News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

*Cross Post from the Trudeau's Canada thread as its directly about Covid:*

Trudeau announcing an extra 2B for the safe re-start of schools, tomorrow, in the GTA. This is on top of the previous 19B transfer to the provinces.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/fe...-another-2b-into-safe-restart-of-schools.html

The funding would come on top of the $19-billion package that Ottawa offered provinces to relaunch their economies in July.

That would put Ontario's share in the vicinity of 800M (exact amount will be based on the number of school-aged children 4-18 in each province, and I haven't looked that up yet).

That's plenty to lower class sizes; though i expect some of it will wander elsewhere as the Feds are being 'flexible' on how the money is spent.

Ron DeSantis when it comes to popular media: Please think of the children! They're impressionable! Censor violent media!
Ron DeSantis when it comes to education: Screw children! They can easily be replaced! Pack the schools full! Violent media is worse than COVID-19!

Reality check: Much more people died from COVID-19 alone than all violent media combined in history. Ron DeSantis is the Florida Man who leads all Florida Men (except Donald Trump, who became the archetypical Florida Man that even DeSantis has to follow).

Last edited:
I came across these simple informative charts from a Business Insider article. The first is an Oxford university Risk Assessment chart. The second includes the source on the diagram:
5f46cb0ccd2fec00296a4649.jpg

5f1afd85f0f4190ad95e38b3.jpg

In all 14 countries except the U.S. and the U.K., more than half of the respondents said they were happy with their governments’ coronavirus response.

At the two ends of the national unity spectrum were the Americans and Danes. Seventy-seven per cent of the respondents in the U.S. believed their country is more divided now than before, while 72 per cent of those in Denmark said the crisis has brought people together.

Canada came second only to Denmark in having the most positive outlook about national unity, with 66 per cent of the respondents saying Canadians have become more united as a result of the pandemic.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...ampaign=National&utm_content=canadianamerican

When it comes to COVID-19, Doug Ford did what not many politicians of the same political stripe do: legislate based on evidence.

That helped with bringing about national unity.

People like Trump, DeSantis, and Bolsonaro bring about national disunity, despite sharing many political views with Doug Ford.

Yes, when it comes to COVID-19, Ford would rather side with Trudeau over Trump (though Ford would side with Trump on practically all non-COVID-19-related issues).

Thousands turn out in Berlin to protest coronavirus measures

Berlin authorities estimate that some 30,000 people attended the latest coronavirus skeptic demo. While most of the day was peaceful, hundreds of people attempted to storm the Reichstag parliament building.

Aug 29, 2020

Western Canada continues to see Covid spikes.

September will be a very telling month for us all in Ontario soon. While August was a relative sweet spot where we mostly averaged under 100. The amount of daily new Covid cases have been steady rising into the low to mid 100's in the past week or so. With school starting back up, the natural weather changes of Autumn, and monitoring trends from Asia and Europe, it's inevitable that we'll see similar patterns.

Fwiw, I treated August as a token chance for normalcy. Got to go out to enjoy patio outings and support some other businesses, but soon we'll be back in the grind.

September will be a very telling month for us all in Ontario soon. While August was a relative sweet spot where we mostly averaged under 100. The amount of daily new Covid cases have been steady rising into the low to mid 100's in the past week or so. With school starting back up, the natural weather changes of Autumn, and monitoring trends from Asia and Europe, it's inevitable that we'll see similar patterns.

Fwiw, I treated August as a token chance for normalcy. Got to go out to enjoy patio outings and support some other businesses, but soon we'll be back in the grind.

I agree. I think our hot dry summer has saved us or delayed us from seeing big Covid spikes.

I have only been to a mall once since they opened. i still eat out on patio's. I rarely go indoors other than to grocery shop. It's just too nice out to be stuck indoors.

I agree. I think our hot dry summer has saved us or delayed us from seeing big Covid spikes.

I have only been to a mall once since they opened. i still eat out on patio's. I rarely go indoors other than to grocery shop. It's just too nice out to be stuck indoors.

I visited the Eaton Centre a couple weeks ago. Needed somewhere to pass the time while I waited to get my glasses fixed and to use their facilities. It felt fine, but I've never seen it so empty before. It was around the noon hour in the middle of the week of course, but for most of the shops I would say staff out-numbered the customers. And for smaller shops they likely only had 2-3 staff members on hand. The EC being a student, tourist, downtown worker destination that is somewhat expected though with many of those typical visitors not around right now. I have heard places like Dufferin Mall where they cater to locals for everyday needs that it's at rather normal volumes.

Otherwise, also had a dentist appointment recently which was actually a replacement for one in May when we weren't in Phase 2 yet. Yep mostly patios and takeout/deliveries here too. Also drop by at some bubble tea , coffee, and juice places whenever I'm in the right areas. Mixed in with visits to various shops in the Roncy, Leslieville and Beaches areas. The East End places in particular I haven't been to in months.

The Food Basics near me sells beer and wine, but I've recently gone on a few LCBO runs for more craft beer type options. The one thing I haven't done is gotten a haircut in public yet. Still been getting a family member to do so for me. But that is also to do with us already having a set of clippers and the haircut being of reasonable quality after all.

That’s what I’ve been doing as well. Getting everything done appointment wise and stocking up; Also, getting out and having fun. With the kids going back to daycare in September we’re also breaking up our bubble after labour day.

With Canada still flailing in the wind without a vaccine plan (or at least none communicated to the public) I suspect we will be in and out of phase 2-3 until June 2021 at least.

Back