News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

1606577841501.png

City of Toronto data is really interesting. Their neighbourhood map shows the Beach has the lowest three-week infection rate in the City. The highest is Maple leaf near the 400 and 401 intersection. You can toggle on-and-off institutional outbreaks to get even more refined data (for instance the beach has few institutional settings to add to their testing numbers whereas some neighbourhoods may have larger numbers of congregate settings located there).

Maple Leaf has 30x the 3-week infection rate of the Beach! Yes, the City acknowledged there is a geographic and demographic issue and they’ve implemented some targeted measures such as limited attempts at mobile testing and now begun asymptomatic testing in schools; but come-on guys, 30-times! It’s been 9-months now. This is what I’m talking about when I’m talking about systemic structural failure, and ineffective leadership. Fight the fire where it’s burning. Government resources should be swarming these neighbourhoods like army ants while, if there are resource management issue totally ignoring low priority neighbourhoods like the Beach

Frank Hennessey, CEO of Recipe Unlimited (the former Cara, and parent of Swiss Chalet and Harveys among many others) is coming out firing for the way
Ontario and Toronto are managing Covid in respect to that industry.

He notes that they have asked for data establishing a link between the industry and Covid spread; and Ontario and Toronto have refused; while Alberta and BC have released such data and it shows
restaurants are responsible for 1% of transmission.

The Star has an interesting article on this subject, and community transmission. Again, the danger associated with spending an extended amount of time with other people in an enclosed space without a mask has been established, so closing restaurants is a sensible precaution, whether or not a definite number or proportion of cases can be linked to them.

The Star has an interesting article on this subject, and community transmission. Again, the danger associated with spending an extended amount of time with other people in an enclosed space without a mask has been established, so closing restaurants is a sensible precaution, whether or not a definite number or proportion of cases can be linked to them.

I was at Jack Astors back in July and nobody was wearing a mask inside the restaurant. They were enjoying their beers and waiting for their food.

You may not have a direct link but it is a plausible one and always will be until you have a food port through the mask.

I was thinking of the vaccine roll-out in 2021 and the timelines just keeps looking worse. Trudeau is suggesting a best-case scenerio is 50% +1 by September 2021, meaning it’s possible that by the end of 2021 some Canadians who want a vaccine still won’t be inoculated. These projections make it hard to envision what an end to the pandemic looks like.

The reality seems like more Canadians will contract covid-19 in 2021 than 2020. It looks like probably once frontline healthcare workers and the elderly are vaccinated in quarter one and two, we should probably just open up the economy (with sensible health protocols like masking etc.) even if case-loads explode.

I was thinking of the vaccine roll-out in 2021 and the timelines just keeps looking worse. Trudeau is suggesting a best-case scenerio is 50% +1 by September 2021, meaning it’s possible that by the end of 2021 some Canadians who want a vaccine still won’t be inoculated. These projections make it hard to envision what an end to the pandemic looks like.

The reality seems like more Canadians will contract covid-19 in 2021 than 2020. It looks like probably once frontline healthcare workers and the elderly are vaccinated in quarter one and two, we should probably just open up the economy (with sensible health protocols like masking etc.) even if case-loads explode.

As I said to my cousin I doubt there will be another large scale global shutdown next year.

Places like Europe and the Caribbean rely on tourism for their economies to thrive. Other places like Asia need to produce goods for the world which people aren't buying as everything shuts down.

Yes a vaccine is close but I can see a few destabilized governments and widespread unrest if we have prolonged global shutdown into next fall or longer.

Not every country and person will be vaccinated until the fall (at best) but something has got to give otherwise things will get bad fast as pandemic fatigue sets in. Think about it, anti-maskers and those who are just tired of all these lockdowns are gaining strength. Their movements are growing and eventually they may become militant.

The airline and cruise industries can't survive being shut down for another complete season. Resorts need people to avoid financial collapse.

For those reasons I can see the global economy opening up next year.

As I said to my cousin I doubt there will be another large scale global shutdown next year.

Places like Europe and the Caribbean rely on tourism for their economies to thrive. Other places like Asia need to produce goods for the world which people aren't buying as everything shuts down.

Yes a vaccine is close but I can see a few destabilized governments and widespread unrest if we have prolonged global shutdown into next fall or longer.

Not every country and person will be vaccinated until the fall (at best) but something has got to give otherwise things will get bad fast as pandemic fatigue sets in. Think about it, anti-maskers and those who are just tired of all these lockdowns are gaining strength. Their movements are growing and eventually they may become militant.

The airline and cruise industries can't survive being shut down for another complete season. Resorts need people to avoid financial collapse.

For those reasons I can see the global economy opening up next year.
You may be right but I think you are much too optimistic. Yes, places like cruise ships may 'open up' again but until their customers feel comfortable they will not do well. Though it was, until recently, allowed to eat indoors (with limits) but most people did not flock to do so and many people are /were not keen even to eat/drink outside. Malls were open for weeks but on the one time I walked into the Eaton Centre to go east to west it looked VERY empty. Just because places may be allowed to open does not mean their customers will all return!

Cruise ships are operating. I get called weekly to rebook (I had a cruise booked for September). It will be a long time before you'll see me cruising again. So I agree with DSC, it's not so much about the regulations as it is about comfort levels.

Perhaps but I still maintain that after a year of lockdown people are looking for release.

There are tiktok videos on the internet from the UK joking about boinking the mailman because he's the only person they see during lockdown.

It's human nature, we can't be cooped forever without snapping like a twig.

I travel regularly. I greatly miss travel. But I won't be doing it again until I feel safe. I get out every day. I don't feel cooped up. I do feel for those who have experienced real lockdowns where they couldn't leave their homes. That's a much worse situation than here. We can still travel within much of Canada and day trips are certainly an option that I have enjoyed.

Cruise ships are operating. I get called weekly to rebook (I had a cruise booked for September). It will be a long time before you'll see me cruising again. So I agree with DSC, it's not so much about the regulations as it is about comfort levels.

Yep Cruise ships are operating. Although not off to a good start. Even with all the Covid safety protocols, they still cannot control the virus.

This cruise ship only had 53 passengers and 5 already got Covid

I travel regularly. I greatly miss travel. But I won't be doing it again until I feel safe. I get out every day. I don't feel cooped up. I do feel for those who have experienced real lockdowns where they couldn't leave their homes. That's a much worse situation than here. We can still travel within much of Canada and day trips are certainly an option that I have enjoyed.

I for one am planning a vacation next year. I get some people are not comfortable but I am not going to let covid control my life.

I am not anti anything nor do I think anything is a hoax but I am a realist and I will not hide under a rock until 2022. I plan to take the proper precautions but I am not keen on sitting at home gripped by paranoia forever.

Just watching the news. 18 students test positive for covid-19 at Thorncliff park public school as part of the asymptomatic testing program. All asymptomatic.

Yes, yes, yes. Sentinel and proxy monitoring testing in community hubs in high positivity rate neighbourhoods. It’s like someone actually did something smart after 9-months!

Back