been given a cold shoulder and wondering if they can get any job when cerb ends.

Well that serves them right. CERB should be going to those who deserve it.

Yeah a lot of people I know that voluntarily quit their jobs to collect cerb are freaking out now.

They tried reaching out to thier former employees and they been given a cold shoulder and wondering if they can get any job when cerb ends.

I had that happen at my company. So many students working for us saw dollar signs and claimed it was unsafe for them to work so they quit.

Now that cerb is running out they are trying to get back here and my company informed them that they won't be welcome back.

My feeling is that answer is to have the province acquire all the outstanding Beach space it does not own; as well as some adjacent homes/properties.

Ontario has not been investing in provincial parks for years and it shows; particularly in crowding. Campsites are almost identical in south-central Ontrario to what they were 30 years ago, but the population is up 50%.

The amount of rural area available near the City has declined substantially, while cottaging has become unaffordable for most of the middle class.

Just like campsites, beaches and day-use trails are also in short supply.

As to the locals, the good news for them is that their property values have gone way up, and would rise more with quality investment in the area.

I'm sure it would be nice for some if life could just got own as it did, and they could either have a quite small town life, or a low-cost seasonal cottage.

I'd also like to buy an East York bungalow for $180,000, instead of $1,200,000 sadly, we cannot all have things as we would like them.

Wasaga is one of the those get-away spots for GTA'ers.

We could use more of them, which would help; but nothing will seriously dent the demand for Wasaga, only , maybe, slow the growth curve a bit.

Time for Wasaga to evolve...........the motels to disappear; the park to enlarge, including supporting more Beach, more picnic space, more nature and camping. (not on the Beach)

While the rest of the town needs a re-do as well, maybe a resort, maybe just bigger, modern hotels; a row of high quality restaurant patios.......etc.

All the while the traffic jam must be addressed, initially with a modern bus terminal and highly quality bus service to K-W, Barrie and Toronto, especially on weekends, with an eye to rail service in the future.

The main road needs cycle tracks and those need to connect all the way to Barrie, to Collingwood and Owen Sound, and then south to K-W; and the local area needs a Bike-share system.

All that burden can't fall on the existing town.

Provincial money, investor money, regional money.

As to investors, no more un-proven hucksters. This is a case of looking for the big money behind major hotels/resorts or the like to be reliable partners (big enough to sue!)

Perhaps we should now return this thread to Covid.................my apologies if I've sidetracked it a bit much.

You could say the same about the Lake Erie side too. Port Dover could use a huge revamp. I am amazed that the turnover in properties and businesses there is near zero, ever. It's still tilted all the way toward overpriced greasy spoons, ice cream shops, and a main drag of stores selling knick knacks and doilies, a large number of which have been there for more than 50 years, if not even 70 years. The place is stagnant. It's barely changed since I was a kid in the 80's. And even then my parents said it hadn't changed since they were kids in the 50's. None of these businesses ever reinvest in themselves; the owners have extracted 100% of the profits for multiple generations. The sad part is the only real noticeable change is very low density suburban style housing sprawl on the outskirts of town; for Boomers retiring from the city, I assume.

I can see locals clinging to what is there fearing a global retail/restarurant chain invasion, and that would be a bad thing. But they've gone all the way in the opposite direction to avoid that. Have the same fish and chips menu from 1965 in the same restaurant that hasn't changed since 1955, next door to the other fish and chips restaurant that opened in 1967 and never changed, beside the third fish and chip restaurant that opened in 1959 and has never changed.

(Note: I haven't been there in about seven years, so I don't know of any very recent changes)

Last edited:
My feeling is that answer is to have the province acquire all the outstanding Beach space it does not own; as well as some adjacent homes/properties.

Ontario has not been investing in provincial parks for years and it shows; particularly in crowding. Campsites are almost identical in south-central Ontrario to what they were 30 years ago, but the population is up 50%.

The amount of rural area available near the City has declined substantially, while cottaging has become unaffordable for most of the middle class.

Just like campsites, beaches and day-use trails are also in short supply.

As to the locals, the good news for them is that their property values have gone way up, and would rise more with quality investment in the area.

I'm sure it would be nice for some if life could just got own as it did, and they could either have a quite small town life, or a low-cost seasonal cottage.

I'd also like to buy an East York bungalow for $180,000, instead of $1,200,000 sadly, we cannot all have things as we would like them.

Wasaga is one of the those get-away spots for GTA'ers.

We could use more of them, which would help; but nothing will seriously dent the demand for Wasaga, only , maybe, slow the growth curve a bit.

Time for Wasaga to evolve...........the motels to disappear; the park to enlarge, including supporting more Beach, more picnic space, more nature and camping. (not on the Beach)

While the rest of the town needs a re-do as well, maybe a resort, maybe just bigger, modern hotels; a row of high quality restaurant patios.......etc.

All the while the traffic jam must be addressed, initially with a modern bus terminal and highly quality bus service to K-W, Barrie and Toronto, especially on weekends, with an eye to rail service in the future.

