News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It’s amazing to me how many people don’t know what is going on around them. In our local FB group, every day someone asks where the clinics are, how to get an appointment etc.

It’s amazing to me how many people don’t know what is going on around them.
I've mostly tuned out of going on around me. I'm double vaxed, I don't go to theatres or malls, or eat inside restaurants. I just carry on WFH and continue to social distance. Every so often I look at the Covid stats to confirm that most of the hospitalizations are the unvaxed, smh at their stupidity and carry on.

Outside of Covid, the rest of the news is just a depressing pile of wild fires, drought, biblical misfortune for Haiti, troubles in Afghanistan, etc. etc.

I've mostly tuned out of going on around me. I'm double vaxed, I don't go to theatres or malls, or eat inside restaurants. I just carry on WFH and continue to social distance. Every so often I look at the Covid stats to confirm that most of the hospitalizations are the unvaxed, smh at their stupidity and carry on.

Outside of Covid, the rest of the news is just a depressing pile of wild fires, drought, biblical misfortune for Haiti, troubles in Afghanistan, etc. etc.

We should be thankful for the relative stability we are having (the fires in BC and the ongoing drought in the prairies notwithstanding).

AoD

And yet you know that something is happening in Haiti and Afghanistan, and you knew how to get vaxxed. I’m talking about a much broader state of oblivion.

Wonder if we will see 700 ish tomorrow....

I think Israel is a bit of a preview of what we can expect in a couple months.

It’s amazing to me how many people don’t know what is going on around them. In our local FB group, every day someone asks where the clinics are, how to get an appointment etc.

I've thought the same thing for a while. I get there may be cultural, language, mobility, etc. issues, folks not being able to attend daytime clinics for whatever reasons, particularly in early days, but at some point do we have to literally go door to door? How can people have the time, money and mobility to know that Canada's Wonderland is open, then get there and say ' a vaccine clinic - what a grand idea, I think I'll get one'.

News Release

August 16, 2021

Toronto Public Health reporting more than 98 per cent of hospitalized COVID-19 patients not fully vaccinated

Toronto Public Health is reporting that, since May 1, 98.7 per cent of hospitalized COVID-19 cases with known vaccination status were not fully vaccinated. Fully vaccinated people have greater protection against COVID-19 than unvaccinated people, including against the Delta variant.

Today, Mayor John Tory and Medical Officer of Health Dr. Eileen de Villa visited a youth-focused pop-up clinic at Albion Mall in Etobicoke. Mayor Tory and Dr. de Villa urged everyone who is not yet fully vaccinated – particularly youth heading back to school in-person this fall – to get vaccinated as soon as possible.

Toronto Public Health is reporting 371 new cases of COVID-19 in Toronto since August 13 – a daily average of 124 new cases. Since the start of the pandemic, there have been a total of 172,243 cases of COVID-19. There are 17 people hospitalized. To date, there have been 3,616 COVID-19 deaths in Toronto. In total, 167,445 people have recovered. COVID-19 case status data can be found on Toronto Public Health’s reporting dashboard: www.toronto.ca/home/covid-19/covid-19-latest-city-of-toronto-news/covid-19-status-of-cases-in-toronto/.

Starting this Friday, Toronto Public Health will be updating information on the total vaccine doses delivered in Toronto on Tuesdays and Fridays by 9:30 a.m.: www.toronto.ca/home/covid-19/covid-19-latest-city-of-toronto-news/covid-19-pandemic-data/covid-19-vaccine-data/.

Currently in Toronto, 74.3 per cent of people age 12 and older are now fully vaccinated, having received both vital doses of COVID-19 vaccine. All people age 12 and older needing a first or second dose of COVID-19 vaccine should get vaccinated immediately and join the 81.7 per cent of eligible Torontonians who have initiated vaccination.

Wonder if we will see 700 ish tomorrow....

I think Israel is a bit of a preview of what we can expect in a couple months.

I have read that the delay between the two vaccines as well as the time elapsed since vaccination might have an impact - our schedule here in Ontario (8 to 12 weeks between doses) might actually provide better immunity than the 3 weeks initially recommended for the Pfizer vaccine, for example.

And yet you know that something is happening in Haiti and Afghanistan, and you knew how to get vaxxed. I’m talking about a much broader state of oblivion.
Little off-topic to COVID but I've been thinking about this in the last day too especially given how many social media (instagram) posts that I have seen pop with the "What is going on in Afghanistan" threads in recent days.

Usually I don't mind such social media explainer posts because if there is civil unrest in say Myanmar or somewhere, as I can understand it isn't really a place that is on the radar to the vast majority of people. However, the Western world has spent two decades at war with and putting boots on the ground in Afghanistan. How are so many people still so ignorant of the War in Afghanistan?

I guess this is the world we live in, most people live their lives blissfully unaware of the world around them. I just have to accept that, since I can't relate to it at all. It is impossible for me to turn off the part of my brain that stays cognizant of world events, even if I am not actively paying attention to any news.

I've thought the same thing for a while. I get there may be cultural, language, mobility, etc. issues, folks not being able to attend daytime clinics for whatever reasons, particularly in early days, but at some point do we have to literally go door to door? How can people have the time, money and mobility to know that Canada's Wonderland is open, then get there and say ' a vaccine clinic - what a grand idea, I think I'll get one'.
They were giving out vaccines at the National Bank Open last week, even giving out $50 gift cards to people who received it. My father got his second dose there since they had Pfizer and my dad did not want to mix shots with Moderna. So yes, I think if Canada's Wonderland had a clinic on-site, that would be a great idea.

In Afghanistan, as of 2 days ago, 1.81M doses were administered, 219K people were fully vaccinated, or 0.6% of the total population.

I can't take in the news anymore, it's exhausting. When I do check the stats it cofirms that getting vaccinated and continuing to social distance is all I can do. Sometimes you have to keep going the best way you know how.

From CP24:

So it's not really an order for mandatory vaccination.

AoD
"Staff in those sectors who don't get vaccinated against COVID-19 will have to regularly take rapid COVID-19 tests."

Little off-topic to COVID but I've been thinking about this in the last day too especially given how many social media (instagram) posts that I have seen pop with the "What is going on in Afghanistan" threads in recent days.

Usually I don't mind such social media explainer posts because if there is civil unrest in say Myanmar or somewhere, as I can understand it isn't really a place that is on the radar to the vast majority of people. However, the Western world has spent two decades at war with and putting boots on the ground in Afghanistan. How are so many people still so ignorant of the War in Afghanistan?
I remember writing a school paper on the war in Afghanistan. Not this one though - the Soviet-Afghan War. In 1980...

Back