The main road needs cycle tracks and those need to connect all the way to Barrie, to Collingwood and Owen Sound, and then south to K-W; and the local area needs a Bike-share system.

All that burden can't fall on the existing town.

Provincial money, investor money, regional money.

As to investors, no more un-proven hucksters. This is a case of looking for the big money behind major hotels/resorts or the like to be reliable partners (big enough to sue!)

Perhaps we should now return this thread to Covid.................my apologies if I've sidetracked it a bit much.

Most waterfront/shoreline in Ontario is public (there are some GB areas with old surveys that granted private beach ownership that were the subject of protracted legal battles). As for the province buying properties up on a massive scale, best have deep pockets.

I do agree that the historic development in 'cottage country' resulted in a dearth of provincial parks. The the best of knowledge, Muskoka has a grand total of two non-day use parks.

You could say the same about the Lake Erie side too. Port Dover could use a huge revamp. I am amazed that the turnover in properties and businesses there is near zero, ever. It's still tilted all the way toward overpriced greasy spoons, ice cream shops, and a main drag of stores selling knick knacks and doilies, a large number of which have been there for more than 50 years, if not even 70 years. The place is stagnant. It's barely changed since I was a kid in the 80's. And even then my parents said it hadn't changed since they were kids in the 50's. None of these businesses ever reinvest in themselves; the owners have extracted 100% of the profits for multiple generations. The sad part is the only real noticeable change is very low density suburban style housing sprawl on the outskirts of town; for Boomers retiring from the city, I assume.

I can see locals clinging to what is there fearing a global retail/restaurant chain invasion, and that would be a bad thing. But they've gone all the way in the opposite direction to avoid that. Have the same fish and chips menu from 1965 in the same restaurant that hasn't changed since 1955, next door to the other fish and chips restaurant that opened in 1967 and never changed, beside the third fish and chip restaurant that opened in 1959 and has never changed.

(Note: I haven't been there in about seven years, so I don't know of any very recent changes)

Perhaps the people that live there, year-round' like it that way. Ahh, the rural-urban divide. Personally, I liked Prince Edward County before it was 'found', and the property prices, food prices, etc. jumped. One problem with large-scale investment in seasonal areas is the short season unless you try to go the conference centre route. There's only so much of that business to go around and I think even that has probably softened recently.

Back to Covid:

Overall, today's numbers show a 0.3% increase, or 121 new cases province-wide.

This is fewer than the ~150 we've been seeing the last several days.

Toronto has 27 new cases, also a decline, and likewise, Peel, York and Windsor-Essex are also showing declines.

We're down to 150 in hospital in the entire province.

39 people are in ICU with 26 of those on ventilator

5 people died of Covid yesterday.

There were more resolved cases than new.

We're down to 36 LTC homes considered to be in outbreak; a very notable decline from 44 the day prior.

We're down to 1886 active cases in the province (that's everyone infected who is still within the 14-day window and has not yet tested negative)

Last time cases were this low was April 3rd.

1593875426254.png

Image from:
1593875553951.png

Note that the apparent spike on July 2 isn't real, but rather the result of under reporting on Canada Day when 30 hospitals did not submit numbers.. '

Attachments

• 1593875525996.png
    1593875525996.png
    334.6 KB · Views: 243
Perhaps the people that live there, year-round' like it that way. Ahh, the rural-urban divide. Personally, I liked Prince Edward County before it was 'found', and the property prices, food prices, etc. jumped. One problem with large-scale investment in seasonal areas is the short season unless you try to go the conference centre route. There's only so much of that business to go around and I think even that has probably softened recently.

Well Port Dover and Wasaga Beach are not newly "found" locations. They have been tourist and weekender draws for decades, generations even. The food prices have been high all this time. That's what I think is the larger point. They were up and running before anyone living there now was even born. They can't simply be calcified without change permanently forever as though nothing else in the world has changed, but that's what's happened. I really don't care about locals who moved there in 2005 to play make believe that it's still 1965. It's not. Even The Ex eventually figured this out.

Last edited:
Oh my... Florida reported 11,458 new coronavirus cases Saturday.

Texas isn't far behind at 8.3K:

AoD

I saw the headline that Toronto public health will only be reporting case numbers on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday moving forward. What does this mean? They will only be reporting directly to the public on these days or Ontario case numbers will only reflect Toronto numbers three times a week?

Oh my... Florida reported 11,458 new coronavirus cases Saturday.

Texas isn't far behind at 8.3K:

AoD
All of those Fourth of July parties are just excuses to spread COVID-19.

Some celebrate that day by having independence from having to wear masks and independence of being able to make stupid life choices by congregating when there's a pandemic. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness indeed.

Some states don't report numbers today since they have the Fourth of July off.

All of those Fourth of July parties are just excuses to spread COVID-19.

Some celebrate that day by having independence from having to wear masks and independence of being able to make stupid life choices by congregating when there's a pandemic. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness indeed.

Some states don't report numbers today since they have the Fourth of July off.

The parties doesn't help - but the spread is already baked in.

AoD

I think its time we opened the health system back to normal.

Like i am sorry but doctor appointments over the phone are not the same as in person.

Back